HPSP Process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack_Adam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to apply for the HPSP, but I am not sure how the overall application process works. I am currently applying for Fall 2005 admission. Am I supposed to wait until I am accepted at the medical school of my choice before applying for the HPS? Should I have already had my physical completed (if it's even necessary)? If so, how do I go about doing this? What are the determining factors for awarding the HPS to students? Lastly, which branch of service provides the best structure and residency options? Thanks to anyone who posts a reply. Any info helps and is greatly appreciated.

:)

Members don't see this ad.

Jack:

First of all welcome to the Military Forum and SDN!

Many of your questions may have been asked and answered previously, so I would encourage you to use the search function. Some people won't even bother responding if they know a topic has been covered previously.

All that said, the first step in obtaining an HPSP scholarship is contacting the medical programs recruiter of the branch or branches you are interested in applying to. You don't have to have an acceptance, I don't believe, to atleast start the process. There is much to do including physical, security clearance (BIG questionaire), statment of motivation, interview, etc.

There are several threads on this forum that discuss the merits and drawbacks of each of the services as well as opinions on the state and future of military medicine in general. I would say it would be worth your time to look around a little bit before taking the leap.

There are a lot of people here willing to answer any questions you may have, but it's better to ask questions directly, like "Which service has more GME1 spots for family practice?" than "Who has the coolest hats, and which one would fit my head better?" See what I mean?

Again, welcome aboard!

Spang