How's your COOKING situation day to day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
pbj sandwiches?

Members don't see this ad.

This thread is so sad.....

I agree with those who are saying you can make your own healthy meals. It's not hard to make meals every day, and if thats too much for you it's even easier to make a mass meal and eat it over the course of the week.

How can anyone arguing about this tell a patient with a strait face that they need to eat better? What are you going to say when they ask how they should go about doing that?

spaghettio's and vending machine sausages for dinner?
vomit-smiley-31.gif

Go ahead and crucify me as sexist, but since med schools are 50-60% women these days, (compared to my 1974 graduating class, which was about 5-7% female), does this have something to do with the interest in cooking? I honestly don't know any male doctors who know or care anything about cooking. On the other hand I can pump eight quarters into the vending machine at the hospital faster than anyone to come out with my can of Beefaroni. I have to bring my own plastic spoon, however.
methinks it has very little to do with ratio of men vs. women and these days most women (newer generation) aren't more likely to know how to cook prior to being forced to learn for themselves.. i think it has a little do with med schools selecting for more well-rounded students with different interests.. many of these students care about health and nutrition. also our knowledge about the risks of processed foods is increasing. and of course the realization that good food costs a lot and you can save money by cooking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome thread... besides the sniping i guess..

In fact, i'm just back from the store and i got a crockpot, blender and coffee maker. I'm primarily motivated to cook by financial reasons, i've been shelling ~$500/mo on eatin out :eek::eek: so that's gotta end!!

I would love some recipes, tidbits for crockpot stuff especially proportions, how much meat/potatoes/veggies/seasoning etc.. Also do u guys know good websites for beginners, basic simple cooking...

thx!

This thread is great! But the back and forth argument about not having enough time to cook is crazy... Everyone has the time to do it whether you want to or not. Is anyone here into raw/vegan foods? You can make a healthy drink/smoothie with a vitamix and cleanup in literally less than a minute.

This thread is great! But the back and forth argument about not having enough time to cook is crazy... Everyone has the time to do it whether you want to or not.

What I find crazy is people telling other people what they do and don't have time for, especially when it's a pre-dental student telling someone in med school what they have time to do and not do.

I would love some recipes, tidbits for crockpot stuff especially proportions, how much meat/potatoes/veggies/seasoning etc.. Also do u guys know good websites for beginners, basic simple cooking...

For your crockpot... it works best when it's 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full, so plan accordingly. If you're cooking meat, know that it will produce its own juices, but anything else you'll probably have to add some water. You can fill it all with meat, if you want... I've made several chicken dishes like that.

Check out http://crockpot365.blogspot.com for recipe ideas. She cooked in the crockpot every day for a year a few years ago, so there's a ton of recipes to check out there.

MD, 1974. I know all about health and nutrition, and the risk of processed foods. I tell that to all my patients. I just don't have the time to follow my own advice, so that they will probably outlive me.

I am also curious about how "well rounded" you can be if you need a 3.8 science GPA to get through the front door. Maybe it's all of those extracurricular activities, like dancing with the NYC Ballet or being an NFL quartrerback or an astronaut that med schools require these days, which they didn't care about when I was applyiing. I guess nerds like me need not apply.

What I find crazy is people telling other people what they do and don't have time for, especially when it's a pre-dental student telling someone in med school what they have time to do and not do.
So everyone in med school is either starving or eating out? Food preparation does not require a large time commitment nor is it overly difficult, as many others before me have echoed

So everyone in med school is either starving or eating out? Food preparation does not require a large time commitment nor is it overly difficult, as many others before me have echoed

Exactly who said everyone? I've read this entire thread and haven't seen one person utter the word "everyone." By contrast, you're the one trying to make absolutes with your belief that "everyone" has time to do this or that instead of understanding that not everyone is in the same boat. Some people have a rougher school schedule than others and required attendance, which is why when the age-old question "how much free time will I have during MS1" is asked here on SDN, there are varying answers. For you to dismiss all that and come in to preach your belief that "everyone has time..." as a PRE-dental student is not only extremely arrogant, but also overly presumptuous.

I can tell you that I often didn't have time to cook during first year unless I did it on the weekends. Most sections, we had class/labs from 8-5 and then some nights tutoring (everyone at my school had access to tutors first year) from 6-8 p.m. I'd get home at 8:30 and still had four or five lectures to review before bed. I don't care how "easy" it is, at 8:30 at night with four hours of work ahead of me, there was no time for cooking. The nights I got home earlier, I'd have time to pull something together, but we generally didn't get our tutoring schedule until the week of so it was difficult to plan for those nights (defrost chicken, etc.). I cooked on the weekend and frequently froze what I made for the week. This plan went to hell on test weekends though.

As a second year, I get out earlier, but during our neuro block, there were days when we had class from 8-5 and by the time I got home, I knew I had something like 6-7 hours of work ahead of me in reviewing the days' notes. I may have had literal "time" to cook, as in there were still hours left in the day, but it's a stretch to say there's always time to cook.

Anyway, if you eat healthy, this shouldn't be a problem. Most resteraunts have healthy options these days. If you have the money to do it, get take-out from a place that lists their fat content and has healthy menu items.

On the flip side, if you don't mind overcooked foods, you could always defrost chicken overnight and dump it into your crockpot before school so it's cooking the whole time you're gone. You get home at 6 p.m. or whatever and your chicken is (over)cooked and ready to be eaten.

If I cook 7 days worth of food, I guarantee you that I will finish it all on day 3. I'm a "eat what's in front of me" type of guy.

If I cook 7 days worth of food, I guarantee you that I will finish it all on day 3. I'm a "eat what's in front of me" type of guy.

Yeah, Im the same as you.

I usually study at my apartment so if I have any food around that I can just pop in my mouth and eat without having to think about it, it will be all gone in day.

Members don't see this ad :)

ya this is the main reason why i try to only buy food that's healthy and requires preparation. yesterday i ate half a leftover turkey and like 5 servings of rice and potatoes just because it was there. :(

Just got back from Sat. AM hospital rounds. Breakfast and lunch consists of Big Bag of Cheez Doodles with 20 oz RC Cola while typing this note. On call dinner tonight will be Large Domino's Death Disk with extra cheese, mushrooms, pepperoni and onions. Tomorrow night's dinner will be leftover pizza, but with a supermarket health salad topped with low-cal French dressing. Does that qualifiy me as a healthy eater?

Just got back from Sat. AM hospital rounds. Breakfast and lunch consists of Big Bag of Cheez Doodles with 20 oz RC Cola while typing this note. On call dinner tonight will be Large Domino's Death Disk with extra cheese, mushrooms, pepperoni and onions. Tomorrow night's dinner will be leftover pizza, but with a supermarket health salad topped with low-cal French dressing. Does that qualifiy me as a healthy eater?

The idea of healthy eating is one that people will fight all day about. The term health eating is relative to the person's definition of healthy food which usually stems from the public media's opinion of "what is healthy".

For my opinion of healthy, would be eatting slight above or below my maintenance calories, and getting some proper amount of macro nutrient distribution, while trying to keep refined sugars as low as possible. 50% carbohydrates / 30% protein / 20% fat is a good macronutrient profile to aim for. I like to aim for 40/40/20 distribution, trying to get 1g protein per kg body weight. There are alot of studies that debate how much protein we should get in our diet (you can read up on them if you want), but this is what I try to shoot for.

Im not going to say chips are "unhealthy" when eaten in moderation but there are alot better alternative. 1.5 apples ~ a bag of chips and your getting alot better micro nutrition from the apple.

Coke (non-diet) is about one of the worst things in my opinion because of all that sugar. I really try to avoid coke. I do drink alot of diet-coke, which is something I wish I didn't do, so water is always the better choice.

Pizza is a butt load of carbs (crust + sauce) and fat (cheese) with minimal protein. If I ever get pizza I usually try to aim for the thin crust. That way im not blowing up my calorie count for the day.

Salads aren't bad, they are very filling, low calorie, and make you feel like you are eatting alot of food for how much energy you are really getting for them. Just be careful on the salad dressings, some of them can provide up to 100 calories from just 2 tabelspoons. Fat free dressing is always a better choice but u can still get some pretty bad ingredients in those dressings. Personally I know its weird but I put mustard on my salad. It tastes like honey mustard with out all the sugar and makes for a great salad topping.

Anyways, im weird and this was my opinion on nutrition since you asked.

Thanks, Celkon. I learned more from your post than they taught in med school in the 1970's.

MD, 1974. I know all about health and nutrition, and the risk of processed foods. I tell that to all my patients. I just don't have the time to follow my own advice, so that they will probably outlive me.

I am also curious about how "well rounded" you can be if you need a 3.8 science GPA to get through the front door. Maybe it's all of those extracurricular activities, like dancing with the NYC Ballet or being an NFL quartrerback or an astronaut that med schools require these days, which they didn't care about when I was applyiing. I guess nerds like me need not apply.
hahahhaa i like you. its true...

no one here mentioned french fries.. so easy. cut up potatoes into strips and fry with whatever seasonings you like! or cut into thin disks for homemade potato chips :D
not healthy but cheap and easy to make.. hehe.

what do you guys do about exercise? i used to be all about resistance workouts pretty much stopped working out ~2 years ago when i decided i wanted to do the med school route and studied for mcat and piled on a bunch of ECs. now in med school its even harder to get back into shape.

hahahhaa i like you. its true...

no one here mentioned french fries.. so easy. cut up potatoes into strips and fry with whatever seasonings you like! or cut into thin disks for homemade potato chips :D
not healthy but cheap and easy to make.. hehe.

what do you guys do about exercise? i used to be all about resistance workouts pretty much stopped working out ~2 years ago when i decided i wanted to do the med school route and studied for mcat and piled on a bunch of ECs. now in med school its even harder to get back into shape.

[cough].. i do stairs daily.. my bedroom's on the 2nd floor so i run up n down quite a bit... oh i also sit way up in the auditorium (when i make it to class :oops:) and i take the stairs for that..

for more rigorous exercise, i used to run 2mi 3-4 times a week at the beginning of the semester but that has fallen by the wayside, sadly. If I want to do a quick n dirty workout at times, i just run up n down the stairs in the parking garage (~7 flights), i do it twice and boy do i get winded... This should qualify as HIIT, i think...

For your crockpot... it works best when it's 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full, so plan accordingly. If you're cooking meat, know that it will produce its own juices, but anything else you'll probably have to add some water. You can fill it all with meat, if you want... I've made several chicken dishes like that.

Check out http://crockpot365.blogspot.com for recipe ideas. She cooked in the crockpot every day for a year a few years ago, so there's a ton of recipes to check out there.

awesome tips and thx for the site i'll check it out. :thumbup::thumbup:

I try to work exercise into my daily routine. I always park my car in the way out section of the parking lot of the hospital, I always use the stairs, never the elevator and walk the dog 3-4 X/night around my old HS 1/mile track. I've done this with a pedometer, and I manage to log 2-3 miles walking/day, min. Best I can do. Although I don't count calories, I watch my weight, and basically go by the simple proposition that if calories in = calroies out, I'm not doing too badly, although my daily percentage of calories from protein, fat and carbs probably varies significantly. I'll probably walk a couple extra 12 flight stairs tomorrow in the hospital to work off the Domino's Death Disk from last night and this evening.

Exactly who said everyone? I've read this entire thread and haven't seen one person utter the word "everyone." By contrast, you're the one trying to make absolutes with your belief that "everyone" has time to do this or that instead of understanding that not everyone is in the same boat. Some people have a rougher school schedule than others and required attendance, which is why when the age-old question "how much free time will I have during MS1" is asked here on SDN, there are varying answers. For you to dismiss all that and come in to preach your belief that "everyone has time..." as a PRE-dental student is not only extremely arrogant, but also overly presumptuous.
Now I think this argument is getting out of hand. It's possible to make a healthy and easy meal in about 30 minutes or even less. Are you telling me that no one has even that amount of time to cook something? Maybe someone is tired, or doesn't want to but CAN'T? What about when prepackaged processed food or fast food restaurants weren't as popular as they were now? Why even stick with cooking, let's branch out onto showering, sleeping and doing laundry, are you going to say that I'm telling people what they can or can't do if I say that people should have time to do those also?

Lots of frozen dinners, soups, sandwiches, and the like. Microwaves are my friends.

Now I think this argument is getting out of hand. It's possible to make a healthy and easy meal in about 30 minutes or even less. Are you telling me that no one has even that amount of time to cook something? Maybe someone is tired, or doesn't want to but CAN'T? What about when prepackaged processed food or fast food restaurants weren't as popular as they were now? Why even stick with cooking, let's branch out onto showering, sleeping and doing laundry, are you going to say that I'm telling people what they can or can't do if I say that people should have time to do those also?

Let me quote a post from upthread:

EmersonAnne said:
I can tell you that I often didn't have time to cook during first year unless I did it on the weekends. Most sections, we had class/labs from 8-5 and then some nights tutoring (everyone at my school had access to tutors first year) from 6-8 p.m. I'd get home at 8:30 and still had four or five lectures to review before bed. I don't care how "easy" it is, at 8:30 at night with four hours of work ahead of me, there was no time for cooking. The nights I got home earlier, I'd have time to pull something together, but we generally didn't get our tutoring schedule until the week of so it was difficult to plan for those nights (defrost chicken, etc.). I cooked on the weekend and frequently froze what I made for the week. This plan went to hell on test weekends though.

As a second year, I get out earlier, but during our neuro block, there were days when we had class from 8-5 and by the time I got home, I knew I had something like 6-7 hours of work ahead of me in reviewing the days' notes. I may have had literal "time" to cook, as in there were still hours left in the day, but it's a stretch to say there's always time to cook.

Now, are you going to be arrogant enough as someone not even in med school or dental school for that matter, to tell someone who is what they do and don't have time for?

I don't understand why some people act so offended when others claim their schedule is too packed to allow for nightly cooking that they come right out and call them a liar. I really don't get why some of you are wound so tight that you can't allow for the possibility that not everyone has the same amount of free time and that yes, even cooking on a nightly basis, is too time-consuming for some.

As for the other crap you listed, my guess is that everyone sleeps and showers on a daily basis. That was a ridiculous argument. No one said "there's no time for anything else in the whole wide world except school". What they said was there isn't time to COOK (not even there isn't time to eat) during the week. Obviously, some consider showering more important than cooking and I suspect if you were their classmates, you probably would rather they shower than take the time to cook the night before.

If you don't understand the argument, don't try to fight it.

Let me quote a post from upthread:

Now, are you going to be arrogant enough as someone not even in med school or dental school for that matter, to tell someone who is what they do and don't have time for?

I don't understand why some people act so offended when others claim their schedule is too packed to allow for nightly cooking that they come right out and call them a liar. I really don't get why some of you are wound so tight that you can't allow for the possibility that not everyone has the same amount of free time and that yes, even cooking on a nightly basis, is too time-consuming for some.

As for the other crap you listed, my guess is that everyone sleeps and showers on a daily basis. That was a ridiculous argument. No one said "there's no time for anything else in the whole wide world except school". What they said was there isn't time to COOK (not even there isn't time to eat) during the week. Obviously, some consider showering more important than cooking and I suspect if you were their classmates, you probably would rather they shower than take the time to cook the night before.

If you don't understand the argument, don't try to fight it.

The quote you posted doesn't really support your point... The student said that they DID have time to do it even as a MS1, whether they wanted to or not was a different story. Whether or not people consider showering more important than cooking isn't really my problem, if you make anything a priority you can make time for it. You can keep emphasizing how busy or how much work a med/dental/whatever student has to do but my point still stands... the time IS there.

For you and the other poster, I am not "telling" people what they time to do or not do as you both keep repeating, I am saying that the time is there if you make it a priority. No one should eat junk/fast food and solely use the excuse "because I don't have anytime" cause it simply isn't true.

The quote you posted doesn't really support your point... The student said that they DID have time to do it even as a MS1, whether they wanted to or not was a different story.

What she said was:
I can tell you that I often didn't have time to cook during first year unless I did it on the weekends.

Whether or not people consider showering more important than cooking isn't really my problem, if you make anything a priority you can make time for it. You can keep emphasizing how busy or how much work a med/dental/whatever student has to do but my point still stands... the time IS there.

You know what? I also have time to work 50 hours a week in addition to going to med school. The hours ARE there. But if anyone asks me, "hey, why don't you have a full-time job while going to med school?" I'm going to say "there's no time." Will I be lying?

For you and the other poster, I am not "telling" people what they time to do or not do as you both keep repeating,

From your very first post in this thread:
Everyone has the time to do it whether you want to or not.

I am saying that the time is there if you make it a priority.

As I said above, the time is also there to work 50 hours a week in addition to going to med school, if I make it a priority. I doubt you'd jump on me if I said "I don't have time" in response to someone who asked why I don't work full-time.

No one should eat junk/fast food and solely use the excuse "because I don't have anytime" cause it simply isn't true.

I'd like you to show me where the few med students who complained about time constraints said they were eating junk food or fast food. There ARE healthy options for those who can't cook every night, you know. Maybe you should stop being so judgmental and assuming things that aren't true.

What she said was:

You know what? I also have time to work 50 hours a week in addition to going to med school. The hours ARE there. But if anyone asks me, "hey, why don't you have a full-time job while going to med school?" I'm going to say "there's no time." Will I be lying?

From your very first post in this thread:

As I said above, the time is also there to work 50 hours a week in addition to going to med school, if I make it a priority. I doubt you'd jump on me if I said "I don't have time" in response to someone who asked why I don't work full-time.

I'd like you to show me where the few med students who complained about time constraints said they were eating junk food or fast food. There ARE healthy options for those who can't cook every night, you know. Maybe you should stop being so judgmental and assuming things that aren't true.
So me comparing cooking to showering is a "ridiculous argument" but you comparing cooking to working 50 hours a week isn't...

Instead of knit picking the points of your post, we'll just have to agree to disagree. IMHO to only way to eat healthiest you can is by making and preparing food yourself. There are countless recipes that you can make is a very short time (even less if your a vegan/raw foodist like me) if your willing to look. Instead of working 50 hours a week, you can go and blend a super healthy green drink, or prepare a great salad in less then 10 minutes. But no one has the time right?

So me comparing cooking to showering is a "ridiculous argument" but you comparing cooking to working 50 hours a week isn't...

Instead of knit picking the points of your post, we'll just have to agree to disagree. IMHO to only way to eat healthiest you can is by making and preparing food yourself. There are countless recipes that you can make is a very short time (even less if your a vegan/raw foodist like me) if your willing to look. Instead of working 50 hours a week, you can go and blend a super healthy green drink, or prepare a great salad in less then 10 minutes. But no one has the time right?

By your logic, if there are hours in the day, there must be time. Well, there are hours in the day to work, therefore, there must be time. It's priorities, after all.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with a know-it-all. You're too arrogant to consider anyone else's point of view and want to make a one-size-fits-all black and white statement with no room for gray. So thanks for the tip. I don't know how I ever lived without your wisdom. You know all.

:::sigh:::

By your logic, if there are hours in the day, there must be time. Well, there are hours in the day to work, therefore, there must be time. It's priorities, after all.

Anyway, I'm done arguing with a know-it-all. You're too arrogant to consider anyone else's point of view and want to make a one-size-fits-all black and white statement with no room for gray. So thanks for the tip. I don't know how I ever lived without your wisdom. You know all.

:::sigh:::
When all else fails, use ad hominems...

When I'm at school, I eat at school. When at I'm home and I have time, I cook. All the things I cook take 30 mins max. If I go over 30 mins, then I have failed in efficiency. You can make rice+meat+vegetables or pasta+meat+vegetables or eggs if you're a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I normally cook vegetarian even though I'm non-vegetarian. It's just a lot faster. I mean you can go get meat, but it takes a while to cut it and you'll finish it fast. Easiest way to cook meat is just put it in the oven. I used youtube to learn how to cook and I pretty much rotate between 5 recipes.

During exams, I pretty much have noodles, snacks, and lots of take-out. You gotta prioritize, what's more important, cooking and saving money or eating healthy, saving time, and doing good in school?

I am also curious about how "well rounded" you can be if you need a 3.8 science GPA to get through the front door. Maybe it's all of those extracurricular activities, like dancing with the NYC Ballet or being an NFL quartrerback or an astronaut that med schools require these days, which they didn't care about when I was applying. I guess nerds like me need not apply.

^LOL, I agree. Also, don't worry, it's the same even now. It was funny at my school, the surgery club invited a neurosurgeon to speak. The Neurosurgeon said that the last thing they care about when looking at a student is which clubs he was president in or what extracurrics he has. It was somewhat ironic since the president of the surgery club was sitting in the front.

Cut up a few chicken breasts into cubes, pan fry them with a little bit of olive oil, and place them in tupperware and freeze them for use in the rest of the week. I usually mix some of the chicken cubes with rice or salad. If I am really busy, I usually slap some of these in between two slices of toast.

Hilarious thread. Keep this thread going, guys. :lol:

Just gonna sit back and enjoy the show :corny:

However, I do want to make a quick comment about:
How can anyone arguing about this tell a patient with a strait face that they need to eat better? What are you going to say when they ask how they should go about doing that?

spaghettio's and vending machine sausages for dinner?
vomit-smiley-31.gif
I guess the same way that doctors who smoke tell their patients that smoking is bad?

What's time consuming about cooking isn't just the prep but the cleanup as well. Especially with raw meat and eggs.

Paper plates + plastic utensils. :thumbup:

-the-environment-THIS-IS-MED-SCHOOL.jpg

I'm pretty sure the poster meant cleaning up the KITCHEN, since he specifically mentioned RAW meat and eggs.

man you guys find ways to argue about just about anything.. thank god i'm not marrying a med student.

The med school I am heading to has frats, with private chefs! They cook meals during the week. Great way to eat healthy and focus on school. Plus instant party group right after tests.

The med school I am heading to has frats, with private chefs! They cook meals during the week. Great way to eat healthy and focus on school. Plus instant party group right after tests.
youre kidding me?

Yeah its fairly impressive, and the price is is great. Around 300's a month, all bills paid. Including 9 meals a week from a former cruise ship chef; in one of the houses. Plus great perks; old notes, books, and guidance of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th year students plus in-house library of medical texts, references, and review books. The houses are all with in walking distance of campus too.

Best part of all is the USMLE scores > 240 ave in one house :eek:. Hard to argue with that!

Go figure that I don't have a penis and can't live in the best house. Its the one private frat and doesn't let in girls. The ones involved with the school do allow girls to join.

So I decided to live with a lady who is going to cook and clean for me. :D

Figure I have to put all my time into studying!

Whoa! $3600/year for a meal plan X 4 years = $14,400 for four years. That is more then the entire cost of my medical school tuition ($12,000 for four years in a private med school in the early 1970's). The amount you guys are shelling out to eat food prepared by an ex cruise ship chef is more than I made as a PGY 1 in 1974 ($12,800). Man, you guys are spoiled.

Whoa! $3600/year for a meal plan X 4 years = $14,400 for four years. That is more then the entire cost of my medical school tuition ($12,000 for four years in a private med school in the early 1970's). The amount you guys are shelling out to eat food prepared by an ex cruise ship chef is more than I made as a PGY 1 in 1974 ($12,800). Man, you guys are spoiled.

Either you don't understand inflation (which I doubt) or you are deliberately refusing to appreciate it in attempt to hark back to the good old days when you had it so rough. Adjusted for inflation (using a random internet calculator) $12,800 in 1974 would buy you about the same as $55,000 today, which is greater than $10,000 above what a PGY1 makes today.

You say, "you guys" as if most people have the luxury of a home chef. I assure you that a large number of med students live on <$10,000 in total yearly living expenses, which necessitates buying food in bulk and cooking every day, YADA YADA YADA. Also, $10 a day on food/drink is really not living in the lap of luxury anyway.

So really, you paid 1/4 for med school as we will, made $10,000 a year more in residency, and undoubtedly made much much more over the course of your career than we will be able to. I am not complaining at all; I'm happy in medicine and I eat very well, haha, just pointing out basic facts..

The fun part is they live there for that price! Lol not just eating! In the 300's includes RENT , food and all the other perks.

What are you paying for rent and your monthly grocery bill? How much did you spend on your books this year? Did you have to pay for a tutor? If you have a car, how about parking or gas?

Or for Cruzin what did you pay in 1974?

I am guessing it adds up to WAY more than what we are paying.

The fun part is they live there for that price! Lol not just eat! In the 300's includes RENT , food and all the other perks.

What are you paying for rent and your monthly grocery bill? How much did you spend on your books this year? Did you have to pay for a tutor? If you have a car, how about parking or gas?

I am guessing it adds up to WAY more than what we are paying.

:eek:Texas is stylin' on all of us.:( My rent+ utilities+internet are $480ish

:eek:Texas is stylin' on all of us.:( My rent+ utilities+internet are $480ish

That we are... But 480 is better than most places in the US. Hard to argue with paying under 500 a month for all that. Are you turning on your heat and air?

When I was in Lubbock my rent was 425 all bills paid, fully furnished. But I was the private chef, for my med student roommate:thumbup:

While you may not always have the time to cook a great meal by cooking I have saved tons of money which I don't have. Also its a bit relaxing to take a minute or two out of my day.
You don't have to be fancy, just throw some chicken in the oven with barbeque sauce and put some rice in the rice cooker. Easy and healthy. Or throw together a salad for dinner. I have a sweet tooth, so to save some money I bake alot. If you have a mixer it takes no time and voila you have a snack for the whole week.

Its takes me very little time to cook and its not bad, I will never be asked to be on the Food network but I haven't had food poisoning yet.

haha only 14,400 for 4 years? Rent alone costs my boyfriend and me $24,000+ a year.. $2100 a month