Howard University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i only have a tiny bit of input - i met a guy training at howard - he was really happy with his training and with his quality of life.
sorry i know that's like nothing

i'm really posting for selfish reasons: i want to know what people think of umdnj vs vanderbilt

i know umdnj has great training but i want to know how it stacks up to vanderbilt - ie i have to choose between them for interview and dont know which to pick

Members don't see this ad :)
hey so after my oh-so-vague post i went looking for more info on the program.
the website gives you the general breakdown obviously - cirriculum, didactics, research experience, etc.

i am told by a friend who's in medicine and from dc that howard's univ hospital system is incredibly unstable. in her words "they're at risk for losing accreditation for all their residency programs." one of my deans and my advisor agreed with the idea that the hospital system is fairly unstable. (then again, ny hospitals are pretty unstable too....)

i still haven't found anyone who knows specifics. i plan on going (so long as the date remains available on my calendar) and bringing a lot of questions.

i don't know if this helps, just thought i'd share.

I interviewed at Howard in 06 and know someone at the program. From what I saw and heard, I liked the program and ranked it highly.
It had a good faculty, there is plastics guy from wilmer there.
Cant remember the surgey numbers but I do think the numbers were competitive.
No accreditation issues that I know of.
The attendings demand alot from the residents (and I seem to thrive in environments like that).
Chief resident the year before got an ASOPRS plastic spot.
Ultimately I ranked programs closer to home higher. Hope this helps.

glad to hear you had such a great experience at you interview!
perhaps everyone i talked to is wrong. wouldn't be the first time i was misinformed :).
hope my day goes as well.
cheers.

im a little concerned that they just hand out 20 minute interviews and you have to fly into DC for that...

no mention of a tour or getting to meet/talk with the residents... basically was told to come at either 8 or 12...

They also rotate at the DC VA and at Navy. I'm not sure about any other outside rotations.

by the way you have to buy the Academy books

So I'm headed to Howard this summer. M.S. in math. M.S. in computer science. 253 (99) on step 1. Top 5-10 med school. Good letters. No ophtho research experience. I interviewed at 7 programs, and ranked Howard 3rd. During my interviews I thought it was the perfect fit for me, but only ranked it third due to inertia. Though the program is clearly evolving in certain areas, residents are happy, well-trained, and get their choice of fellowships. What more can you ask for?

Great department that is very resident oriented. Very good surgical training (complex cases at the university with volume supplemented through the VAs). Good balance of supervision and autonomy. Resident clinic sees lots of pathology. I think the greatest strength is having well-training faculty that sincerely care about your training and future. Like many university & VA settings, residents assume more of a primary role in clinical decision-making and surgery. However, in contrast to more private-practice oriented departments, less ancillary support and slower turnover in the OR is expected.