1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

howard university?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by nraouf, Feb 23, 2007.

1. nraouf

nraouf Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

anything from them lately?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. PhysEd

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I've heard nothing from then...was really interested in going there too! Blah

3. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    When do they usually start interviewing?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Cyca24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think they start contacting people a little later than other schools. They called me in November and offered me an interview for the next week. I believe other schools start scheduling interviews in August or so. But then again my info was submitted a little late.

5. OP
    OP
    nraouf

nraouf Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I spoke to mrs. washington on the phone a couple of days ago and she told me that they are still interviewing and "i dont think even half the class is filled"

has any1 interviewed there lately? is there still a chance guys?

6. captaingrapes

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I interviewed on 2/05 and just got my acceptance today. They said there is still spots left and I believe they are still interviewing. When I was there a month ago, there was still half the class left to fill. Good luck guys!

7. DATkilla

DATkilla Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    they invited me a week ago for interview. I turned it down so there's still at leat one spot.

8. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i have a 3.1 gpa and 20/20/18 on DAT. Do you guys think there is still a chance I might get an interview from there?!

9. Cyca24

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I got in but gave up my spot, so there's one more acceptance spot.

10. OP
    OP
    nraouf

nraouf Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

howard is wierd, you DAT score may be a little high? i dont even know what to think about that school. my brothers and friends applied with high numbers and didnt get in but had a friend with a lower stats and got in early jan! with howard, you just never know.

11. Heroine

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It's a weird school. I knew someone who applied really late like in December and got accepted in February. Can't understand that.:confused:

12. RozhonDDS

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i think its to late, they most likely have a lot of people accepting the invites, its pretty late in the game all together

13. littlemissy

5+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    i spoke with mrs. washington at howard she said interviewing is over as of this monday March 5; however, she said the admissions committee is highly likely that they will start interviwing again in april due to the number of seats actually filled.

14. Drill2Fill

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Why do they have so few seats filled?

15. OP
    OP
    nraouf

nraouf Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

yep, mrs. washington said the same thing to me....

16. sonylarkhi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Has anyone gotten in? If so, what were your stats?

17. pure

My friends said the school doesn't accept students with DAT score lower than 17 in any subject. but it seems like their average DAT score is less than 17. what is that mean?

18. Golddanboy

Golddanboy Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    17 would only be the avg of everyone that took the test. Obviously not everyone that takes the DAT will get into dental school; i think the avg accepted grade is near 20 and most schools will see 17s and below as a pretty big weakness. I have no idea if your friends claim is true but i would imagine someone with a 16 could still get in if their AA was over 20.

19. KOM

KOM Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    That your friends are lying...?

20. mimsJustin

From what i know... Howard takes some of its students without a dat score because they were part of a special undergrad program. Only after the interview do those students need to take a dat and thats why there average dat scores are as low as they are. Iam pretty sure you need a 17 in each section inorder to get in (atleast that is what they told me.) Anyways is anyone coming to howard?

21. Drill2Fill

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Why would they have to take the DAT after the interview? That makes no sense.

22. sonylarkhi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey guys...
    Does anyone know of students getting rejected after getting an interview? I'm sure it happens, but how often do you guys think?

23. MaxAnn

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    If you think this makes no sense, what until you get there. One thing after another will make no sense at all, and the administration will stop at nothing to justify repeatedly nonsenical acts.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=349680&highlight=Howard

24. Drill2Fill

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
  25. MaxAnn

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Transferred to my state school. It cost me a year, but it was worth; trust me when I tell you.

26. sonylarkhi

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Anyone hear from them lately?

27. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Wait...so did you re-apply, and then withdraw from Howard or did you apply as a transfer?? Just curious cause they made you start over...

28. littlemissy

5+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    spoke to mrs. washington on monday she said that they won't be giving out dates for interview till next week because of spring break. Is this true any one have a date for a april interview??

29. MaxAnn

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Transferring in dental school is very difficult. Most students will lose a year when they transfer no matter how great their class standing, which is why transferring in dental school is rare and not encouraged.

The best thing is to make the right choice the first time around. I applied while I was still attending. I knew it was going to be a long haul, but I was unhappy, and at some point, your health has got to be taken care of first.

Hindsight is 20/20, but look, listen, and feel when you interview at a dental school irregardless of its reputation. Most times, things are not always as they seem.

30. Drill2Fill

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    What excuse did you give to your state school to get them to let you transfer? I heard that you have to basically have a family member dying to get them to let you.

31. MaxAnn

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I didn't use an excuse. I just expressed that I was ready to come home, which was the truth. People do transfer in dental school. It is rare and difficult, but it does happen. Most administrators make it seem as though you are inquiring about time travel, but really they can move mountains when they choose. I hate to say it, but a great deal of admissions and grading in dental school is subjective; simply based on who you know.

You will see what I mean when you get to the clinic. It shows up in didactic courses also, but to a lesser extent. Much of any dental school is not what it is cracked up to be; no matter where you attend. Many schools embelish their programs to get your tuition money and then show their a$$e$ once you get in the door.

I will give one word: pick the school that offers the best chance of graduation. Ask the perspective dental schools how many students they lose a year. I would pay close attention to this since it will give some insight on support measures once you begin your dental education. Don't be afraid to ask tough questions.. It is your money and future at the ene of the day.