how would you rank these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
how would you rank these programs in terms of prestige?

emory, cornell, ucla, northwestern, southwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Despite Yaah's sage comments regarding the subjectivity of "prestige" in another thread - and despite a spousally enforced agreement not to change my rank list anymore (after changing it four times already) - I'd like to hear what other people think of these programs, too. Three of them are very high on my ROL. :luck:

They are all good, you will have success if you apply yourself at any of them. Truly, "ranking" them is not going to be accurate. Rank them in the order you want to go to them. You aren't going to be punishing yourself by going to any of them. And conversely, going to any one of them is not going to give you a significant leg up on everybody else, all things being equal. But this is true of every program.

Honestly - trying to rank these 5 is a pointless endeavor. Even people who have experience at all of them would probably tell you that. They are all very big regional programs, and all have staff members who are internationally known. I could give you my ranking but it would be based on location and not much else.

Members don't see this ad :)
yaah said:
Honestly - trying to rank these 5 is a pointless endeavor. Even people who have experience at all of them would probably tell you that. They are all very big regional programs, and all have staff members who are internationally known. I could give you my ranking but it would be based on location and not much else.
Hehe...yeah seriously. Everyone has different priorities and ranking systems to rate programs even when listing them in order of "prestige." Prestige means different things for different people methinks. Plus, placing these particular 5 programs in strict order is hard. I have an easier time thinking in tiers but even then probably only 5% of the people would agree with me :laugh:

ddx said:
how would you rank these programs in terms of prestige?

emory, cornell, ucla, northwestern, southwestern

NOT implying in any what whatsoever that you should rank in this order (in actuality i'd def. rank in a diff. order)...but from my brief knowledge about programs and prestige, i'd say, in decreasing order: Cornell/UCLA (tied), NW, Emory, SW

SLUsagar said:
NOT implying in any what whatsoever that you should rank in this order (in actuality i'd def. rank in a diff. order)...but from my brief knowledge about programs and prestige, i'd say, in decreasing order: Cornell/UCLA (tied), NW, Emory, SW

See, there we are. I would put Cornell last of the 5. That should prove the folly of rankings!

yaah said:
I could give you my ranking but it would be based on location and not much else.
But dude, the OP wasn't asking for a ranking based on location. :p

thanks guys.. that's interesting... i would've ranked differently too. i was just wondering if any of the programs was significantly better than any of the others but i guess not :)

I would place UCLA over Cornell for surg path. Overall AP/CP I think Cornell edges UCLA. That's just my impression. I didn't apply to the other three so I can't say anything useful.

I finally gave up trying to figure out the relative prestige of different places. Aside from a handful of places we've all "heard of," i.e. MGH, it seems prestige is in the eye of the beholder.

cytoborg said:
I finally gave up trying to figure out the relative prestige of different places. Aside from a handful of places we've all "heard of," i.e. MGH, it seems prestige is in the eye of the beholder.

As I said before, programs can't give you prestige. You make your own prestige.

yaah said:
As I said before, programs can't give you prestige. You make your own prestige.
you make your own prestige by being first class. and you gotta live first class to be first class :thumbup:

AndyMilonakis said:
you make your own prestige by being first class. and you gotta live first class to be first class :thumbup:

Stick a stamp on my ass and ship me to China!

That sounded better in my head.

WASSUP SF-frickin-KG, yo?!

lorne said:
I would place UCLA over Cornell for surg path. Overall AP/CP I think Cornell edges UCLA. That's just my impression. I didn't apply to the other three so I can't say anything useful.

No. At one point UCLA had one of the greatest living GI pathologists, unfortunately this gentleman has dementia and now cant remember his own name. Separate out UCLA the medical school which is hard to get into, from UCLA the pathology program which I would rank below Irvine (and Im not a big fan of Irvine).

Of those listed, Emory is BY FAR the best. Folpe, Sharon Weiss etc. Their consultation services are immense. SW and Cornell would be close no2s.

LADoc00 said:
No. At one point UCLA had one of the greatest living GI pathologists, unfortunately this gentleman has dementia and now cant remember his own name. Separate out UCLA the medical school which is hard to get into, from UCLA the pathology program which I would rank below Irvine (and Im not a big fan of Irvine).

Of those listed, Emory is BY FAR the best. Folpe, Sharon Weiss etc. Their consultation services are immense. SW and Cornell would be close no2s.

Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with Irvine?

anonymous23 said:
Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with Irvine?

Nothing Ramzy and Barr are awesome, dont read too much into what I post...