waterski232002

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
847
1
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
Here's some programs I am considering very highly (in no specific order)...

- NYU
- Brigham
- Northwestern
- Cook County
- UChicago

How would you guys rank them??? I have a ton of friends in chicago and know I would be happy there. But I would also be happy in any really big city with a good social scene. Also, I would like to keep my options open with a possible career in academics and am considering doing a fellowship in critical care.... I really like sick patients. Lastly, I don't particularly want to get worked to death to the point of exhaustion.

I realize the decision is ultimately mine... but any input, advice, suggestions would be appreciated... Feel free to actually rank them on here based on what I said are my goals.
 

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
1,998
15
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I can't help with ranking those programs (didn't interview at any of them) but I can offer you this light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel:

Once you've made your decision and certified your list, life gets sweet. My blood pressure dropped at least 20 mm after I certified my list and promised myself I'd leave it the hell alone.

Good luck!

Take care,
Jeff
 

paisley05

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2003
32
0
Visit site
Status
Hey waterski,
Totally understand your dilemma. I think that any of these will leave your options for an academic career wide open. The Chicago programs esp. U of C and NW seem to work less hours than NYU and Brigham (don't know much about Cook, it's the only one I didn't interview at). All have extremely sick patients. If you're planning on a fellowship, I would say three years is the way to go. So here would be my list (I am not bashing any of these programs, they are all excellent and will give you what you're looking for.)
1. U of C (three years, flight experience)
2-3. NW (lots of critical care)
2-3. NYU
4. Brigham (I don't like Boston as much as Chicago and NY)
5. Cook (transition year and I'm less familiar with the program)

Also, I rotated at U of C and thought that it was a fantastic program. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about my time there.
Good luck and remember it's just my opinion.
paisley
 

Purulent DC

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
75
0
Visit site
Status
I'd put Cook County at #1 and rank the others as you see fit.

I don't really get all the hype about going to 3 year only EM programs. By doing a 4 year program, your intern year will make you a better ED doc in so many ways, particularly in that you will work in other fields (IM, cards, peds, trauma surg. neuro., ICU, etc.) that will put you on the receiving end of admitted patients and give you greater exposure as to what it's like being a consultant called down to the ED. This will help you immensely in optimally packaging patients in the ED who are being admitted, and in gaining the respect of your non ED colleagues. Also, by getting further exposure to IM, you will have a much more solid foundation of medicine than the average ED doc who primarily manages acute issues exclusively, to the exclusion of preventive care or definitive treatment and follow up.
 

po' boy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2001
224
4
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
i would agree with paisley's -- U of C first, then NW. Then Cook, since it sounds like being in Chicago is more important to you than just being in a "big city" i.e. New York, though i don't like their 2-4 format. Then NYU, then Brigham.
 

ms.beth

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2005
11
0
nyc
Status
Same question (rank?) or opinions good or bad on the following: Please help!!
Duke, Yale, USF, Emory, EVMS, Allegheny, UF, UCONN
 

bcrosspac

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2002
61
0
Fayetteville, NC
Visit site
Status
ms.beth said:
Same question (rank?) or opinions good or bad on the following: Please help!!
Duke, Yale, USF, Emory, EVMS, Allegheny, UF, UCONN
If you have specific questions regarding Duke, please feel free to ask here or PM me. I do not feel that being under surgery is in any way a negative for us. Surgery is a very powerful entity here and gives us some clout as well. In the distant future, we may be our own department but not for now.
 
OP
waterski232002

waterski232002

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
847
1
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
waterski232002 said:
- NYU
- Brigham
- Northwestern
- Cook County
- UChicago

I have a ton of friends in chicago and know I would be happy there. But I would also be happy in any really big city with a good social scene. Also, I would like to keep my options open with a possible career in academics and am considering doing a fellowship in critical care.... I really like sick patients. Lastly, I don't particularly want to get worked to death to the point of exhaustion.
Any other suggestions on ranking these programs??? Order to rank?
 

odoreater

Cybernetic Ghost
15+ Year Member
May 18, 2003
2,878
110
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
waterski232002 said:
Any other suggestions on ranking these programs??? Order to rank?

I didn't interview at the Chicago programs, but I was at NYU and Bringam. Personally (especially as a born and raised Ny-er) I am ranking NYU #1---I really enjoyed their didactics/ morning conferences etc.

Bringam is ranked 6 for me.
 

Cardsman

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
19
0
Status
waterski232002 said:
Here's some programs I am considering very highly (in no specific order)...

- NYU
- Brigham
- Northwestern
- Cook County
- UChicago

How would you guys rank them??? I have a ton of friends in chicago and know I would be happy there. But I would also be happy in any really big city with a good social scene. Also, I would like to keep my options open with a possible career in academics and am considering doing a fellowship in critical care.... I really like sick patients. Lastly, I don't particularly want to get worked to death to the point of exhaustion.

I realize the decision is ultimately mine... but any input, advice, suggestions would be appreciated... Feel free to actually rank them on here based on what I said are my goals.
U of C is great & would prepare you well for a future in academics
 
OP
waterski232002

waterski232002

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
847
1
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
Cardsman... How do you know this? You are not even applying for Emergency Medicine???
 

Cardsman

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
19
0
Status
waterski232002 said:
Cardsman... How do you know this? You are not even applying for Emergency Medicine???
Waterski - I am applying into internal medicine, & since you stated that you were considering a fellowship in critical care and a future in academia, I thought I would give my input on its reputation in medicine. Take from it what you want.
 

NinerNiner999

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
1,516
228
Where it's at.
Status
Attending Physician
Any big name institution with a good Emergency Medicine program will prepare you for critical care fellowship. We have a 100% match rate here, but I can't speak for other institutions. I do know that critical care fellowships are difficult to get into through the ER pathway, and often times are more surgical-type programs than medical.
 

wolfmansbrother

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
2
0
Baltimore, MD
Status
waterski232002 said:
Any other suggestions on ranking these programs??? Order to rank?
You just gotta sit down, make your list out and go with it. no one is going to tell you anything earth shattering here. they're all great and all have their ups and downs. you're gonna drive yourself crazy trying to compare trauma experience, ultrasound, etc. like ripping a bandaid off, you know
 

EMApplicant

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
276
1
Status
wolfmansbrother said:
You just gotta sit down, make your list out and go with it. no one is going to tell you anything earth shattering here. they're all great and all have their ups and downs. you're gonna drive yourself crazy trying to compare trauma experience, ultrasound, etc. like ripping a bandaid off, you know
ya gotta do something to pass the time... ;)
 

EMApplicant

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
276
1
Status
odoreater said:
I didn't interview at the Chicago programs, but I was at NYU and Bringam. Personally (especially as a born and raised Ny-er) I am ranking NYU #1---I really enjoyed their didactics/ morning conferences etc.

Bringam is ranked 6 for me.
NYU is a tough one for me. I love the city and I think the didactics were great. They also have an amazingly diverse patient population.

It all seems great...BUT, the supposedly crappy ancillary staff leaves me wondering if that is where i'd want to train after all. I don't mind doing some scut, although i'll admit that the thought of starting IVs and placing EKG leads for 4 years does cause me some concern. What bothers me more is the thought of being surrounding by bad ancillary staff attitudes for 4 years...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, odoreater. Maybe it is not as bad as I am making it out to be? :confused:
 
OP
waterski232002

waterski232002

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
847
1
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
wolfmansbrother said:
yeah, its called have a life and enjoy 4th year of med school...
Since you're obviously too cool for this forum... why are you still posting???
 

Jeff698

EM/EMS nerd
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2000
1,998
15
Salado, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
EMApplicant said:
ya gotta do something to pass the time... ;)
No joke! Does anyone really think we're learning anything useful (not that video games don't improve hand-eye coordination, of course!) in the remaining months of fourth year? It feels like everything school-like after December has been a waste of time.

Take care,
Jeff <- off to play GameCube "with my son"
 

EMApplicant

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2004
276
1
Status
Jeff698 said:
No joke! Does anyone really think we're learning anything useful (not that video games don't improve hand-eye coordination, of course!) in the remaining months of fourth year? It feels like everything school-like after December has been a waste of time.

Take care,
Jeff <- off to play GameCube "with my son"

no kidding...4th year is definitely making me dumber :laugh:
 

la gringa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
847
13
esse quam videri
Status
Attending Physician
jeff,

i'm passing the time in beautiful Costa Rica, with 4 of your classmates actually. I'm assuming by your location that you go to UTMB? I'm starting to have ROL anxiety, but it goes away when I'm not at the computer! In my 2 wks here I have surfed, gone horseback riding, gone snorkeling, swam in the ocean, gone rafting on 1 river (another to come), hiked a volcano (and got altitide sick though)... so the time is passing quite easily!!!!
 
OP
waterski232002

waterski232002

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 5, 2004
847
1
Chicago
Status
Attending Physician
Leaving for China tomorrow!!!

Quick, Quick... Any last minute advice on these 4 programs and how you would rank them. U Chicago, Bellevue, Brigham, Northwestern. (I've scratched cook from making the very top of the list).
 

WakeMedHeel

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2002
315
1
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
waterski232002 said:
Leaving for China tomorrow!!!

Quick, Quick... Any last minute advice on these 4 programs and how you would rank them. U Chicago, Bellevue, Brigham, Northwestern. (I've scratched cook from making the very top of the list).
Do they have computers in China?

I don't like the fact that in 4 years at Bellevue you only do 22 months of EM. There are 3 year programs that give you more time.
 

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
20,322
5,108
SCREW IT!
WakeMedHeel said:
Do they have computers in China?

I don't like the fact that in 4 years at Bellevue you only do 22 months of EM. There are 3 year programs that give you more time.
I counted 28 (EM, peds EM, psych ED, and urgent care (urgent care counted, because they count it as EM)). 13 blocks/year, minus 1 block/year vacation, gives 28/48, or just under 60%, of the time in the ED.
 

hello23

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
119
0
Status
WakeMedHeel said:
Do they have computers in China?
most laptops in US market nowdays from sony to hp are MADE IN CHINA.
 

WakeMedHeel

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2002
315
1
Atlanta, GA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Apollyon said:
I counted 28 (EM, peds EM, psych ED, and urgent care (urgent care counted, because they count it as EM)). 13 blocks/year, minus 1 block/year vacation, gives 28/48, or just under 60%, of the time in the ED.
I don't think I counted the pysch ED or urgent care.