Rank list. How would you rank these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayacct1284749

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for reading this and your advice. I'm done with all my interviews and now thinking about ranking programs. I go back and forth between which ones I would rank at the top of my list. I'm from Connecticut. I have relatives in long island, NY. This is one version of my rank list. I put Hartford Hospital at the top of my list due to location, and the long island hospitals up there because of my relative, but I but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out if I don't put Dartmouth or University of Rochester higher, since I got a good impression of their programs on interview day. Any input would be appreciated.

Hartford Hospital
UMass Baystate
Zucker/Hofstra
NYU Long Island
SUNY/Stony Brook
Dartmouth
University of Rochester
Albany
Geisinger
University of Maryland
University at Buffalo
NIH
George Washington
Rutgers
Mount Sinai/St. Luke's West

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
These are all lower tier programs except for maybe Dartmouth and NIH. None of these are high-tier enough to really influence your career, I wouldn’t think, but at least Dartmouth might be something more than grossing junk cases and spending CP months on paid vacation. Does NIH even have CP?

If these are options, I would just go wherever you feel like living and to whichever place you feel like you would hate the least after 4 years.

Reactions: 1 user
These are all lower tier programs except for maybe Dartmouth and NIH. None of these are high-tier enough to really influence your career, I wouldn’t think, but at least Dartmouth might be something more than grossing junk cases and spending CP months on paid vacation. Does NIH even have CP?

If these are options, I would just go wherever you feel like living and to whichever place you feel like you would hate the least after 4 years.
NIH does not have CP. It is AP-only.
Thanks for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wouldn’t say these are all lower tier. Lower or mid sounds right. Probably mostly IMGs. Go to the place where you would be happiest with.

I can’t speak to most of these progs but Maryland is probably best considered mid-tier not low, and many residents there end up doing fellowship at Hopkins.

I can’t speak to most of these progs but Maryland is probably best considered mid-tier not low, and many residents there end up doing fellowship at Hopkins.
Yeah I got a good impression of Maryland on my virtual interview day. The only gripe I have is it's a 5 hour drive from CT.

University of Rochester and University of Maryland are mid to upper mid tier, definitely not lower tier. Dartmouth is also probably mid tier. NIH is interesting and is not your typical residency program at all. The others are probably lower to lower mid tier programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, thanks for reading this and your advice. I'm done with all my interviews and now thinking about ranking programs. I go back and forth between which ones I would rank at the top of my list. I'm from Connecticut. I have relatives in long island, NY. This is one version of my rank list. I put Hartford Hospital at the top of my list due to location, and the long island hospitals up there because of my relative, but I but I can't help but wonder if I'm missing out if I don't put Dartmouth or University of Rochester higher, since I got a good impression of their programs on interview day. Any input would be appreciated.

Hartford Hospital
UMass Baystate
Zucker/Hofstra
NYU Long Island
SUNY/Stony Brook
Dartmouth
University of Rochester
Albany
Geisinger
University of Maryland
University at Buffalo
NIH