Howard Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does howard screen for their secondaries? I am latino and from what I see in the MSAR, most students there are african american, so if I was to apply what would my chances be? my counselor told me not to submit it because it would be a waste of money, but I like their mission and I figured that being an MD is my ultimate goal regardless of which med school I go to, but I also don't want to apply if my chances are low from the start. what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Don,

According to the Princeton Review's 2002 Edition of Complete Book of Medical Schools, "All AMCAS applicants receive secondary applications. Of those submitting secondaries, about 10 percent are interviewed with faculty or administrators....Of those interviewed, 70 percent are accepted on a rolling basis, and the rest are either rejected or wait-listed."

Hey,

When did you get Howard's Secondary? My AMCAS was verified and sent in early July and I still have not recieved Howard's Secondary! GRRRR. When I called them, I recieve the same answer "The secondaries were sent today" and the lady sounded quite unfriendly:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my AMCAS app on August 20. It was verified about a month later. Howard sent me a secondary on October 1. I sent it in. Then they sent me another, apparently on the same day they received my materials. So, Howard is pretty disorganized. Check out this thread too.

I was verified in early August and recieved Howard's secondary as well as an interview invite a couple weeks ago. Anyone else interviewing on November 20th?

How about the 19th? Anyone?

Originally posted by wolferman
Dr. Don,

According to the Princeton Review's 2002 Edition of Complete Book of Medical Schools, "All AMCAS applicants receive secondary applications. Of those submitting secondaries, about 10 percent are interviewed with faculty or administrators....Of those interviewed, 70 percent are accepted on a rolling basis, and the rest are either rejected or wait-listed."

hery...it says that for every med schol in the country if they screen befor ethey give the secondary or if they just give it to you? coooool.

Originally posted by silver_eyes
hery...it says that for every med schol in the country if they screen befor ethey give the secondary or if they just give it to you? coooool.

Yes it does. I've noticed a couple deviations, but for the most part, it's correct.

I'm interviewing there the 19th. Does anyone know the format of the interview?

Originally posted by MyEyesMesmerize
Does anyone know the format of the interview?

According to the interview feedback section of SDN, it looks like it's one-on-one. Couldn't tell if open or closed file since people's recollections differed. I would guess closed file though. Still I like the 70% odds.

How about the 19th? Anyone?
I'm interviewing on the 19th....good luck and cu there.:p

According to the interview feedback section of SDN, it looks like it's one-on-one. Couldn't tell if open or closed file since people's recollections differed. I would guess closed file though. Still I like the 70% odds.

closed file??

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a MS1 at Howard. Just studying for an exam and read this post as a breeak.

Anyways to answer some of your questions. First off Dr. Don go ahead and apply to Howard. Although there are not that many Latinos at HUCM it's probably more to do with the fact that not many apply here or if they do and get in chose not to attend. We have virtually all major demographic groups represented at Howard, granted most of us are AA or foreign students from Africa (75-80%). The interview is usually with one faculty member and the times for interview is based on first come first served on the day of interview. So try not to be the last one to check in or else you'll wait the longest to interview. A very few amount of applicants get a second interviewer, probably a student interviewer.

Be prepared to explain why you chose to apply to Howard. Also get ready to explain any grades below a B on your transcipt. BTW the interview is open file. Hope that helps and if anyone has anymore questions then just PM me. I'll try to respond in a timely manner but you know how it is with exams. We have them every two weeks!!!

Originally posted by medicine2006
I am a MS1 at Howard. Just studying for an exam and read this post as a breeak.

Anyways to answer some of your questions. First off Dr. Don go ahead and apply to Howard. Although there are not that many Latinos at HUCM it's probably more to do with the fact that not many apply here or if they do and get in chose not to attend. We have virtually all major demographic groups represented at Howard, granted most of us are AA or foreign students from Africa (75-80%). The interview is usually with one faculty member and the times for interview is based on first come first served on the day of interview. So try not to be the last one to check in or else you'll wait the longest to interview. A very few amount of applicants get a second interviewer, probably a student interviewer.

Be prepared to explain why you chose to apply to Howard. Also get ready to explain any grades below a B on your transcipt. BTW the interview is open file. Hope that helps and if anyone has anymore questions then just PM me. I'll try to respond in a timely manner but you know how it is with exams. We have them every two weeks!!!

thanks medicine2006!!! I'll look into applying now, but with a low budget, I'll have to wait a while. So how is howard? is it cool? are the classes based on problem base learning or straight lecture? is there alot of cooperation between med students or it is cut-throat. thanks for the info again,

Originally posted by Dr. Don
thanks medicine2006!!! I'll look into applying now, but with a low budget, I'll have to wait a while. So how is howard? is it cool? are the classes based on problem base learning or straight lecture? is there alot of cooperation between med students or it is cut-throat. thanks for the info again,

Dr. Don if you could afford it apply now. Their fee is one of the cheapest in the nation. Last year it was $45, I don't know what it is this year. The admissions staff here is slow so the sooner you get things in the better off you are. If you get an interview you have a great chance of getting an acceptance, better than at most schools.

Howard is a great school. It has a brand new state of the art Health Science Library, regarded by most as one of the top 5 or 10 in the nation. The use of technology here is extensive. We all use our laptops. The medical school campus is covered by a decent wireless intranet. THere are also ethernet ports at the Library but most people just stick with the wireless. Notes and Power Point presentations are online as well as lecture on audio.

The students are awesome. Almost everyone here is so friendly and willing to help each other out. There is a sense of cohesiveness and feeling that we are all in this together. That being said my class MS1 does not seem to party much as a whole class. Hardly anybody shows up for the planned after-test events.

The cirriculum chanfged last year to a intergrative format to better prepare us for Step 1. THe hours in class were reduced drastically from 8-5 to now 8-1 or 2. Except on Tuesday when we're here to 5pm. But we are expected to do a lot more self-study. So if you hate sitting in class all day and can handle some stuff indepently you'll like Howard's approach. There are still some kinks to be worked out in this new cirriculum. They also scheduled many small group disscussions proctored by faculty so we can get more individualized help. The second years run a tutoring service to help out the first years.

Well good luck. I hope this helps.

Dr. Don if you could afford it apply now. Their fee is one of the cheapest in the nation. Last year it was $45, I don't know what it is this year. The admissions staff here is slow so the sooner you get things in the better off you are. If you get an interview you have a great chance of getting an acceptance, better than at most schools.

Howard is a great school. It has a brand new state of the art Health Science Library, regarded by most as one of the top 5 or 10 in the nation. The use of technology here is extensive. We all use our laptops. The medical school campus is covered by a decent wireless intranet. THere are also ethernet ports at the Library but most people just stick with the wireless. Notes and Power Point presentations are online as well as lecture on audio.

The students are awesome. Almost everyone here is so friendly and willing to help each other out. There is a sense of cohesiveness and feeling that we are all in this together. That being said my class MS1 does not seem to party much as a whole class. Hardly anybody shows up for the planned after-test events.

The cirriculum chanfged last year to a intergrative format to better prepare us for Step 1. THe hours in class were reduced drastically from 8-5 to now 8-1 or 2. Except on Tuesday when we're here to 5pm. But we are expected to do a lot more self-study. So if you hate sitting in class all day and can handle some stuff indepently you'll like Howard's approach. There are still some kinks to be worked out in this new cirriculum. They also scheduled many small group disscussions proctored by faculty so we can get more individualized help. The second years run a tutoring service to help out the first years.

Well good luck. I hope this helps.

i want to go to howard as well. i heard it is a predominatly african american medical school. how many, if any pakistani/indians are there? since it is mostly black, when i apply (i am pakistani) will i be consdired as a minority?

Originally posted by silver_eyes
i want to go to howard as well. i heard it is a predominatly african american medical school. how many, if any pakistani/indians are there? since it is mostly black, when i apply (i am pakistani) will i be consdired as a minority?

I want to say this to everyone who is not URM. If you have the desire to attend to Howard go ahead and apply. You have to believe in Howard's mission, that is to help out the underserved community. If you're only applying becuase it's numbers are lower then don't get your hopes up just because your numbers are higher than Howard's averages.

Howard screens people based on other criteria before they even look at stuff like GPA and MCAT. In that sense I believe that non-URM might have their application scrutinzed more.

BUT once you are here it doesn't matter what the color of your skin is because everyone here is so nice and we all just want to help each other out.

To answer your original question. Indain/Pakistani/Sri Lankan are probably the second most represented group at HUCM after AA. In my class there are 2 Sri Lankan girls 2 Indian girls and about six indian guys.

Hope to see you there cuite;)

For those who are recieving their secondaries already, are you guys august mcaters?

I submitted my stuff in july and I still have not recieved anything!! I live an hour at max, away too!

Nevermind, I just recieved my secondary today. No invite with it..oh well :(

hi, medicine2006:
I am an Asian and applying for Howard as well. Is there any asian student at Howard ( like chinese, vietnamese..etc? thanks for your response!

Originally posted by GoodDoc
hi, medicine2006:
I am an Asian and applying for Howard as well. Is there any asian student at Howard ( like chinese, vietnamese..etc? thanks for your response!

If you feel that you would be a great fit for Howard and that you truly believe in its mission then by all means apply. We would love to have you here, assuming you are academically sound.

To answer your original question in my class MS1 there are 3 asian asians. One guy that's 3/4 AA and 1/4 Japanese. And another guy who might have some asian (fillipino?) No asian females though:( I think that many asians do apply to Howard and are academically qualified to go here but for some reason there aren't that many here. But don't be discouraged Howard does NOT discriminate or reverse discriminate at all.

Hope to see you there cuite;)

lol cutie....lol.how cuttteeee.