HPSP branch question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sarasota

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering applying for the HPSP. At first I was leaning towards the Navy because of the locations of bases/hospitals/deployments. However, I would also consider the Army. I know it might change, but I am leaning towards being an OB/GYN. I would also be interested in becoming an ER physician, a pediatrician, or just general family medicine. Does anyone know how likely a GMO tour would be before residency in the Navy as an OB/GYN? I heard somewhere that OB/GYNs were more likely to go to residency first because of the specialty. I'm not opposed to a GMO tour, but I also don't know a whole lot about them for the Navy. Basically, any opinions/advice would help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am strongly considering applying for the HPSP. At first I was leaning towards the Navy because of the locations of bases/hospitals/deployments. However, I would also consider the Army. I know it might change, but I am leaning towards being an OB/GYN. I would also be interested in becoming an ER physician, a pediatrician, or just general family medicine. Does anyone know how likely a GMO tour would be before residency in the Navy as an OB/GYN? I heard somewhere that OB/GYNs were more likely to go to residency first because of the specialty. I'm not opposed to a GMO tour, but I also don't know a whole lot about them for the Navy. Basically, any opinions/advice would help. Thanks!

Your chances at straight-through training overall are better in the Army than the Navy.

In the Navy, OBs have a much better chance at straight-through training than do other surgical specialties. That isn't a guarantee, of course. FP is also more likely to go straight through than are interns seeking EM residencies. Peds seems to get mostly straight-through training, at least more commonly than EM or non-OB surgery specialties.

GMO is fairly certain for Ortho, Urology, General Surgery, Ophtho, ENT, Radiology, Plastic Surgery, and Anesthesia. There are always exceptions, but this is generally the way things go.

Psych seems to get straight-through training. Can't say about pathology.

I applied for the Navy scholarship, but haven't got the official acceptance yet. If I do, I am still not sure I will take it. I am concerned about not being able to find a residency that matches my interests versus the interests of the military. Though it is likely to change, I am currently interested in pediatric oncology and can't see that I would likely get a residency match in the military. Does anyone know how likely it is to be granted a civilian residency before payback? Thanks for any input.

I applied for the Navy scholarship, but haven't got the official acceptance yet. If I do, I am still not sure I will take it. I am concerned about not being able to find a residency that matches my interests versus the interests of the military. Though it is likely to change, I am currently interested in pediatric oncology and can't see that I would likely get a residency match in the military. Does anyone know how likely it is to be granted a civilian residency before payback? Thanks for any input.

Do you understand how you become a pediatric heme/onc doc?