HPSP and Migraines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happytograduate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS-4 and am part of the Navy HPSP which I started at the beginning of medical school. I was recently (within the past few months) diagnosed with migraine headaches and am currently on Paxil for it. Will this limit my HPSP scholarship in anyway or are the rules only stringent when you first enlist? Does it matter whether you're graduated or not as far as when the Navy finds out (i.e. tell them when I've graduated vs. telling them now). I don't wish for it to limit anything, but it seems like I don't have a choice as these things probably have to be reported annually. Thanks.

P.S. I have no idea why my status says Resident, when I clicked "Medical Student". Some freudian jumping the gun there I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an MS-2 and am part of the Navy HPSP which I started at the beginning of medical school. I was recently (within the past few months) diagnosed with migraine headaches and am currently on Paxil for it. Will this limit my HPSP scholarship in anyway or are the rules only stringent when you first enlist? Does it matter whether you're graduated or not as far as when the Navy finds out (i.e. tell them when I've graduated vs. telling them now). I don't wish for it to limit anything, but it seems like I don't have a choice as these things probably have to be reported annually. Thanks.

P.S. I have no idea why my status says Resident, when I clicked "Medical Student". Some freudian jumping the gun there I guess.

Retention standards are more relaxed than recruiting standards. Some people may give you a raised eyebrow since Paxil is technically an antidepressant, but I'm 99.999999% sure you will be fine.

If you have to leave the program for any reason you will likely be responsible to reimburse the government for all the costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to leave the program for any reason you will likely be responsible to reimburse the government for all the costs.

I doubt they can/would force reimbursement if they kicked someone out for a medical condition that wasn't preexisting. If they knew and failed to disclose while applying, that would be a different story.

Retention standards are more relaxed than recruiting standards. Some people may give you a raised eyebrow since Paxil is technically an antidepressant, but I'm 99.999999% sure you will be fine.

Just to be clear, Paxil can be used as a migraine preventative (http://www.migraines.org/treatment/propaxil.htm), as well as an anti-depressant and anti-anxiety. Would the Navy keep someone with a condition such as depression or anxiety who is being treated or is that a major deal breaker?

Just to be clear, Paxil can be used as a migraine preventative (http://www.migraines.org/treatment/propaxil.htm), as well as an anti-depressant and anti-anxiety. Would the Navy keep someone with a condition such as depression or anxiety who is being treated or is that a major deal breaker?

I am aware the Paxil is used for migraine prophylaxis.

Most likely someone with diagnosed depression or anxiety who could function reasonably well while on medication would not be discharged, though I don't know if the same person would get through MEPS.

I am aware the Paxil is used for migraine prophylaxis.

Most likely someone with diagnosed depression or anxiety who could function reasonably well while on medication would not be discharged, though I don't know if the same person would get through MEPS.

Won't get you kicked out as long as they are controlled. Lots of people on active duty with migraines and on Paxil. (although not necessarily both.)