Howard Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Awuah29

Christian predent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Heh guys,
Anyone going to Howard not Harvard. I know it's a black school, but just wanna know their GPA and DAT. No one has so far talked about that school. :D

Members don't see this ad.

This link might help you out, but these numbers are from 2002. Your best bet is to call the school and ask what their entering class stats are like.

http://lifesci.rutgers.edu/~hpo/dstats.htm

Also, there is noting wrong with a historically African American school.

Last time I looked the low end of their stats are:

GPA- 3.1 science- 2.9
DAT- 17 PAT-16

their stats are lower then some schools, however I am not sure that they are very cool about letting white boys in (< which is why their stats stink, jk ;) )

gatorfan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont think that only African Americans go their??? There has to be a percentage of white people anybody know the amount???? :confused:

gatorfan99 said:
Last time I looked the low end of their stats are:

GPA- 3.1 science- 2.9
DAT- 17 PAT-16

their stats are lower then some schools, however I am not sure that they are very cool about letting white boys in (< which is why their stats stink, jk ;) )

gatorfan.

Gatorfan adding jk doesn't make your comment in anyway appropriate or cute. (not jk ;))

nyla24 said:
Gatorfan adding jk doesn't make your comment in anyway appropriate or cute. (not jk ;))

I've got to agree, that comment was a bit racist.

JRogoff said:
I've got to agree, that comment was a bit racist.
Please can we be serious? :(

Awuah29 said:
Please can we be serious? :(

Whats not serious about what i said? You don't agree that saying that their stats stink because there are no white people at Howard is racist? I think thats extremly racist, and there was no scarcasm in my comment.

Rogoff
I think we both need to do some research there might be some white folks attending howard . Anyone know? :idea:

Howard is historically a black school, and gives oppertunity to students who are interested in serving the underserved, regardless of the applicant's race. Mediocrity is not an option to them, and they shouldn't be judged by their matriculant's stats.

The school gives a lot of attention to the goal's of the applicant after dental school more than their stats. So, you could argue stats don't matter at Howard, but the commitiment to work in underserved communities does.

Awuah29 said:
Rogoff
I think we both need to do some research there might be some white folks attending howard . Anyone know? :idea:

There very well might be, but it is a historically african american school. This leads me to believe that its a majority african american. Let me know if you find some numbers, but i still think that comment was racist either way.

you right it was a racist comment from nyla. Please guys ,lets keep this thread clean ok?

This is the only school that I haven't heard any word from them except asking me to send them a money order. This school is very unfriendly to the applicants, and I would suggest the fellow applicants not to apply this school.
You would at least see the ripple if you throw the money into the lake.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awuah29 said:
you right it was a racist comment from nyla. Please guys ,lets keep this thread clean ok?

It wasn't nyla, nyla just quoted gatorfan.

gatorfan99 said:

Classy... :rolleyes: :(

...whenever Howard or Meharry come up, it seems somebody calls somebody else a "racist".

The fact of the matter is that these schools serve an important purpose in the dental community, and their adcom criterion are different than those of most schools. That difference, however, goes to serve their unique missions within dentistry.

So, while the average scores may be typically lower, it may just be that the fulfillment of alumni from these two schools is higher than the average dental school.

grettlin2 said:
This is the only school that I haven't heard any word from them except asking me to send them a money order. This school is very unfriendly to the applicants, and I would suggest the fellow applicants not to apply this school.

Hah! Same thing happened with me. Haven't heard from them since I sent the money in....wonder what they did with it... :mad:

Awuah29 said:
you right it was a racist comment from nyla. Please guys, lets keep this thread clean ok?
Awuah29 keep your screenames straight please. Gatorfan99 is the individual who made the racist comment.

Also to ItsGavinC who said "whenever Howard or Meharry come up, it seems somebody calls somebody else a "racist"". For a person of color stating that a historically black school has low stats because of the lack of "white guys" is offensive. That's like saying my presence at Columbia will dumb the class down. I also would like to think that my future colleagues would be a little more civilized than that.

Right on Nyla!

the only school that i favor over the rest has been IUSD. However, Howard would only get a :thumbdown: from me for having the worst group of people when it comes to talking to applicants.

grettlin2 said:
I would suggest the fellow applicants not to apply this school.

I know you had a bad experience applying to Howard - but you shouldn't strike back with that kind of comment. If you have read the school's objectives - as some mentioned above - you would comprehend.

nyla24 said:
Also to ItsGavinC who said "whenever Howard or Meharry come up, it seems somebody calls somebody else a "racist"". For a person of color stating that a historically black school has low stats because of the lack of "white guys" is offensive. That's like saying my presence at Columbia will dumb the class down. I also would like to think that my future colleagues would be a little more civilized than that.

I don't disagree with any portion of your comment. I don't know why, however, that comment was addressed to me.

I was merely stating that people seem unable to discuss the true merits of these schools without the term "racist" being thrown around.

grettlin2 said:

its sad but i agree with you on this one. i think most of last year's applicant know about how unprofessional and unfriendly their staff was. i am very sorry that i even applied there. i have accepted a few rejections (except for Ohio State...don't even wanna talk about them and wasate my time) and would have taken Howard's rejection the same way as others. the worst part is, i didn't even get rejected and i still wish i NEVER EVER applied there.

if my brother or sister was to apply, i'd would not let them apply there simply because i lost respect for that group of people!

The only thing I know about Howard is that we have a faculty member that went there and then went on to Harvard to study internal medicine. He is extremely intelligent and I say the school can't be that bad regardless of what their stats are.

sorry nyla. It was you that made the comment! :)

Awuah29 said:
sorry nyla. It was you that made the comment! :)
Awuah29 how do expect to attend dental school when you have difficulties reading ?? :)

Also to ItsGavinC regarding your whenever somebody mentions Meharry or Howard comment makes it seem that I was somehow unjust in stating that Gatorfan99's comment was inappropriate. I am in no way refuting Meharry or Howards stats. They are lower then most other dental schools. It's the implication that the low stats are because it is a "black school" with very few white men that makes that comment offensive.

nyla,
my fault ! I didn't read well from whom the comment came from.Anyway it didn't come from you. Sorry! Do you forgive me :D

I accept your apology. :)

PERFECT3435 said:
the only school that i favor over the rest has been IUSD. However, Howard would only get a :thumbdown: from me for having the worst group of people when it comes to talking to applicants.

obiously, the school you are accepted to and go to will most likely will be favored.

nyla...why is that you have to interpret gavins comments as an attack on you? i read his post and simply understood that it IS true that whenever Howard or Meharry is brought up, the racism card is brought up as well. don't be so quick to be offended. read the posters comments first. you'd be surprised how many intelligent comments can be taken as bigotry because people don't read or listen.

RaiderNation said:
nyla...why is that you have to interpret gavins comments as an attack on you? I read his post and simply understood that it IS true that whenever Howard or Meharry is brought up, the racism card is brought up as well. don't be so quick to be offended. Read the posters comments first. You?d be surprised how many intelligent comments can be taken as bigotry because people don't read or listen.
RaiderNation.... I am offended at Gatorfan99 comments. However gavins response to me being offended implies that I am being overly sensitive. Mentioning that the "racism card" is always brought up trivializes Gatorfan99's offensive comment. I have a right to address offensive comments like that one, especially on a board designed to help those interested in attending dental school. I felt like the Gavins comment was to make my response seem unnecessary, when in actuality it was very necessary. Now that being said you think I am interpreting Gavins comment as a personal attack, which is untrue. I think Gavin took my comment to him as a personal attack, when I was actually trying to clarify why I responded in the first place.

You have all deeply offended me. I am very sorry that I read this entire thread :eek:

I think the original post, wanted numbers of the percentage of who they let into the school. I have a friend who just got into both dental schools(howard and meharry). From his experience at both schools, he had a pleasant experience. He reminds me everytime we talk. (frustrating since I have not gotten in anywhere and only waitlisted) . Won't get into this, becasue I am happy for him. From what he tells, me Howard and Meharry accept about 90% of there applicants from african backgrounds. But AFrican american is such a general term. Take a lot of international students. Somilian, Nigerian, etc. more like it, They take students who would not be consider your cream of the crop as far as SDN standards per se. I imagine I will get heckled for that comment. I wish I had my ADEA book from 2000, it showed the breakdown of the race Its something like 90% again.

:cool: