HPSP pre-accredited optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugu117

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone
I will be applying to optomtry school and hopefully taking the HPSP.
If I attend RSO, Western, MCPHS or any other pre-accredited(preliminary) optometry school, am I able to obtain the HPSP military scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, everyone
If I attend RSO, Western, MCPHS or any other pre-accredited(preliminary) optometry school, am I able to obtain the HPSP military scholarship?
My guess is that it would greatly decrease your odds.

HPSP scholarships are very competitive and historically are biased towards the well-established (especially state) schools. They may just flat out deny all applications from an unaccredited program when there are plenty of good candidates from the others.

A large percentage of students at the new schools are the bottom of the barrel that couldn't/shouldn't get in anywhere else. You'll be lumped in with them, even if you don't deserve it.

Last edited:
Hello, everyone
Yes, you would. We have a student at Western currently on a 3yr HPSP. I agree with optsuker though in that coming from a new program, you would probably be a less competitive applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
At SUNY they had luncheons from all the branches Air Force, Navy, Army. Nobody that I know of in my year signed up.

Hello, everyone

While I can not presume to speak for those who sit on the selection board, or their feelings as posted above, I can say that the CURRENT Department of Defense Instruction 6000.13 is pretty clear about this:

E2.1.1. Accredited Institution. A college, university, or institution, located in the United States or Puerto Rico, and accredited by an accrediting agency or association under the U.S. Secretary of Education. Included are those institutions that are in the process of seeking accreditation and currently have provisional or conditional accreditation, or candidacy status for accreditation, based solely on the newness of the institution. (Independent allied health science schools, not affiliated with a college or university and not accredited, are required to submit to the ASD(HA) appropriate documentation from the recognized body to demonstrate that the lack of accreditation is based on circumstances beyond the school’s control and in no way implies a deficiency in the academic program.)

Based on this instruction the Army has already accepted students in other disciplines in your situation based on this guidance.

Hello, everyone

it shouldnt matter, there are several recipients from the newer schools...I know for sure there are some from incarnate word, and arizona

Hello, everyone

HPSP selection is EXTREMELY limited in the last few years they were accepting applicants for Army ( 12 ) Navy ( 9 ) Air Force ( 6 ) approx. Almost always 3yrs service for 3yrs tuition and stipend or 3yrs service for 2 yrs tuition and stipend.

Now that the DOD is forced into cutting their budget dramatically, I would guess those numbers might decrease or at least remain the same 25-30 spots annually from about 450 applicants...thats pretty competitive and anything that makes you more or less desirable is very significant...its a great way to go but you should not count on getting one no matter what school your going to, the odds are not with you. But definitely worth pursuing..good luck !!