Howd you guys feel about the 2015 apmle1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where does this rumor about screening students come from?

From disgruntled students trying to make sense of other schools higher pass rates. They're not entirely wrong, there is a screening process at NYCPM: the 27 classes that are taken during the first two years. Students can blame the schools for matriculating many unqualified individuals. Students can blame the board exam, which is a stain on our profession at best. Inventing a screening process to justify a higher percentage is ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 user
Not disgruntled, I passed. Just simply trying to clear the mud in the water from a statistical standpoint. You are lying to yourself if you are blatantly denying that NYCPM doesn't give a board pre-test and withold students who do not pass it from taking boards part 1. Historically, if you go back and look at NYCPM's first try pass rate you will notice a generous boost in passing numbers in more recent years, directly attributed to their screening process.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an NYCPM alum, there is no screening test. Every single person in my class took the test at the end of 2nd year. Rather than attributing another school's success to a conspiracy theory, perhaps it is due to increased admissions standards. Our average matriculant stats are ranked 3rd, just behind AZPOD and DMU.

NYCPM alum here. No such thing exists.

Not disgruntled, I passed. Just simply trying to clear the mud in the water from a statistical standpoint. You are lying to yourself if you are blatantly denying that NYCPM doesn't give a board pre-test and withold students who do not pass it from taking boards part 1. Historically, if you go back and look at NYCPM's first try pass rate you will notice a generous boost in passing numbers in more recent years, directly attributed to their screening process.

you funny

and you wrong

Barry didn't screen a single person. We have 51 people in our class and that is how many took the test. We have since the last year. We took this very seriously. And why the hate on NY and Barry? We need to stop this divide in our profession among the schools. We will all be colleagues when we graduate.

Barry didn't screen a single person. We have 51 people in our class and that is how many took the test. We have since the last year. We took this very seriously. And why the hate on NY and Barry? We need to stop this divide in our profession among the schools. We will all be colleagues when we graduate.

The hate isn't toward graduates of Barry/NY; it's toward the schools themselves for making a tradition of admitting students who have no business taking out $50k+ in loans per year when they have no chance to succeed and make it through.

NYCPM Student here...No screening test before boards other than losing 30% of our class to failing out by the end of second year. It is VERY SAD to see fellow classmates take out over 100k in loans during their first two years for tuition and expensive housing in NYC and then be kicked out of our class because of a predatory for-profit admissions process. NYCPM gives these students with weak applications false hope by accepting them and then dragging them along for as long as they can. This is a huge difference between pod schools and md/do schools who invest in their accepted students.

NYCPM student here.

There is absolutely no screening process. Pass rate is high because the school is incredibly demanding, and only certain kids make it through. If you want you can call that a "screening". In my opinion, this has nothing to do with low admission standards or stringing along students. We are all adults, if you are good enough, work hard enough, study enough, make it a priority, you will pass.

For a class with 40 kids to have 11 fail, or whatever the numbers are, speaks directly of the school itself, I don't see a way around that. It's simple its not the material that is taught or how it is taught that creates a pass on the boards. It is a demanding environment that creates the student who will pass. I know kids with 30+ MCAT scores who string along with a 2.2 GPA and kids admitted with a 22 MCAT who have 3.0's. Hard work, that's it. No excuses.

CSPM and DMU will not post until they take the retake; at least that is word of mouth.