How'd the 1st week go??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well other than sitting through a FOUR HOUR history of medicine lecture :eek: :mad: , and destroying the superficial back muscles of my cadaver I thought it went pretty well. How about you guys? Any interesting stories?? Anyone pass out in anatomy?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey DOnut,

Well, the most important thing I learned this week was that sitting through eight hours of lecture in one day is a lot like a long car trip. You have to continually take breaks, stretch, refuel, and keep your sanity. :D But overall, it hasn't been too bad. Hope everyone has had lots of fun this week.

In my first week I learned that the abductor pollicis longus and the extensor pollicis brevis are really close to eachother and easy to confuse unless you disect deep enough to trace their origins.

I also learned that no matter how much work you do, how much you read, how hard you study...you always seem to be just a liiittle bit behind in everything...but I guess that's life...or at least life for the next few years! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A quick question for you guys:

I've heard over and over that anatomy is one of those killer MS1 courses. If you could go back and take only two or three classes your last year incollege (prior to entering med school), what would you take, and why?

I'm TAing for my school's anatomy lab, so I'll get some exposure to cadavers and dissection there. I'm also looking at biochem 2 (already taken 1), pathophysiology, and histology. I figure those would help me prepare, but I've heard that it may be best to get it from your med school. Thanks for your opinions.

Originally posted by DOnut
Well other than sitting through a FOUR HOUR history of medicine lecture :eek: :mad: , and destroying the superficial back muscles of my cadaver I thought it went pretty well. How about you guys? Any interesting stories?? Anyone pass out in anatomy?? Inquiring minds want to know!

Actually, the times I feel like passing out are more during lecture than labs.

Four hours of medical history? That's just not right. That's four extra hours of studying that you could be doing. How sad is that?? :D

Speaking of which, I better get back to the library...

Originally posted by Fenrezz

Four hours of medical history? That's just not right. That's four extra hours of studying that you could be doing. How sad is that?? :D

Exactly!!! But I guess to complement the 4 hour lecture on the history of medicine, today we had another FOUR HOUR lecture on the history of osteopathy.

I feel like Dr. Still treated me himself. They went way past making him a saint........he's the osteopathic deity.

Originally posted by DOnut

Exactly!!! But I guess to complement the 4 hour lecture on the history of medicine, today we had another FOUR HOUR lecture on the history of osteopathy.

I feel like Dr. Still treated me himself. They went way past making him a saint........he's the osteopathic deity.
Gosh, couldn't they have broken that up a bit???

I'm not sure how much time we'll spend on that, but it certainly won't be all at once!

Haha, I agree!

I think alot of us learned not to bother with the history lectures2k6+pissed+ . Besides the fact that few of the slides shown were in our manual, it was clear that many students shuffled out during breaks. I could have covered the 4 hours of material at home in 1 hour. :wow:

NYCOM 2K6

Quiz time:

What year was the "banner or osteopathy flung to the breeze?"

:laugh: :laugh:

Haha.... you guys are getting your first tastes of Dr. Dowling. He has a habit of being a bit long-winded. Although, to his credit, I heard he's actually one of the nation's authorities on the history of medicine and osteopathic medicine, chairing some AOA committees on the subject or something. You'll learn what lectures are worth your time. Hang in there.

Originally posted by DOtobe
Quiz time:

What year was the "banner or osteopathy flung to the breeze?"

:laugh: :laugh:

Baker, Kansas, 1874???

I'd like to have my anatomy book flung to the breeze.

Oh, as far as the time, it was at 12:07:32 pm, the sun was in high noon, it was 74 degrees with a slight wind out of the northeast. I think Dr. Still had just consumed a light lunch (a ham sandwich with a side of potato chips, and a glass of water).

Oh, as far as the time, it was at 12:07:32 pm, the sun was in high noon, it was 74 degrees with a slight wind out of the northeast. I think Dr. Still had just consumed a light lunch (a ham sandwich with a side of potato chips, and a glass of water).

Hey, I was wanting to see if any other schools gave such specific trivia! :p I know that you knew that one (unless you were sleeping in class and I didn't notice. :D)

As far as books to fling to the breeze: I'd choose embryology at the moment ;)

I would throw my anatomy book but it's too heavy.

Did they have potato chips in 1874?

I think I need to get back to studying.

Very good, class! :clap: :D

Originally posted by DrMom

Yep, but what day and time?? ;)

(we actually covered it that specifically today in class)

They covered day and time? :eek: All I know is June 22, 1874...