Howard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rskhanna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Whats the deal with howard? Do they mainly accept African Americans? Cuz, I have recieved supplementals from other schools, but not them. Anyone out there get a letter from howard, or do they just take a long time?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have visited the Howard campus, you would see why. It's about 98% African American.

i know that there are quite a few east indian people at howard. but it is historically a african american school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean if your GPA and DAT are both top-notch, Howard will still not consider you?

Mo007

Originally posted by Mo007
Does this mean if your GPA and DAT are both top-notch, Howard will still not consider you?

Mo007

This is very much true.

It isn't like they are playing a cover-up game -- their website and information from them clearly state the objectives of the school.

If some caucasians applied to the school then you should have done your homework.

Well im east indian, and they said that they wouldnt be sending me a supplemental? WTF?????? I dont have great stats, but like, what should I do? I talked to some lady, and she told me, Mrs. Russel, anyone know who I'm talking about? anyone with expereince with howard?

Howard University Dental School is guided by a mission to produce dentists whom it believes are likley to commit their lifetime careers to serving poorer populations. So applicants to Howard U need to be honest with themslevs as to why they are considering Howard U. I'm sure the Howard U adcoms are quite good at discerning who amonst the applicants are truly in tune with the mission of the school. Will they make occaisional errors in judgement?......sure. But I bet a high percentage of acceptances sent out from all of the dental schools are derived with a measure of subjectivity.

Originally posted by rskhanna
Well im east indian, and they said that they wouldnt be sending me a supplemental? WTF?????? I dont have great stats, but like, what should I do? I talked to some lady, and she told me, Mrs. Russel, anyone know who I'm talking about? anyone with expereince with howard?

You can always "fix" your stats. If this is something that you really want, then your poor stats should not be an excuse. Do a post-bacc/masters or take the DAT again. Do whatever you need to do to get in.

Good luck!

People with low stats see Howard's entrance statistics and think they are guaranteed an interview because their GPA and DAT are competitive with the school. The truth is that if you are non-minority applicant, you need to have really high stats to get in. They are committed to admitting minority students. Many of their minority applicants will be accepted despite having really low stats due to this committment. Therefore, if you are a non-minority applicant, you need to boast stats that are significantly higher than Howards' average GPA and DAT. In short, Howard uses their non-minority applicants to bring up their avg GPA and DAT. So if you are a non-minority applicant with a 3.0, you can forget getting an interview despite Howard's avg GPA being 3.0.

Also, East Indian is not defined as a minority in college and graduate school admissions. A minority is an underepresented minority. So while East Indians may be minorities in the outside world, they are represented well in professional school. Thus there are no "affirmative" efforts to recruit them. The same applies to Asians. Minorities are defined as African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and Pacific Islanders.

That's why for most of us, Howard and Meharry are not really options. Personally, I wouldn't care where I attended dental school. They are both great schools

Originally posted by mcataz

Also, East Indian is not defined as a minority in college and graduate school admissions. A minority is an underepresented minority. So while East Indians may be minorities in the outside world, they are represented well in professional school. Thus there are no "affirmative" efforts to recruit them. The same applies to Asians. Minorities are defined as African Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and Pacific Islanders.

Hi mcataz,

I agree that east indians are well represented in professional schools (they are the highest income minority in the US). But I do know of an east indian who was accepted to Howard, and he had a GPA of ~3.0. So it is possible, but not probable.

Originally posted by Dentaldream
Hi mcataz,

I agree that east indians are well represented in professional schools (they are the highest income minority in the US). But I do know of an east indian who was accepted to Howard, and he had a GPA of ~3.0. So it is possible, but not probable.

Good post and good point. I suppose I shouldn't generalize.