How would you handle this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hcp

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If it was me, I would have told her to wash her dirty mouth and just ignore her since it was a dual lane drive thru...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aONzgInxhg[/YOUTUBE]

Would you handle this in a different way?

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the way she was abusing the staff members, I would inform her that we are not going to provide her service in any way from this point on, and if she does not leave immedately we will call the police. At that point, I would terminate communication with her. If she does not leave within 1 minute, I would call the police to file a report.

The customer never deserves to be abused, the employee also never deserves to be abused.

If the customer was unhappy about the service she received, there are comment cards for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The person recording should have found some youtube violin music on their cell phone and blasted it on their speakers.

Sounds like this situation could have be avoided with a phone call. If the patient had been there 3 previous times and the med hadn't come in (sounds like it was a med on shortage or she came in on a Friday and they were out), she may have thought to call before going back. Some people are looking for confrontation and it seems like this lady is one of them.

Call police. Tell her to leave. No amount of dissatisfaction, pain, annoyance, etc gives you the right to swear at an employee.

Based on the way she was abusing the staff members, I would inform her that we are not going to provide her service in any way from this point on, and if she does not leave immedately we will call the police. At that point, I would terminate communication with her. If she does not leave within 1 minute, I would call the police to file a report.

The customer never deserves to be abused, the employee also never deserves to be abused.

If the customer was unhappy about the service she received, there are comment cards for that.

At most Walgreens districts and most other retail, you WILL get written up for refusing service for situations like this if it results in a corporate complaint. You will be expected to just take whatever verbal abuse comes at you. My partner pharmacist has been forced to put up with racial slurs being thrown at his techs, and the customer will still receive $100 gift cards from management to keep them happy and prevent corporate complaints. Most pharmacy supervisors will point out what you could have done to prevent the customer from blowing up and that will be your learning point. You'll no doubt hear employees say they would refuse them service and stick up for themselves, but retail pharmacy is a service industry and pharmacists must bend over backwards and put up with unbelievably disrespectful conduct from customers in order to keep the scripts being sold.

Once she curses at me or any of my staff, I'm done speaking with her. If she doesn't leave I call the cops. There's no need for that.

1. The pharmacist needs to take over.
2. Apologize to the customer. Offer to have the medication delivered for free. Waive any remaining copay.
3. Put a better system in place so customers are informed if a partial fill has occurred. Either place a phone call first, or definitely tell them when they come to pickup. You may need up to 5 days to get the medication from the best source, but work with the customer, do what suits them best and always keep them informed of any hiccups.

I have years and years of retail experience and let me tell you something, I do not let people cuss me out, period. I have been cussed at a hand full of times in years and years of working multiple retail jobs. When I was relatively new I just took it and complained later. Now, no way. I will give someone ONE chance after they have cussed at me. I let them know that isn't going to fly and if it happens again they will be asked to leave. It really is as simple as that. This idea that you just have to take whatever abuse they give you is BS. Make sure your boss knows that you give good service and you are golden, IMO.

One of the traits common to the best supervisors I have ever had is that they would put themselves in the way of a subordinate being abused. I even had one supervisor put his person between me and a person off the street threatening me (for asking her to leave a private facility). At a certain point, there is a reason they are managing and I am working for them. That being said, I have no problem dealing with abuse in person or over the phone (and have quite a bit of experience doing it professionally).

When I become the pharmacist, it is my opinion that it is not my tech's job to be abused. This was the same when I was "just" a team lead and one of the other folks had an issue. I even stayed one time off the clock for twenty minutes to help diffuse a situation & protect my coworker from a nasty event coordinator I overheard becoming verbally abusive as I came back for my coat. She ended up thanking us and apologizing later.

In case the question was serious, my response at the point captured in the video (assuming it got to that point) would have been to let her blow off steam, then let her know what her options are. If she continued to interrupt me or cuss at me, I would set some ground rules. If she violated the ground rules, I would return her prescription (if I could legally) and let her know that I am sorry I was unable to resolve the situation to her satisfaction, but I am done with the conversation until we can have a discussion in an appropriate and respectful fashion. If it escalated from there, I would ask her where she would like me to transfer her prescriptions to. Usually an off-the-wall question like the transfer question will shock a person into listening. If not, I would ask her to leave & follow up appropriately.

I understand people are human, and I try to give them benefit of doubt where possible. But if you can't get a hold of yourself and act like a person, that's where I draw the line.

Out of curiosity: what would you do if this was a schizophrenic? What's the most professional way to deflate this situation? Bonus points since it's across glass.

Good question.

I don't take verbal abuse. When people try that **** on me, I'll troll them to the point where they try to physically attack me, giving me cause to physically attack them.

I am actually drinking tonight, so I better go pour myself a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why didn't she hang up on the patient? You don't have to take that kind of verbal abuse.

The woman in the car wasted time and energy yelling at the drive-thru. Could have saved gas (I say that because she mentioned it in the video) and a lot of time by walking into the store and just talking to someone.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity: what would you do if this was a schizophrenic? What's the most professional way to deflate this situation? Bonus points since it's across glass.

We have one patient like that at my CVS. She is a nightmare when she goes off her meds. I have no easy answer for that. We have had to kick her out several times for being disruptive. Very sad.

Im interested to know what the med was she was trying to get. The fact that she had gone 4 times to get the med is pretty crappy. Having said that, perhaps this woman was mentally ill. maybe is was a psyche drug she needed. Who knows. But i do not think i could have kept my composure if she spoke like that to me. glad i do not work for any chain anymore.

A comment card??? Really???

I don't know but having to go to walgreens four times and they still don't have the pills would be a PITA. Especially after you pay for it. They should have just not filled the stuff to begin with or ordered it when they were supposed to....if it was psyche meds, that's even worse!

With that said, I would never take that kind of verbal abuse. And I've got thick skin but the "stupid ****" is too far.

Would it have been illegal for me to just give the lady 5 of my own dollars?

I don't want to work retail. Working in the barrio as a tech was enough....

A comment card??? Really???

I don't know but having to go to walgreens four times and they still don't have the pills would be a PITA. Especially after you pay for it. They should have just not filled the stuff to begin with or ordered it when they were supposed to....if it was psyche meds, that's even worse!

With that said, I would never take that kind of verbal abuse. And I've got thick skin but the "stupid ****" is too far.

Would it have been illegal for me to just give the lady 5 of my own dollars?

I don't want to work retail. Working in the barrio as a tech was enough....

:thumbup:

Please someone get that stupid bitches license plate number and find out who she is. Then post this video with her name all over it. Stupid people like this should get dragged out back and the **** beat out of them.

Yup, 4.5 yrs later, I still don't miss retail!

You should deny them, generics are the way to go.

I tear up everytime I think of those poor people I have prevented from getting thier brand name only Lipitor. They are going to be suffering all these terrible side effects like a third eye growing on thier forehead and severe diarrhea that caused them to crap out their liver even though the generic was relesed one day ago and they have paid claims for the brand name every 30 days for the last 5 years. I am a bad man....

I tear up everytime I think of those poor people I have prevented from getting thier brand name only Lipitor. They are going to be suffering all these terrible side effects like a third eye growing on thier forehead and severe diarrhea that caused them to crap out their liver even though the generic was relesed one day ago and they have paid claims for the brand name every 30 days for the last 5 years. I am a bad man....

Can you please get brand diovan/hct off the darn formulary. Damn rebates.

I would scream, "LEAVE ME ALONE I AM FRIENDS WITH PHARMB!" into the microphone and then proceed to lock myself in the restroom until the end of my shift.

1. The pharmacist needs to take over.
2. Apologize to the customer. Offer to have the medication delivered for free. Waive any remaining copay.
3. Put a better system in place so customers are informed if a partial fill has occurred. Either place a phone call first, or definitely tell them when they come to pickup. You may need up to 5 days to get the medication from the best source, but work with the customer, do what suits them best and always keep them informed of any hiccups.

And people wonder why pharmacists are such pushovers because of dumba** advice like this. Yes you money greedy wh*** provide them a gift card and offer free delivery and wave that $5 copay. Get treated like sh** for $5 and $2 insurance reimbursement for the rest of your life?

What a joke..

If you don't know what integrity is, google it.

I been an RPh for a year and a half and banned 2 fukin as**olese from my store. I'm not making a point. I'm saying when people treat you like shi* you don't have to provide service for them. In case you forgot, you are a health care professional and you don't have to provide service to such people.

If she came up to my staff like this, I would have give her Rx back and said your banned from the store because of this. Its recorded on camera and dont come back. CVS and WAGS are so big that throwing away a customer like this doesn't hurt the business.

Say if you don't take my advice and continue providing them service.. Next time tell them you don't feel comfortable filling their prescription. See what they say. There is no way they can sue you.

This is why I hate corporate pharmacy. But I use them to the max

I don't take verbal abuse. When people try that **** on me, I'll troll them to the point where they try to physically attack me, giving me cause to physically attack them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

wow, watch out for toughy mcgee over here.
Please see section 240.26 of your state's penal code.
Mutual combat is not a valid defense in your lovely state.

My first year as a retail technician I had a patient who did this to me when I had bent over backwards to try and find out why her co-pay on her inhaler went up, she started screaming and cussing at me and for some reason I stood there apologizing and trying to be nice. When my pharmacy manager was done helping a patient he ran over to see what was going on and I started crying. He went and got her prescription put it through the door and said to her "you should be ashamed of the way you just treated her and I would NEVER want a patient like you in my pharmacy" the lady was SHOCKED and drove off. She didn't call corporate because I think she was embarrassed and realized how mean she was being.

After that I have never let a customer treat me that way I always stop them in their tracks and let them know they are being abusive in some way.

And people wonder why pharmacists are such pushovers because of dumba** advice like this. Yes you money greedy wh*** provide them a gift card and offer free delivery and wave that $5 copay. Get treated like sh** for $5 and $2 insurance reimbursement for the rest of your life?

What a joke..

If you don't know what integrity is, google it.

I been an RPh for a year and a half and banned 2 fukin as**olese from my store. I'm not making a point. I'm saying when people treat you like shi* you don't have to provide service for them. In case you forgot, you are a health care professional and you don't have to provide service to such people.

If she came up to my staff like this, I would have give her Rx back and said your banned from the store because of this. Its recorded on camera and dont come back. CVS and WAGS are so big that throwing away a customer like this doesn't hurt the business.

Say if you don't take my advice and continue providing them service.. Next time tell them you don't feel comfortable filling their prescription. See what they say. There is no way they can sue you.

This is why I hate corporate pharmacy. But I use them to the max
Take a step back and look at what you wrote and you'll see that you are just as much of a hot head as the customer. Put both of you in a ring together and that'll make for some quality pay-per-view entertainment.

Steps 1 and 2 are there to defuse an already bad situation. I don't want to be a pushover, and I don't want to condone behavior like this. But in the immediate situation, if it comes down to a $5 copay or possibly getting fired for too many complaints, I'll give the $5. (Side note: you never know who you are up against. A coworker got fired for getting into an argument with the wife of a corporate higher up.) Of course, in the grand scheme of things, I don't want these things occurring repeatedly so I'll try to prevent them from happening altogether through step 3. A simple phone call was all it would have taken to prevent this confrontation.

'Integrity' is part of the problem. The values and principles that you try to uphold consistently are different to mine, those of the customer, and in fact, also different to those of retail pharmacy. I don't blame you for it because we are health care professionals and we were taught nothing about customer service principles in school. But retail is totally about customer service so that makes you like a fish out of water. Take a look at cops, flight attendants, call center reps, etc. They all know a thing or two about defusing conflicts and providing customer service, and they still do it with professionalism and integrity. I hope that one day you realize this and drop the attitude that you are above it all, and that your values and principles are always right. Otherwise these sort of confrontations will just happen over and over again until you get sick of it and quit, or get fired.

Last edited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FopyRHHlt3M

wow, watch out for toughy mcgee over here.
Please see section 240.26 of your state's penal code.
Mutual combat is not a valid defense in your lovely state.

S 240.26 Harassment in the second degree.
A person is guilty of harassment in the second degree when, with
intent to harass, annoy or alarm another person:
1. He or she strikes, shoves, kicks or otherwise subjects such other
person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same; or
2. He or she follows a person in or about a public place or places; or
3. He or she engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts
which alarm or seriously annoy such other person and which serve no
legitimate purpose.
Subdivisions two and three of this section shall not apply to
activities regulated by the national labor relations act, as amended,
the railway labor act, as amended, or the federal employment labor
management act, as amended.

Yeah, I don't see where I'd be in the wrong here.

Customer comes into the pharmacy yelling and screaming and cursing --> I do nothing to help them and talk to them in a way that makes them more annoyed --> they try to hit me, I knock them out.

No way that I would get in trouble since they escalated to physical contact first. Besides, I have friends who are officers and detectives at the local precinct.

So you want to be a pharmacist? Working in retail is probably one of the most stressful and humiliating jobs. During my 4th year, I came to my pharmacist defense. He was treating her like crap and screamed how she is so incompetent Why? Because she told him that for the company to price match Costco price, she has to call Costco each time. Reasonable since drug price changes all of the the times. I went off on him. He complained to corp. I didn't care. I had enough and quit 2 weeks later. One of the best decisions I ever made

Theres a good chance that this women was given the runaround a few times by people who didn't know what they are talking about (definitely doesn't excuse her behavior). This situation happens all the time... someone comes into the pharmacy, gets a partial and is told than it will be in the next day, Pharmacist is supposed to order the drug, sometimes they forget (one in particular at my store), they come back the next day and it's not there, then is told it will be there the day after, Pharmacist number 2 tries to order it and the warehouse is out or it's unavailable for whatever reason, can't call the patient because we have the wrong phone number. That person comes in the next day, and tech at register see's that it is deferred yet again for the next day because it's unavailable and we're trying to get it transferred from another store or the Pharmacist just left it at that, "oh, it must not have come in, we'll have it tomorrow", person comes in yet again and blows a gasket.

I had one guy say he was going to shoot the pharmacist I work with in the face, good ol' brooklyn.

The madder they get, the nicer I get (even if it is fake:smuggrin: ). It usually gets them more fired up until they realize I'm actually trying to resolve the situation or they get so mad they leave. In any event, it only bothers me when I'm uber busy as it typically takes at least 5 mins to resolve their concerns when they hit boiling point.

It's all about communication.
I've defused several really bad situations just by relating to the person.
"I can definitely understand why you're upset" or "it's perfectly normal for you to feel upset" goes a long way with this type of person.

They're lashing out because they feel victimized; they're not actually mad at you or the tech.
Making them feel like you're the one person in the entire corporation who can actually help them usually works to calm them down, IMHO.

PROTIP for all of the tough guys in this thread:

breathe in deeply and slowly for 5 seconds, and exhale slowly for 5 seconds. Repeat until your fantasies of assaulting patients go away.
Speaking of:
Yeah, I don't see where I'd be in the wrong here.
Customer comes into the pharmacy yelling and screaming and cursing --> I do nothing to help them and talk to them in a way that makes them more annoyed --> they try to hit me, I knock them out.
No way that I would get in trouble since they escalated to physical contact first. Besides, I have friends who are officers and detectives at the local precinct.

I suddenly realized that you're serious, and actually believe that:
a.) you can provoke someone into physical assault without being held accountable
b.) you're a kung fu master that can cause enough trauma to knock someone out without killing or maiming them
c.) that your cop buddies would risk their jobs to cover up your case.

My face when:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWMG8xiXIYg

Take a step back and look at what you wrote and you'll see that you are just as much of a hot head as the customer. Put both of you in a ring together and that'll make for some quality pay-per-view entertainment.

Steps 1 and 2 are there to defuse an already bad situation. I don't want to be a pushover, and I don't want to condone behavior like this. But in the immediate situation, if it comes down to a $5 copay or possibly getting fired for too many complaints, I'll give the $5. (Side note: you never know who you are up against. A coworker got fired for getting into an argument with the wife of a corporate higher up.) Of course, in the grand scheme of things, I don't want these things occurring repeatedly so I'll try to prevent them from happening altogether through step 3. A simple phone call was all it would have taken to prevent this confrontation.

'Integrity' is part of the problem. The values and principles that you try to uphold consistently are different to mine, those of the customer, and in fact, also different to those of retail pharmacy. I don't blame you for it because we are health care professionals and we were taught nothing about customer service principles in school. But retail is totally about customer service so that makes you like a fish out of water. Take a look at cops, flight attendants, call center reps, etc. They all know a thing or two about defusing conflicts and providing customer service, and they still do it with professionalism and integrity. I hope that one day you realize this and drop the attitude that you are above it all, and that your values and principles are always right. Otherwise these sort of confrontations will just happen over and over again until you get sick of it and quit, or get fired.

Actually your right, and I'm wrong, I'm sorry, for real. I actually wrote that post 4 beers in, I don't know what I was thinking. Lesson learned for me, don't go on SDN while drinking beers.

Actually your right, and I'm wrong, I'm sorry, for real. I actually wrote that post 4 beers in, I don't know what I was thinking. Lesson learned for me, don't go on SDN while drinking beers.

You can still get an RPh degree?

It's all about communication.
I've defused several really bad situations just by relating to the person.
"I can definitely understand why you're upset" or "it's perfectly normal for you to feel upset" goes a long way with this type of person.

They're lashing out because they feel victimized; they're not actually mad at you or the tech.
Making them feel like you're the one person in the entire corporation who can actually help them usually works to calm them down, IMHO.

PROTIP for all of the tough guys in this thread:

breathe in deeply and slowly for 5 seconds, and exhale slowly for 5 seconds. Repeat until your fantasies of assaulting patients go away.

Finally, a voice of reason on SDN!!