How would you respond to this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Old Timer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Monday afternoon I get a frantic phone call from a young female patient who just completed a three day round of Cipro for a UTI. She called to see if the Cipro would interfere with her BC pills.

Despite my assurances, she seemed worried so I informed her she could confirm with her gynecologist.

She then asked if it was wise to take the morning after pill. I wanted to know if she was still in the 72 hour window so the conversation went like like this:

Pharmacist: When did you last have sexual intercourse?

Patient: Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon....

Pharmacist: _____________________________________

Now what would you have said at that point?

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a great weekend! :laugh:

monday afternoon i get a frantic phone call from a young female patient who just completed a three day round of cipro for a uti. She called to see if the cipro would interfere with her bc pills.

Despite my assurances, she seemed worried so i informed her she could confirm with her gynecologist.

She then asked if it was wise to take the morning after pill. I wanted to know if she was still in the 72 hour window so the conversation went like like this:

pharmacist: when did you last have sexual intercourse?

patient: friday night, saturday night and sunday afternoon....

pharmacist: _____________________________________

now what would you have said at that point?

bow chicka bow wow.

Members don't see this ad :)
with UTI and she still managed to do it once a day.

This is really a tricky situation because if she gets pregnant due to different reasons, she will need to find someone to blame. I'd tell her to call her gynecologist to be safe and if she feels she needs to take the morning after pill, I would not advise her against it.

I'd make sure she was going to the bathroom post-intercourse so she could hopefully minimize the incidence of UTIs in the future.

but that if she was that worried, there is the Plan B option, and she can also speak to her ob/gyn. But maybe she should've thought about this beforehand.

Whoa! Man you weren't kidding when you said CVS allows you to hone your clinical skills! :laugh:

i think an "oh..wow" would have slipped out of my mouth by accident. :love:

When I was a new grad, I got this one:

Customer: "Can you re-use a condom?"

Me: "Condoms are a single-use product..."

Customer: "Oh. Well, my...friend...got together with her boyfriend the other night for the first time, and they did it over and over and over and over, using the same condom."

(I urged her...friend to keep more condoms on hand, and we discussed maybe the morning-after pill was a good idea. And some other things; I forget exactly.)

For this, I second what njac says, and suggest she urinates after intercourse. I don't think Plan B is needed, but maybe she could use condoms for the rest of her cycle, if for her own peace of mind.

Few data support the notion that antibiotics interfere with OCs (except rifampin).

She was still technically in the 72 hour window, but even so, I would have told her to call the OB/GYN. It doesn't seem that she was very willing to listen to anything you had to say. Once you've told her there is no interaction and assured her that PlanB wasn't necessary, not much else you can do.

I'd just roll my eyes a few times and hang up. This isn't even a question of birth control, this is a question of 'dummy control'. I'd do everything I could to ensure she never gets pregnant!

Reactions: 1 user
I'd just roll my eyes a few times and hang up. This isn't even a question of birth control, this is a question of 'dummy control'. I'd do everything I could to ensure she never gets pregnant!

Really? I don't think so. She just missed the part about using backups while on antibiotics. Dummy control would be getting it on the FIRST DAY you start taking the pill, ever. :scared: