Howard vs Miller

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CandH23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Focused on limiting debt as much as possible. But not to the extent where I am sacrificing too much in the quality of my education or my future opportunities.

Howard (48K/year tuition) (WAITLIST)
Postives:
  • Support system (Friends and Family here. Went to school/work in DMV too)
  • Would live at home (no room or board). Not worrying about food/groceries etc.
  • 25-30 minute commute but lectures are recorded.
  • Vibed with the students there, can see myself going there
  • Students seem to be collaborative and a family
  • Shared experiences with students at an HBCU
  • Surrounded by GW, Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, UMaryland for networking/rotations
  • Near NIH to do research
  • Home Training Hospital (Howard University Hospital)
  • Faculty seem to care about students
  • DMV is perfectly fine with me socially, will be a good balance between studying and socializing.
  • Seems to have quite a bit of scholarships offered by the school and financial aid seemed involved in helping students apply for them and get aid.
  • Match list is solid 2018 Residency Training Programs - Howard University Medical Alumni Association, Inc.
  • Know alumni and current students so would be able to be plugged in in terms of networking

Negatives:
  • Grades assigned in MS1/MS2, no P/F
  • Limited home research opportunities (could impact my competitiveness)
  • Less home residencies programs compared to Miami ( again could impact my competitiveness to programs that might not be offered at HU)
  • Older facilities (But newer clinical/patient simulation training center)
  • Low tier ranked on RD score

Miami (WAITLIST, MD + MD/MPH)
Tuition: ??? Miami is considering consolidating tuition into one price since they’re private now.
So could be either 41K(IS) or 45K(OOS). TBD.

Positives:
  • Tons of research opportunities
  • Large multi-floored simulation training center, even large rooms with ambulances/etc to simulate emergency situations
  • Very nice fitness center
  • Jackson Memorial is miami’s safety net, has a transplant center, Level 1 Trauma center, childrens hospital.
  • Bascom Palmer Eye institute is the #1 eye center in US (interested in ophthalmology)
  • Seems that students get great clinical training
  • Students were friendly on the tour and during lunch (Saw no URM though)
  • Faculty seems to be in tune with UM culture and care about students
  • Integrating more PBL in MD curriculum as the MD/MPH students who had PBL have seemed to be more prepared for 3rd year than MD only in the past.
  • Nice match list (better than Howard) 2019 Match Day Results - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
  • Internal medicine center that students can walk in to get instant urgent care.
  • New P/F in effect for incoming class (Internal ranking may still exist, not sure)

Neutral:
  • Miami could be lit to live at but could be distracting, hot and humid summers too.
  • Mid tier ranked on RD score
Negatives:
  • Heard MD class tends to be competitive, but this might change with proposed P/F for MS1/MS2
  • Away from home, family and friends for 4 years. Maybe even more due to residency.
  • MD/MPH students have to relocate to west palm beach for 3rd year, but can move back to miami for 4th year.
  • MD/MPH costs about $5000 more/year than MD only and starts in june (MD starts in august) and is a separate class(50 students) from the MD besides them now combining the programs for anatomy.
  • Have to pay for room and board and Miami isn’t cheap. Could be ~ $60,000 just for rent for the 4 years with a roommate. Would like to live comfortably during medical school which will be stressful and especially if I am away from home. Also have to pay for flights back and forth from home when visiting, food and any other miscellaneous expenses over the 4 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I can’t really say because I’m not familiar with the two programs, but are you confident in your chances in getting off the waitlist at both? It might be helpful to choose the one you really wish to attend and send a letter of intent

I can’t really say because I’m not familiar with the two programs, but are you confident in your chances in getting off the waitlist at both? It might be helpful to choose the one you really wish to attend and send a letter of intent
I wouldn't say im confident of getting off but im doing the comparison to decide on who I need to send a letter to.

I would say Howard - you will save money and I think DC is a great place to be especially since your support system is there. There are also a lot of great hospitals to be around and if you care about seeing URMs then I think Howard is the way to go

I think the great news for you is that there is a lot of waitlist movement off of both

Reactions: 1 user
I would say Howard - you will save money and I think DC is a great place to be especially since your support system is there. There are also a lot of great hospitals to be around and if you care about seeing URMs then I think Howard is the way to go

I think the great news for you is that there is a lot of waitlist movement off of both
Appreciate the response! Leaning this way at the moment

Reactions: 1 user