HPSP and waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingcer0x

Re-Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently commissioned into the Air Force for HPSP. I was wondering how easy it is to change your school designation if, say, one was to get in off of a waitlist at a school they would like to attend? If so, how late do you think I can wait, til July 1st or so hopefully? My recruiter seemed to think it wasnt a problem, but I wanted to see if anyone had a personal experience they wish to share. Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think as long as you transfer to another resident state funded school it's not a problem. However if you are from Texas and get accepted into one of their many programs, get accepted into HPSP, then decide to go private (which are sometimes easier to get into because of high tuition) or move to california (pay out of state tuition) then there's a problem. If you get accepted into tulane before you apply the army will pay, then they would love for you to switch to a state school.

thanks for the info. the school i submitted with my application (Albany) is cheaper than the school i am waitlisted at (BU) so thats not a problem. I believe the housing allowance is greater for someone in Boston than Albany, so would i lose out on the difference if i end up at BU?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by kingcer0x
thanks for the info. the school i submitted with my application (Albany) is cheaper than the school i am waitlisted at (BU) so thats not a problem. I believe the housing allowance is greater for someone in Boston than Albany, so would i lose out on the difference if i end up at BU?

i don't think you get a housing allowance on HPSP. you just get a flat stipend/month and reimbursement for books, equipment, basic insurance, etc.. at least *i* haven't been getting any housing allowance, lol. maybe i missed a memo :)

the housing thing came from my recruiter... he definitely said i would get more in my stiped if i was living in boston than in albany... i'll double check though

Yeah, have your recruiter call me too ;)

Originally posted by kingcer0x
the housing thing came from my recruiter... he definitely said i would get more in my stiped if i was living in boston than in albany... i'll double check though

that's the first i heard of this. he *may* be pulling your leg. i'm almost certain that stipends for HPSP are like stipends for ROTC-- they're the same for everyone across the board. Prior service folks don't even get more pay, and that would be easier to determine than a cost of living adjustment. definitely pin your recruiter down on this one with a definitive answer, and some paperwork to prove it. :)

I live in a big city and I wish I got more than what everyone who goes to school up in say, Lebanon, NH where Dartmouth is.

Unfortunately, the saying is again shown to be true.

How do you tell your recruiting is lying?
He's moving his lips.

Originally posted by bobbyseal
I

Unfortunately, the saying is again shown to be true.

How do you tell your recruiting is lying?
He's moving his lips.

ditto.......same applies to detailers

You can change schools up until you start class. Once the AF locks in the tuition at whatever school you choose, then that amount of $$$ becomes the issue if you want to transfer.

Sure wish I had that extra BAH in that $592.50 paycheck I get every 2 weeks. :idea:

what, recruiters lie, i had no idea! shame on the government! :laugh:

but honestly, i wouldnt have gone HPSP unless i assumed the worst about what i was getting into... i still think the good outweighs the bad but i'm not on active duty yet like some of you guys ;)

oh well i think i can get by on the stipend even if i went to boston and the living expenses drained it completely. thanks for the advice.