HPSP - How can I train for it if I'm terribly unfit? What are the physical exam requirements for each branch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fefnep

Reaction score
Hello!

So I'm currently applying for this cycle and trying to apply for the HPSP scholarship and I'm terribly concerned about being able to pass the physical exam. I'm a "scrawny and weak" type 5'7 140lb female. PE was always my worst nightmare and I know I have prepare hard for this !!! Would anyone be able to share their experience in their physical and how they prepared for it?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

The physical fitness test wouldn't be until 4-5 years from now for you. That's enough time to get into amazing shape, get out of shape, and get back into shape again before ever taking the test...

Being light weight and toned typically offers the best success

Reactions: 1 user
The fitness test for the Army is changing to the ACFT. It is a shift away from push-ups, sit-ups, and running, toward functional fitness. Check out things like orange theory, crossfit, F45, or just about any college rec center is offering a similar program.

They incorporate strength and cardio and would give you a great foundation.

Be active, do a couple pushups everyday, begin light jogging, google couch to 5k. getting into shape should be 1000x easier than completing dental school assuming you have no disabilities.

Most people in the military are in terrible shape, but eek out the requirements semi-annually. I would not stress too hard. The Fitness Standards are posted online, so you know exactly what you have to do.

Reactions: 1 user