How would you answer a politically charged writing prompt on the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEE ADAMA WILLIAMS

Reaction score
I have noticed an alarming number of writing prompts on practice PCAT tests that are asking me to provide a solution to what is obviously a politically charged question such as: "Discuss a solution to the problem of establishing gun control in the united states" or "discuss a solution to the unequal treatment of women in the workplace". Answering these questions obviously relies VERY heavily on the individuals political ideology. My guess would be that most ppl grading the PCAT are Democrat/Progressive/Left/ etc. "whats in a name?"

Should I answer these question from a strict left wing progressive perspective, because thats arguably what they want to hear ? or Do they want me to discuss both the left and the right perspectives and elaborate on a compromise ? Or do they want me to dismiss the problem outright ? ie stating there is no problem and heres why ?

Please dont turn this thread into a political echochamber or discussion of politics, I need useful feedback on HOW TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably express what you actually believe (which could be reconciling compromising viewpoints), but in a way that shows you actually thought about the issue and proposed a real argument/solution.

A common piece of advice is to not try to write "what they want to hear" for a reason. If they are willing to reject you for taking your stance, would they be a good fit for you anyway?

Reactions: 1 user
Answer it however you wish.

Pharmacy schools won’t care at the end of they day as long as you qualify for $200k+ in student loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should probably express what you actually believe (which could be reconciling compromising viewpoints), but in a way that shows you actually thought about the issue and proposed a real argument/solution.

A common piece of advice is to not try to write "what they want to hear" for a reason. If they are willing to reject you for taking your stance, would they be a good fit for you anyway?
Thanks for all the advice youve given me on this

I have noticed an alarming number of writing prompts on practice PCAT tests that are asking me to provide a solution to what is obviously a politically charged question such as: "Discuss a solution to the problem of establishing gun control in the united states" or "discuss a solution to the unequal treatment of women in the workplace". Answering these questions obviously relies VERY heavily on the individuals political ideology. My guess would be that most ppl grading the PCAT are Democrat/Progressive/Left/ etc. "whats in a name?"

Should I answer these question from a strict left wing progressive perspective, because thats arguably what they want to hear ? or Do they want me to discuss both the left and the right perspectives and elaborate on a compromise ? Or do they want me to dismiss the problem outright ? ie stating there is no problem and heres why ?

Please dont turn this thread into a political echochamber or discussion of politics, I need useful feedback on HOW TO ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS
I'm going to go against the advise provided above. Write what the schools want to hear. Getting into school is your priority. Feel free to discuss your own political views afterward. Good luck!

Anyone with experience in debating, will tell you that the best debaters can debate either side of the argument. Because you can't argue for or against something, if you don't know your opponents reasons. As a debater, you have to be prepared to answer any argument your opponent throw up at you, to do that you have to study and know all the arguments of your opponent. So a good debater, they can defend either side of the argument, regardless of what they personally believe.

I think the PCAT essays are meant to be an ethical question. Nobody really cares what your answer is, they care about how well you defend your answer. If you just "write what the schools want to hear" (which you really don't know), you run the risk of sounding pandering. If you are going to argue for a viewpoint other than what you personally believe, make sure you can defend it intelligently. Many people are not able/practiced enough to do this, which is why it is better for you to write from your own personal beliefs.

But bottomline, the PCAT essay are a holdover from 15 - 20 years ago when pharmacy school was competitive. Pharmacy school is now the opposite of competitive. A substandard essay is not going to keep you from being admitted.

Go neutral. Say it’s complicated and then articulate both sides in a very simple and generous way

Lol who cares? I know students who have been admitted to pharm school with less than 3.0 overall GPA and < 50 on their PCATs. Some schools don't even require you to take the exam for their admission. Like someone already mentioned- if you qualify for loans and make it sound like you have a burning passion for pharmacy, they'll take you in.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm going to go against the advise provided above. Write what the schools want to hear. Getting into school is your priority. Feel free to discuss your own political views afterward. Good luck!
but the schools dont see it.. its a PCAT writing prompt

Lol who cares? I know students who have been admitted to pharm school with less than 3.0 overall GPA and < 50 on their PCATs. Some schools don't even require you to take the exam for their admission. Like someone already mentioned- if you qualify for loans and make it sound like you have a burning passion for pharmacy, they'll take you in.
[/QUOTE

of the schools I am applying to most have an average marticulant GPA of 3.5 and a PCAT score of 79%

• Haha