How would you rank these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterski232002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's some programs I am considering very highly (in no specific order)...

- NYU
- Brigham
- Northwestern
- Cook County
- UChicago

How would you guys rank them??? I have a ton of friends in chicago and know I would be happy there. But I would also be happy in any really big city with a good social scene. Also, I would like to keep my options open with a possible career in academics and am considering doing a fellowship in critical care.... I really like sick patients. Lastly, I don't particularly want to get worked to death to the point of exhaustion.

I realize the decision is ultimately mine... but any input, advice, suggestions would be appreciated... Feel free to actually rank them on here based on what I said are my goals.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't help with ranking those programs (didn't interview at any of them) but I can offer you this light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel:

Once you've made your decision and certified your list, life gets sweet. My blood pressure dropped at least 20 mm after I certified my list and promised myself I'd leave it the hell alone.

Good luck!

Take care,
Jeff

Hey waterski,
Totally understand your dilemma. I think that any of these will leave your options for an academic career wide open. The Chicago programs esp. U of C and NW seem to work less hours than NYU and Brigham (don't know much about Cook, it's the only one I didn't interview at). All have extremely sick patients. If you're planning on a fellowship, I would say three years is the way to go. So here would be my list (I am not bashing any of these programs, they are all excellent and will give you what you're looking for.)
1. U of C (three years, flight experience)
2-3. NW (lots of critical care)
2-3. NYU
4. Brigham (I don't like Boston as much as Chicago and NY)
5. Cook (transition year and I'm less familiar with the program)

Also, I rotated at U of C and thought that it was a fantastic program. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about my time there.
Good luck and remember it's just my opinion.
paisley

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't advise you on the other programs, but at Cook County, the shifts are 8 hours long.

I'd put Cook County at #1 and rank the others as you see fit.

I don't really get all the hype about going to 3 year only EM programs. By doing a 4 year program, your intern year will make you a better ED doc in so many ways, particularly in that you will work in other fields (IM, cards, peds, trauma surg. neuro., ICU, etc.) that will put you on the receiving end of admitted patients and give you greater exposure as to what it's like being a consultant called down to the ED. This will help you immensely in optimally packaging patients in the ED who are being admitted, and in gaining the respect of your non ED colleagues. Also, by getting further exposure to IM, you will have a much more solid foundation of medicine than the average ED doc who primarily manages acute issues exclusively, to the exclusion of preventive care or definitive treatment and follow up.

i would agree with paisley's -- U of C first, then NW. Then Cook, since it sounds like being in Chicago is more important to you than just being in a "big city" i.e. New York, though i don't like their 2-4 format. Then NYU, then Brigham.

Same question (rank?) or opinions good or bad on the following: Please help!!
Duke, Yale, USF, Emory, EVMS, Allegheny, UF, UCONN

ms.beth said:
Same question (rank?) or opinions good or bad on the following: Please help!!
Duke, Yale, USF, Emory, EVMS, Allegheny, UF, UCONN

If you have specific questions regarding Duke, please feel free to ask here or PM me. I do not feel that being under surgery is in any way a negative for us. Surgery is a very powerful entity here and gives us some clout as well. In the distant future, we may be our own department but not for now.

waterski232002 said:
- NYU
- Brigham
- Northwestern
- Cook County
- UChicago

I have a ton of friends in chicago and know I would be happy there. But I would also be happy in any really big city with a good social scene. Also, I would like to keep my options open with a possible career in academics and am considering doing a fellowship in critical care.... I really like sick patients. Lastly, I don't particularly want to get worked to death to the point of exhaustion.

Any other suggestions on ranking these programs??? Order to rank?

waterski232002 said:

I didn't interview at the Chicago programs, but I was at NYU and Bringam. Personally (especially as a born and raised Ny-er) I am ranking NYU #1---I really enjoyed their didactics/ morning conferences etc.

Bringam is ranked 6 for me.

waterski232002 said:
Here's some programs I am considering very highly (in no specific order)...

- NYU
- Brigham
- Northwestern
- Cook County
- UChicago

How would you guys rank them??? I have a ton of friends in chicago and know I would be happy there. But I would also be happy in any really big city with a good social scene. Also, I would like to keep my options open with a possible career in academics and am considering doing a fellowship in critical care.... I really like sick patients. Lastly, I don't particularly want to get worked to death to the point of exhaustion.

I realize the decision is ultimately mine... but any input, advice, suggestions would be appreciated... Feel free to actually rank them on here based on what I said are my goals.

U of C is great & would prepare you well for a future in academics

Cardsman... How do you know this? You are not even applying for Emergency Medicine???

waterski232002 said:
Cardsman... How do you know this? You are not even applying for Emergency Medicine???

Waterski - I am applying into internal medicine, & since you stated that you were considering a fellowship in critical care and a future in academia, I thought I would give my input on its reputation in medicine. Take from it what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any big name institution with a good Emergency Medicine program will prepare you for critical care fellowship. We have a 100% match rate here, but I can't speak for other institutions. I do know that critical care fellowships are difficult to get into through the ER pathway, and often times are more surgical-type programs than medical.

waterski232002 said:

You just gotta sit down, make your list out and go with it. no one is going to tell you anything earth shattering here. they're all great and all have their ups and downs. you're gonna drive yourself crazy trying to compare trauma experience, ultrasound, etc. like ripping a bandaid off, you know

wolfmansbrother said:
You just gotta sit down, make your list out and go with it. no one is going to tell you anything earth shattering here. they're all great and all have their ups and downs. you're gonna drive yourself crazy trying to compare trauma experience, ultrasound, etc. like ripping a bandaid off, you know

ya gotta do something to pass the time... ;)

odoreater said:
I didn't interview at the Chicago programs, but I was at NYU and Bringam. Personally (especially as a born and raised Ny-er) I am ranking NYU #1---I really enjoyed their didactics/ morning conferences etc.

Bringam is ranked 6 for me.

NYU is a tough one for me. I love the city and I think the didactics were great. They also have an amazingly diverse patient population.

It all seems great...BUT, the supposedly crappy ancillary staff leaves me wondering if that is where i'd want to train after all. I don't mind doing some scut, although i'll admit that the thought of starting IVs and placing EKG leads for 4 years does cause me some concern. What bothers me more is the thought of being surrounding by bad ancillary staff attitudes for 4 years...

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this, odoreater. Maybe it is not as bad as I am making it out to be? :confused:

wolfmansbrother said:
yeah, its called have a life and enjoy 4th year of med school...

Since you're obviously too cool for this forum... why are you still posting???

EMApplicant said:
ya gotta do something to pass the time... ;)

No joke! Does anyone really think we're learning anything useful (not that video games don't improve hand-eye coordination, of course!) in the remaining months of fourth year? It feels like everything school-like after December has been a waste of time.

Take care,
Jeff <- off to play GameCube "with my son"

Jeff698 said:
No joke! Does anyone really think we're learning anything useful (not that video games don't improve hand-eye coordination, of course!) in the remaining months of fourth year? It feels like everything school-like after December has been a waste of time.

Take care,
Jeff <- off to play GameCube "with my son"

no kidding...4th year is definitely making me dumber :laugh:

jeff,

i'm passing the time in beautiful Costa Rica, with 4 of your classmates actually. I'm assuming by your location that you go to UTMB? I'm starting to have ROL anxiety, but it goes away when I'm not at the computer! In my 2 wks here I have surfed, gone horseback riding, gone snorkeling, swam in the ocean, gone rafting on 1 river (another to come), hiked a volcano (and got altitide sick though)... so the time is passing quite easily!!!!

Leaving for China tomorrow!!!

Quick, Quick... Any last minute advice on these 4 programs and how you would rank them. U Chicago, Bellevue, Brigham, Northwestern. (I've scratched cook from making the very top of the list).

waterski232002 said:
Leaving for China tomorrow!!!

Quick, Quick... Any last minute advice on these 4 programs and how you would rank them. U Chicago, Bellevue, Brigham, Northwestern. (I've scratched cook from making the very top of the list).

Do they have computers in China?

I don't like the fact that in 4 years at Bellevue you only do 22 months of EM. There are 3 year programs that give you more time.

WakeMedHeel said:

I don't like the fact that in 4 years at Bellevue you only do 22 months of EM. There are 3 year programs that give you more time.

I counted 28 (EM, peds EM, psych ED, and urgent care (urgent care counted, because they count it as EM)). 13 blocks/year, minus 1 block/year vacation, gives 28/48, or just under 60%, of the time in the ED.

WakeMedHeel said:

most laptops in US market nowdays from sony to hp are MADE IN CHINA.

Apollyon said:
I counted 28 (EM, peds EM, psych ED, and urgent care (urgent care counted, because they count it as EM)). 13 blocks/year, minus 1 block/year vacation, gives 28/48, or just under 60%, of the time in the ED.

I don't think I counted the pysch ED or urgent care.