HPSP pre-Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a couple questsions I would like answered before I start this process. I want to do HPSP no doubt. I like both the Navy and AF, but compromise with my fiancee determined I try to get AF and accept it :D However, I don't wanna be left with nothing after the process ends.

What can I do to maximize my chances of getting Air Force? My GPA will be somewhere between 3.3x-3.4x. I'm pretty confident I'll get into a DO school somewhere, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If I apply to both, how should I work it? I am under the impression that the Navy's board meets well before the AF, so if you are selected you must accept it before the AF meets. Is this true?

Also, about when should I contact both recruiters? I have already spoken with the Navy, but haven't made contact with the AF. I am guessing around August?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying to med schools this upcoming year, then you can start contacting the recruiters in August. That would be plenty of time. The recruiters will be able to tell you when their respective boards meet, so that should help you out. As far as I know, you can decline the scholarship at any point until you sign your paperwork. When I was applying, I told the Navy recruiter I was applying to Air Force as well, and they were fine with that. He knew that if I got the Navy scholarship, that I was going to wait and find out if I also got the AF scholarship before I decided which branch to ultimately join. I actually ended up not completing my Navy application b/c I didn't want to be stuck on an air craft carrier for 6 months away from my husband. At least if I am on land somewhere, my husband can be reasonably close.

Ways to help your application-----good GPA, good MCAT, and good letters of recommendation. If you can get a letter from someone who is currently in the military, they would love that. My brother is in the Army and has been for 10 years, and I know a lot of his buddies, so getting a letter was very easy for me. Be sure to put time into your application, and have other people read it over as well.....just like you would your application to med school.

I hope this helped a little. Best of luck.