HPSP in conjunction w/ full ride scholarship from school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocketfrog03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the STA-21 Program for medicine and have to choose either HPSP or USUHS when I graduate. I am going to a civilian school so I will be going with HPSP.

My question is, if the medical school I'm going to attend is giving me a full ride scholarship, will the military still pay the school the full tuition? I'm asking so I can figure out if that money will in turn be handed over to me by the school in the form of a large check.

Since I'm obligated to do either HPSP or USUHS (and thus serve the obligated years), I don't see how it's fair if the military doesn't pay the tuition just because my scholastic achievements earned a full ride scholarship. Anyone have any insight?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the STA-21 Program for medicine and have to choose either HPSP or USUHS when I graduate. I am going to a civilian school so I will be going with HPSP.

My question is, if the medical school I'm going to attend is giving me a full ride scholarship, will the military still pay the school the full tuition? I'm asking so I can figure out if that money will in turn be handed over to me by the school in the form of a large check.

Since I'm obligated to do either HPSP or USUHS (and thus serve the obligated years), I don't see how it's fair if the military doesn't pay the tuition just because my scholastic achievements earned a full ride scholarship. Anyone have any insight?

Take your full-ride (should you get one) and run with it. You should have financial aid squared away around the time that you need to sign your contract for HPSP, so you won't be stuck should you get a full ride.

You will not get a fat check for the amount of tuition if you are receiving HPSP and a full scholarship. You would be receiving a pretty raw deal if you accepted both because you would have no added "benefit" for taking HPSP other than service time which you could do post residency without having committed up front.

The OP is STA-21 meaning he's already obligated to the military.

I've never heard of someone getting a "full ride" from a medical school, I'm sure it's happened, but I'm just out of the loop on that one.

Members don't see this ad :)

I've never heard of someone getting a "full ride" from a medical school, I'm sure it's happened, but I'm just out of the loop on that one.

Yes, I am already obligated to HPSP so there is no choosing involved. Like the second poster addressed, there is no incentive for me to be in HPSP since I'd be on a full ride but I have no choice, I'm already locked in. I just want to know if the Navy will still pay my already paid tuition. (clarification: I don't have a full ride but the guy in the same program ahead of me does and is in this exact situation. I'm asking in the case I get a full ride as well)

Yes, I am already obligated to HPSP so there is no choosing involved. Like the second poster addressed, there is no incentive for me to be in HPSP since I'd be on a full ride but I have no choice, I'm already locked in. I just want to know if the Navy will still pay my already paid tuition. (clarification: I don't have a full ride but the guy in the same program ahead of me does and is in this exact situation. I'm asking in the case I get a full ride as well)

I think your only option would be if the school were to somehow give you the money directly. I doubt they would give you any tuition money, but they might give you any money they had set aside for the room and board portion of the full ride. The only money you get directly form the Navy is the stipend and reimbursements.

Ah ok, I was not familiar with the STA-21 program. Unless the school cashes out some of the money directly to you as another poster mentioned. You won't get tuition because that money would never touch your hands anyways. My school is pretty wise in that they know what money you're getting and wouldn't issue COL if you already had another source. Maybe it's not like that everywhere. I really don't know.

Actually, there are a lot of schools handing out full-ride scholarships. For example, my school was handing out 50% of the previous class and now 33% of my class full-ride scholarships. By full-ride being full tuition...

Because of the way HPSP is set up... you wouldn't be able to "cash-in" any scholarship money from what I understand.

I know that the poster tried to switch to HSCP but could not because of technicalities... but HSCP would be one way to cash-in, or the now gone... National Guard way...

I didn't get the full-ride scholarship, but I know "cashing in" is possible because I got a Much smaller scholarship.

Thanks for all the replies all.

I did try to switch to HSCP ... unsuccessfully. I'm applying next summer and I'm afraid I might get a full ride scholarships b/c then that will mean that I am giving the Navy four years of my life (from HPSP) unnecessarily b/c my tuition will already be paid for.

I'd feel like a big idiot if I was on a full ride tuition but was locked into a 4 year HPSP contract that didn't end up paying a dime to my school b/c it was all already paid for by my scholastic achievements. It'd be like giving the Navy four years of my life for a measly monthly stipend. I actually hope I don't get offered any scholarships so that I won't feel like I'm getting jipped.

I just don't understand why the Navy won't let me use the HSCP program, it costs the Navy roughly the same amount of money either way. Oh well, that's the military.