How's your breath?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noyac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very interesting article. I swear I have developed a very keen sense of smell when it comes to breath. I have even kept a running Talley of appy's that are perforated vs not. I will tell the surgeon post intubation whether it is perforated or not. I'm at . Btw, it isn't a gift.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...-repulseit-can-also-reveal-disease-180961527/

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so good at DL I don't have time to take a breath between inserting the blade and inflating the cuff.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought this was gonna be about when patients think NPO means don't brush your teeth in the AM

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a woman I was seeing off and on again who had surgery for stomach cancer, and had a gastrectomy for it.

I swear I could smell cancer on her breath even though she had the surgery years prior. The smell was very similar to my cadaver in medical school, who died of pancreatic cancer. I just couldn't get it out my head she was heading for badness (though she is still alive and well now.)

I had a woman I was seeing off and on again who had surgery for stomach cancer, and had a gastrectomy for it.

I swear I could smell cancer on her breath even though she had the surgery years prior. The smell was very similar to my cadaver in medical school, who died of pancreatic cancer. I just couldn't get it out my head she was heading for badness (though she is still alive and well now.)

WTF?

Pretty sure your cadaver would have smelled like formaldehyde regardless of what they died from. And since the woman you are referring to is still alive and well years after her surgery doesn't that kinda imply that you wouldn't have been smelling cancer? Maybe she just liked eating garlic for breakfast.

And you didn't put a ring on it????

Ah the one that got away . . .

Reactions: 1 user
I met her after the gastrectomy.

The cadaver I had in medical school had a smell that cut through the formalin with an odor that was the complaint of the entire anatomy lab. The formalin got everywhere, as there was no mold or any decay of the organs. But it had the smell of something...off. It did look like a Whipple was done, and the patient did die of pancreatic cancer.

But the next time I smelled it was with this woman as we made out. The kick response was back to the cadaver smell.

I met her after the gastrectomy.

The cadaver I had in medical school had a smell that cut through the formalin with an odor that was the complaint of the entire anatomy lab. The formalin got everywhere, as there was no mold or any decay of the organs. But it had the smell of something...off. It did look like a Whipple was done, and the patient did die of pancreatic cancer.

But the next time I smelled it was with this woman as we made out. The kick response was back to the cadaver smell.

so, um, just out of curiosity - I assume things didn't work out? if so, why not?