HPSP Applicant- General Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ_Doc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello All,

I am applying for the Army 4 year HPSP. I have everything in with my recruiter and sent in my app but it is very close to the last board meeting so I can't be guaranteed to be put into the applicant pool this cycle. I wanted to see if anyone has information about (current) 3-year hpsp competitiveness (if I miss the deadline for 4-year)? I started the process late so I only applied to the 4-year Army hpsp because I missed the Airforce and Navy. I have a 3.6 and 22 DAT with good volunteering/leadership experience.

My dilemma is that I am accepted to Temple and penn dental class of 2025 so ideally I am selected for the hpsp and can serve but if not, I would choose temple for the financial difference. I have seen on sdn that the 3-year scholarships are more competitive but I think I am still a good candidate for the 3 year if I don't make the deadline for the 4-year this cycle. Thanks anyone with info.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you seem to be a pretty competitive applicant. I had similar stats (3.5GPA and 23DAT) and I was accepted into the 4 year Army. I think you have a good shot at receiving either scholarship, the 4 year is questionable really due to being late to the game. I don't see any reason you would not have a great shot at getting the 3 year scholarship.

In terms of which school to choose, I guess if the cost difference is really that significant, you can try to hold a spot at both until you find out. Otherwise, just pick the school/location where you can see yourself for 4 years (assuming the cost isn't too different).
I did the latter option. I was offered seats at a few schools on Dec 1st, but I didn't find out about HPSP until the middle of February. Regardless of not knowing about the scholarship, I choose the school that was my favorite program/location even though it was quite a bit more expensive than some of the other schools. I did roll the dice a little bit, but I am very happy with my decision.

How many board meetings are there? I was under the impression from my recruiters that there was only one meeting in January.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you seem to be a pretty competitive applicant. I had similar stats (3.5GPA and 23DAT) and I was accepted into the 4 year Army. I think you have a good shot at receiving either scholarship, the 4 year is questionable really due to being late to the game. I don't see any reason you would not have a great shot at getting the 3 year scholarship.

In terms of which school to choose, I guess if the cost difference is really that significant, you can try to hold a spot at both until you find out. Otherwise, just pick the school/location where you can see yourself for 4 years (assuming the cost isn't too different).
I did the latter option. I was offered seats at a few schools on Dec 1st, but I didn't find out about HPSP until the middle of February. Regardless of not knowing about the scholarship, I choose the school that was my favorite program/location even though it was quite a bit more expensive than some of the other schools. I did roll the dice a little bit, but I am very happy with my decision.
Thanks for the info! I am in a similar position, I put my deposit down for temple and have a few more days for PENN but I really won’t know about the HPSP for awhile or even if I make the deadline. They are pretty similar schools and even in the same city so it’s a hard decision but I will most likely have to make it without knowing about my HPSP status. I will definitely think a bit harder about where I see myself at.

Reactions: 1 user
How many board meetings are there? I was under the impression from my recruiters that there was only one meeting in January.
I believe my recruiter said there was two but not too sure the accuracy of that.

I believe there is only one board meeting. I also was under the impression it had already passed. Not sure, recruiter could have been miss-informed / didn't want to process the rest of my application because i am on the waitlist.

In terms of the 3-year, I was told by another recruiter there will be 10 3-year scholarships for Fiscal year 2021. (Army)

This is definitely a late reply, but my understanding is that there are actually two boards for BOTH Army and Navy for the class of 2025. I think Navy originally has one but they added another due to the pandemic (this is straight from my recruiter, who may also be wrong obvi). It's a lot of work for them too, so if she lied, she literally made more work for herself.

An example timeline:
December 15th: Deadline for HPSP Application
January: First Board convenes on applications submitted.
February: Scholarships from first round released.

January 15th: ALSO technically a deadline for the HPSP Application
February: Second board convenes on remaining applications as well as new ones.
March: Scholarships from second round released.

From other posts on SDN and my own recruiter, the first round offers a majority of the total available scholarships, but if your stats are good you're still competitive for the second round.

Re-applying for either Army or AF in subsequent years is definitely something to keep in mind in your situation, and I have no reason to believe that you wouldn't be competitive for the following year. It appears as though the number of scholarships offered largely depends on the budget, but it's definitely not as many as the 4-year. (I've heard anywhere from 5-20)

I am actually in the exact same position as you (future Penn student, 3.8 GPA, 25 AA), except for the Navy HPSP! I definitely believe we are competitive applicants for the 4-year, and especially the 3-year. Fingers crossed for both of us. :)