General Admissions & OTCAS Howard fall 2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nintendoqueen1

Reaction score
Just applied to Howard on 12/21/21 anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Just applied to Howard on 12/21/21 anyone else?
Hi! Please beware of the OT program at Howard. The 2021 cohort started with 35 students and just after the first semester, six students got dropped from the program. The course load for the first semester is ridiculous with 18 credit hours while taking this rigorous anatomy and lab. The anatomy professor herself said she advised the chairperson of the OT program to reconsider a lesser amount of credit so students can be successful in the anatomy course. With that being said most of the students barely passed the course receiving a C and then the ones who receive a D or F got dropped the very first semester. As an applicant, I would take that into great consideration. Their lack of organization is another issue along with bad communication. The chairperson waits last minute to send important information.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Please beware of the OT program at Howard. The 2021 cohort started with 35 students and just after the first semester, six students got dropped from the program. The course load for the first semester is ridiculous with 18 credit hours while taking this rigorous anatomy and lab. The anatomy professor herself said she advised the chairperson of the OT program to reconsider a lesser amount of credit so students can be successful in the anatomy course. With that being said most of the students barely passed the course receiving a C and then the ones who receive a D or F got dropped the very first semester. As an applicant, I would take that into great consideration. Their lack of organization is another issue along with bad communication. The chairperson waits last minute to send important information.
Sheesh!!! It’s not the first time I heard the program was unorganized but just wanted to attend an HBCU because i went to a PWI for undergrad. I have been trying to email and call the program but NOBODY answers…I… wow I’m stunned. So they don’t do anything to help struggling students in anatomy? Like give them tutoring or curve any grades? For 6 people to get dropped that’s scary. Like do y’all even feel supported by the staff?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sheesh!!! It’s not the first time I heard the program was unorganized but just wanted to attend an HBCU because i went to a PWI for undergrad. I have been trying to email and call the program but NOBODY answers…I… wow I’m stunned. So they don’t do anything to help struggling students in anatomy? Like give them tutoring or curve any grades? For 6 people to get dropped that’s scary. Like do y’all even feel supported by the staff?
The anatomy professor was very caring and was the one who actually tried to go above and beyond to curve grades and give extra credit to open book exams to help as much as possible. When we brought the issue as a cohort to the chairperson she honestly did nothing in regards to that. For anatomy, the TA does offer tutoring sessions which you have to pay for them and it's $25 in an hour if it's a group and more for individual sessions. As the anatomy professor started seeing so many of the OT class failing she started doing some review sessions before exams. Honestly, there was not much support from the faculty but thank God our cohort stand together and we supported one another. I hope that they do reconsider the credit load for prospective students like you because it's unbearable. First semester classes looks like the following Anatomy and lab 4 credits, Kinesiology 3 credits, OT theories 3 credits, Health, and wellness 2 credits, Research methods 3 credits, and Occupational Science 3 credits. It's not your typical anatomy class be prepared to deal with human cadavers so it's a rigorous anatomy course

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Had an interview a week ago and I just got accepted to Howard today! It seems very unorganized because it was HELL trying to get someone to reach back to me throughout the application process but the my interviewer was so kind and helpful! She definitely warned me about the students that were dropped because of the workload as pervious stated. I do have some eyebrows up about this program but maybe someone can give more insight?

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations! I applied around January 31st. I haven’t heard anything back yet. Did you figure out where the supplemental application was ?

Had an interview a week ago and I just got accepted to Howard today! It seems very unorganized because it was HELL trying to get someone to reach back to me throughout the application process but the my interviewer was so kind and helpful! She definitely warned me about the students that were dropped because of the workload as pervious stated. I do have some eyebrows up about this program but maybe someone can give more insight?
I heard this same thing as well. One student said she was transferring because of it 🤷🏾‍♀️

• Wow
Congratulations! I applied around January 31st. I haven’t heard anything back yet. Did you figure out where the supplemental application was ?
No I actually didn’t fill out one unless you’re talking about the information that was required on OTCAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for you guys to get an offer letter? I just had my interview Wednesday.

How long did it take for you guys to get an offer letter? I just had my interview Wednesday.
Hi! I did my interview on 3/30 and I received my acceptance two hours ago! I agree with katters_ot regarding them being unorganized though. I needed to change my interview time and they took a day to respond to me. They then sent my interview confirmation with the Zoom invite link to the wrong email address so my interview had to be pushed back an hour after the time we agreed to change it to. My eyebrows are raised, especially with what's been said in this thread.

Hi! I did my interview on 3/30 and I received my acceptance two hours ago! I agree with katters_ot regarding them being unorganized though. I needed to change my interview time and they took a day to respond to me. They then sent my interview confirmation with the Zoom invite link to the wrong email address so my interview had to be pushed back an hour after the time we agreed to change it to. My eyebrows are raised, especially with what's been said in this thread.
I just received my acceptance letter Sunday! Yea it seems like they are a little unorganized. Just means that we have to make sure our stuff is in order because the communication is lacking. I had to do everything on my own when I went to NCAT because of the same issues. The person that I interviewed mentioned how hard the anatomy is and how people are failing out.

Hi, just a warning they do take there time to get back to you in timely manner. So I would continue to email them or call. But it did take them months for me to get my acceptance letter. Make sure you have other options available to you. I wish you all the best of luck

The anatomy professor was very caring and was the one who actually tried to go above and beyond to curve grades and give extra credit to open book exams to help as much as possible. When we brought the issue as a cohort to the chairperson she honestly did nothing in regards to that. For anatomy, the TA does offer tutoring sessions which you have to pay for them and it's $25 in an hour if it's a group and more for individual sessions. As the anatomy professor started seeing so many of the OT class failing she started doing some review sessions before exams. Honestly, there was not much support from the faculty but thank God our cohort stand together and we supported one another. I hope that they do reconsider the credit load for prospective students like you because it's unbearable. First semester classes looks like the following Anatomy and lab 4 credits, Kinesiology 3 credits, OT theories 3 credits, Health, and wellness 2 credits, Research methods 3 credits, and Occupational Science 3 credits. It's not your typical anatomy class be prepared to deal with human cadavers so it's a rigorous anatomy course
Hi, I have a few questions for you about Howard

Can you share your experience? Housing? How is the area. What are your pros and cons. Is the price worth it?
I live off-campus, so I can't tell you much on that topic, so you would have to research and compare the pros and cons. If you are looking to move off-campus, start early and look for places depending on what area around DC/DMV you want to live. Howard is an urban campus; the buildings are scattered around. The nursing and allied health sciences moved to a different location about 15 minutes away from Howard's main campus to north capitol st (801 north capitol street). The new location doesn't have lounging areas to study, so most of your time would be spent at Numa or the health and allied science library. My experience so far is mid. I like my cohort and the groups that I work with, but I do not feel like the program is student-centered since we do not have much say so on anything really, and when we voice our concerns, it's deemed as us being disrespectful and lack professionalism. The faculty do not take into consideration for life outside of the program and expect miracle work that gets assigned to us last minute. I can't tell you if it's worth it or not tbh; you will have to think that for yourself in regards to your perspective of things. Whatever schools you are considering, compare them and decide what's best.

I live off-campus, so I can't tell you much on that topic, so you would have to research and compare the pros and cons. If you are looking to move off-campus, start early and look for places depending on what area around DC/DMV you want to live. Howard is an urban campus; the buildings are scattered around. The nursing and allied health sciences moved to a different location about 15 minutes away from Howard's main campus to north capitol st (801 north capitol street). The new location doesn't have lounging areas to study, so most of your time would be spent at Numa or the health and allied science library. My experience so far is mid. I like my cohort and the groups that I work with, but I do not feel like the program is student-centered since we do not have much say so on anything really, and when we voice our concerns, it's deemed as us being disrespectful and lack professionalism. The faculty do not take into consideration for life outside of the program and expect miracle work that gets assigned to us last minute. I can't tell you if it's worth it or not tbh; you will have to think that for yourself in regards to your perspective of things. Whatever schools you are considering, compare them and decide what's best.
Would you suggest staying close to the building on north capitol street or by numa and the health and allied science library. I'm currently looking for an off campus apartment,but not sure what building I should try to stay closer to.

Would you suggest staying close to the building on north capitol street or by numa and the health and allied science library. I'm currently looking for an off campus apartment,but not sure what building I should try to stay closer to.
I would say that closer to Howard's main campus is safer and easier access to campus. You can easily use the shuttle to get to the north capital building.

I would say that closer to Howard's main campus is safer and easier access to campus. You can easily use the shuttle to get to the north capital building.
Could you name some off campus apartments that are affordable?

Hi, I will be attending Howard in the fall. Have you been looking at apartments? If you found some do you mind listing them?

Has anyone received your Bison ID# yet and paid their enrollment fee? If so, how did you get it?! I’ve been waiting and no luck!

Hmmm. Wasn’t on mine. I’ll reach out to them.
Thank you!
It’s kinda hidden. I didn’t see it at first either. It looks like it’s giving you an example of your student id but it’s really your id.

Hi, I will be attending Howard in the fall. Have you been looking at apartments? If you found some do you mind listing them?
Yes I've been looking. What's your email I can send you some and are you apart of the group me I created from pre orientation?

Yes I've been looking. What's your email I can send you some and are you apart of the group me I created from pre orientation?
Hey! Can you add me in the pre orientation group? I also was accepted for the fall 2022 cohort