HPM Application & Interview Invite Thread 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted applications to programs the second half of August. Any idea if places have already closed all their interview slots at this point?

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted applications to programs the second half of August. Any idea if places have already closed all their interview slots at this point?

yup, doors closed better luck next year ;)

na, places are still sending out invites, I got one yesterday. There’s huge variability in how/when places send out the invites it seems

I’ve gotten two “we’re thinking of you” updates and radio silence from a fair number of places. Not gonna read into it too much

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
7/21 Penn State, Ohio State, Jefferson
7/22 U of Washington, Vanderbilt
7/23 U of Nevada Reno, Prisma Health / U of South Carolina, George Washington University, U of Missouri, UT Health San Antonio, TX
7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/29 Duke, MUSC, Texas Tech
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/3 UC Irvine, U of Arizona-Phoenix, UPMC
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/5 UT Health McGovern, Northwell (NY), UCSD, Michigan
8/6 Stanford, Wake Forest
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/11 UT Austin, U of Arizona-Tucson, HonorHealth Arizona, John Hopkins
8/12 Children's Hospital of LA, Texas Children's Hospital, Harvard Integrated Program, New York Presbyterian-QUEENS (NYC), Children’s Mercy/Kansas
8/13 University of Pennsylvania, Phoenix Children
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/17 Cooper University, Emory, UC Davis, UCLA
8/18 Stony Brook University
8/23 Cincinnati Children’s
8/24 New York Presbyterian-Cornell/Columbia
8/31 Loma Linda

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys sending thank you emails to your interviewers? Not sure what the etiquette is, some of the interview days have you with 5-6 interviewers

Reactions: 1 user
Are you guys sending thank you emails to your interviewers? Not sure what the etiquette is, some of the interview days have you with 5-6 interviewers
No, partially because I am a poorly raised heathen but mostly because when i interviewed students I always found the notes irritating.

I usually thank the coordinator and ask them to pass along my thanks if they have time. I also say it at the end of the day and each interview

sending a thank you that gets immediately trashed seems odd to me, and like a waste of time for everyone.

But I think the sentiment from everyone from med schools to residencies to fellowships is “send if you want, it doesn’t matter”

It doesn't matter.
Working in admissions at the medical school, residency, and fellowship level -- often your "fate" is decided well before any snail mail letter arrives.

For example in residency, right after interview day ended, we went into a room together and rearranged the rank list accordingly.

Write a letter if that is who you are -- but they aren't expected...and unless you write something egregious, it isn't going to change your outcome.

7/23 U of Nevada Reno, Prisma Health / U of South Carolina, George Washington University, U of Missouri, UT Health San Antonio, TX
7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/12 Children's Hospital of LA, Texas Children's Hospital, Harvard Integrated Program, New York Presbyterian-QUEENS (NYC), Children’s Mercy/Kansas
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/31 Loma Linda
9/6 Oregon Health & Science U

Looks like there are still some invites going out. Interview season has started though, so good luck to everyone!

7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/31 Loma Linda
9/3 Yale

7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/27 UCSF
8/31 Loma Linda
9/3 Yale, Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
9/7 Creighton SOM Phoenix

7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/27 UCSF
8/31 Loma Linda
9/8 John Peter Smith Hospital TX

7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/27 UCSF
8/31 Loma Linda
9/9 UPMC Pediatric Track

Hey y’all! Any pediatricians apply for pediatric programs and/or peds-track programs? Just trying to get a sense of when invites have (/will) be sent out…. Thanks!
Hi, I'm also applying in pediatrics. Still waiting on interviews/rejections from a few programs that have been silent so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking back at previous years’ threads. There were some invites that went into October so there’s hope for those waiting for more invites. And if not, there were open positions after the match that people got into last year.

Good luck to everyone on your interviews. The couple that I’ve been on so far have been awesome and the co-applicants I’ve met along the way have been very impressive.

How much prior notice should you give a program when canceling the interview? Obviously, the more notice the better…but in general is there a time frame?

Nrmp opened ranking!
It’s beginning to feel kind of real

Is it standard for programs to have a physician recruiter reach out to you after with benefits info etc? Or is this a sign of interest from the program?

How much prior notice should you give a program when canceling the interview? Obviously, the more notice the better…but in general is there a time frame?
According to my PD, anything less than 2 weeks requires a personal phone call.

7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/27 UCSF
8/31 Loma Linda
9/9 UPMC Pediatric Track
10/21 UT MD Anderson - Methodist Track

7/26 Tulane, UVA
7/27 Mt Sinai SOM (nyc)
7/30 Mayo (Arizona)
8/4 Kaiser LA
8/7 UNC
8/9 NYU
8/16 Cedars Los Angeles
8/27 UCSF
8/31 Loma Linda
9/9 UPMC Pediatric Track
10/21 UT MD Anderson - Methodist Track
10/25 UT MD Anderson - VA Track

I was speaking to a program director recently and they remarked how there were more applicants this year than previous. I’m not sure if this holds for all programs, but it also seems like this years iteration of the application thread is also more viewed and commented on. I’m glad because that means the subspecialty is growing. But as an applicant i over think these things and start to become concerned about my match. Regardless I know we will all end up at a program that is right for us.

Just a reminder to my coapplicants, don’t forget to certify your rank lists.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Reactions: 4 users
Having some trouble ranking a few programs in my mind, so I was wondering if I could get some feedback here! My biggest priority is strength of clinical training (particularly inpatient consult service). Only adult programs. No geographic preferences. Tentative order on ROL:

Duke
Northwestern
Brown
MD Anderson
Colorado

Also happy to give an opinion for other folks, caveats being I'm still an applicant and I only applied academics, so I don't know anything about community programs or peds-focused programs.

Just a reminder to my coapplicants, don’t forget to certify your rank lists.

May the odds be ever in your favor.
Amen. And also you can re-certify later if you change your mind, so there's pretty much no downside to certifying early.

Last edited:
Just another reminder: certify those rank lists! Due Wednesday at 9pm eastern time.

No downside to doing it now, as you can still edit later (and neurotically check again and again to make sure you recertified like I just did).

Do it now if you have not!

And that's a wrap. Good luck everyone!

Congratulations! Very excited to have matched into one of my top choices! Fellowship here we come.

Thinking back on this application cycle, there were a lot of questions that I had answered and things that I did that I felt helped me to match to the right program for me. Hopefully this will be helpful to future applicants who come across this threat:

-I didn't send any thank you emails and I don't think it affected my match
-Have a good video setup with good connection and lighting. I saw other applicants interview in their offices where there was automatic lights that would turn off and others who had spotty connection.
-Salaries and benefits vary widely. Things that mattered to me:
-medical coverage for dependents
-housing stipend
-professional days (days given off to do interviews or presentations)
-conference/presentation support
-Program size mattered to me. My co-fellows and program alums can be a strong network in the future, regardless of where I work. It's still a small specialty and some programs have reunion type get togethers at AAHPM annual conference.

Questions that I asked:
1. What is the biggest challenge facing Hospice and Palliative Medicine and how will I be taught to address that challenge in this program?
2. What is the presentation responsibility[burden] of the fellows in the program?
3. What is the program doing to ensure wellness in the staff and with the fellows?

I used the NRMP PRISM app to rate each program immediately after the interviews and added categories that I felt were important.

I hope this will be helpful to others. Please feel free to add any other advise you learned on your path to fellowship.

Congrats again everyone!

Hello everyone
If anyone is still looking this forum, I really appreciate your honest response
I applied for heme onc fellowship and looked at soap only yesterday and emailed few programs, most of the programs are small and new.
There is a new program at Levine cancer institute and I emailed them and give me iv. Can anyone shed me light to going to heme onc after hospice fellowship

Hello everyone
If anyone is still looking this forum, I really appreciate your honest response
I applied for heme onc fellowship and looked at soap only yesterday and emailed few programs, most of the programs are small and new.
There is a new program at Levine cancer institute and I emailed them and give me iv. Can anyone shed me light to going to heme onc after hospice fellowship

Thinking back on this application cycle, there were a lot of questions that I had answered and things that I did that I felt helped me to match to the right program for me. Hopefully this will be helpful to future applicants who come across this threat:

-I didn't send any thank you emails and I don't think it affected my match
-Have a good video setup with good connection and lighting. I saw other applicants interview in their offices where there was automatic lights that would turn off and others who had spotty connection.
-Salaries and benefits vary widely. Things that mattered to me:
-medical coverage for dependents
-housing stipend
-professional days (days given off to do interviews or presentations)
-conference/presentation support
-Program size mattered to me. My co-fellows and program alums can be a strong network in the future, regardless of where I work. It's still a small specialty and some programs have reunion type get togethers at AAHPM annual conference.

Questions that I asked:
1. What is the biggest challenge facing Hospice and Palliative Medicine and how will I be taught to address that challenge in this program?
2. What is the presentation responsibility[burden] of the fellows in the program?
3. What is the program doing to ensure wellness in the staff and with the fellows?

I used the NRMP PRISM app to rate each program immediately after the interviews and added categories that I felt were important.

I hope this will be helpful to others. Please feel free to add any other advise you learned on your path to fellowship.

Congrats again everyone!
I agree with this, I did not send thank you emails to any program I interviewed at and I matched at my top choice. I also did not send a "letter of intent" email. To add on, another question that I would ask is if the palliative care team is the team that manages PCAs or infusions (like morphine or ketamine drips), or are these managed by another service like anesthesia.

Reflecting on the programs I interviewed at it seemed that the biggest differences between programs were:
-How their outpatient is set up, do they have dedicated palliative care clinic or is it imbedded in onc/geri/PCP clinic
-Call schedule-do they have any weekend/nights/pager call. Is call at home or do they have to come in?
-Size-programs I interviewed at ranged from 1-6 fellows
-Types of consults (GOC vs symptom). This really only applied to MD Anderson and MSKCC as they both mostly focused on very advanced symptom management with less of an emphasis on GOC discussions.