ddx

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
19
0
Status
how would you rank these programs in terms of prestige?

emory, cornell, ucla, northwestern, southwestern
 

skoller

misunderestimated
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2004
49
0
42
Ghost Planet
www.televisionwithoutpity.com
Status
Despite Yaah's sage comments regarding the subjectivity of "prestige" in another thread - and despite a spousally enforced agreement not to change my rank list anymore (after changing it four times already) - I'd like to hear what other people think of these programs, too. Three of them are very high on my ROL. :luck:
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,969
351
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
They are all good, you will have success if you apply yourself at any of them. Truly, "ranking" them is not going to be accurate. Rank them in the order you want to go to them. You aren't going to be punishing yourself by going to any of them. And conversely, going to any one of them is not going to give you a significant leg up on everybody else, all things being equal. But this is true of every program.

Honestly - trying to rank these 5 is a pointless endeavor. Even people who have experience at all of them would probably tell you that. They are all very big regional programs, and all have staff members who are internationally known. I could give you my ranking but it would be based on location and not much else.
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
yaah said:
Honestly - trying to rank these 5 is a pointless endeavor. Even people who have experience at all of them would probably tell you that. They are all very big regional programs, and all have staff members who are internationally known. I could give you my ranking but it would be based on location and not much else.
Hehe...yeah seriously. Everyone has different priorities and ranking systems to rate programs even when listing them in order of "prestige." Prestige means different things for different people methinks. Plus, placing these particular 5 programs in strict order is hard. I have an easier time thinking in tiers but even then probably only 5% of the people would agree with me :laugh:
 

SLUsagar

rock chalk jayhawk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2004
512
1
Visit site
Status
ddx said:
how would you rank these programs in terms of prestige?

emory, cornell, ucla, northwestern, southwestern

NOT implying in any what whatsoever that you should rank in this order (in actuality i'd def. rank in a diff. order)...but from my brief knowledge about programs and prestige, i'd say, in decreasing order: Cornell/UCLA (tied), NW, Emory, SW
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,969
351
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
SLUsagar said:
NOT implying in any what whatsoever that you should rank in this order (in actuality i'd def. rank in a diff. order)...but from my brief knowledge about programs and prestige, i'd say, in decreasing order: Cornell/UCLA (tied), NW, Emory, SW
See, there we are. I would put Cornell last of the 5. That should prove the folly of rankings!
 
OP
D

ddx

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
19
0
Status
thanks guys.. that's interesting... i would've ranked differently too. i was just wondering if any of the programs was significantly better than any of the others but i guess not :)
 

lorne

New Member
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2005
2
0
Status
I would place UCLA over Cornell for surg path. Overall AP/CP I think Cornell edges UCLA. That's just my impression. I didn't apply to the other three so I can't say anything useful.
 

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I finally gave up trying to figure out the relative prestige of different places. Aside from a handful of places we've all "heard of," i.e. MGH, it seems prestige is in the eye of the beholder.
 

yaah

Boring
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
27,969
351
Fixing in 10% neutral buffered formalin
Status
Attending Physician
cytoborg said:
I finally gave up trying to figure out the relative prestige of different places. Aside from a handful of places we've all "heard of," i.e. MGH, it seems prestige is in the eye of the beholder.
As I said before, programs can't give you prestige. You make your own prestige.
 

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
680
0
Status
AndyMilonakis said:
you make your own prestige by being first class. and you gotta live first class to be first class :thumbup:
Stick a stamp on my ass and ship me to China!

That sounded better in my head.
 

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
6,545
601
Status
Attending Physician
lorne said:
I would place UCLA over Cornell for surg path. Overall AP/CP I think Cornell edges UCLA. That's just my impression. I didn't apply to the other three so I can't say anything useful.
No. At one point UCLA had one of the greatest living GI pathologists, unfortunately this gentleman has dementia and now cant remember his own name. Separate out UCLA the medical school which is hard to get into, from UCLA the pathology program which I would rank below Irvine (and Im not a big fan of Irvine).

Of those listed, Emory is BY FAR the best. Folpe, Sharon Weiss etc. Their consultation services are immense. SW and Cornell would be close no2s.
 

anonymous23

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 22, 2005
11
0
Status
LADoc00 said:
No. At one point UCLA had one of the greatest living GI pathologists, unfortunately this gentleman has dementia and now cant remember his own name. Separate out UCLA the medical school which is hard to get into, from UCLA the pathology program which I would rank below Irvine (and Im not a big fan of Irvine).

Of those listed, Emory is BY FAR the best. Folpe, Sharon Weiss etc. Their consultation services are immense. SW and Cornell would be close no2s.
Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with Irvine?
 

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2004
6,545
601
Status
Attending Physician
anonymous23 said:
Just out of curiosity - what's wrong with Irvine?
Nothing Ramzy and Barr are awesome, dont read too much into what I post...