How would you interpret this feedback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m finishing peds residency and feel like I’m just very mediocre and not ready to practice in the real world. I received this feedback after an intensive outpatient clinic rotation and felt so disappointed at the part “misses important details in anticipatory guidance”
Would you overall interpret this as positive or negative feedback? Or in between?
“we see improvement in autonomy over time. On occasion, has missed important details for
anticipatory guidance. Thorough presentations. Great teaching during the didactic sessions. does well
with students. She did a nice job handling challenging cases. She was efficient and able to generate
appropriate plans for her patients. She was eager to learn. She used her downtime to work with the
nursing team and learn new skills. We all enjoyed working with her during her rotation”

Members don't see this ad.

You're focusing on the one negative line, and missing the four good ones :) It's feedback, they're almost required to give you some points to work on, and they said it's only "on occasion."

You're not going to be a finished product at the end of residency. As much as you learn in 3 years of residency, my friends in gen peds have told me you probably learn just as much in your first year as an attending. I would say this feedback is perfectly fine.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As the others have said, the negative line isn't that bad. We give so much "anticipatory guidance" that it's normal for anyone to miss some items. Since it's a no-no to say "needs to read more", I think they were just trying to balance the positive with "something to work on".

Very few people are 'ready' to practice in the real world. There is a steep learning curve to being an attending and not having anyone to back up your decisions. Your evaluation was overall very positive--just work on the anticipatory guidance.

Looks very positive to me. I know we tend to try to be perfectionists in this field, but nobody is perfect. They gotta write something so you know what to get even better at.