Army HPSP program Updates and adice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicalmods

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading the HPSP forums and the army medical side of SDN for a little bit. I just had some questions because a lot of the posts are fairly out dated so I was wondering if anything changed. I am currently in the process of applying but i am wondering if i should cancel my application.
- are there have been any changes in the military system other than the extra money they give out now to make it better?
- Do people still get deployed overseas?
- how much freedom do i have where i live and work after my residency?
-assuming my residency is 4 years and i only took the scholarship for 4 years. do i really have only 4 years of service and im done(assuming no war and such)? and what goes into those 4 years? I would just like a little more information on things the recruiter has no told me about.
- I have no problem with serving my country but i do wish to start my life and the sooner the better. and maybe the HPSP program might not be for me.

Thanks for the help. Would really appreciate answers from anyone that has experience. and if youd like to link to other threads where some of this has been answered that is ok too.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I have been reading the HPSP forums and the army medical side of SDN for a little bit. I just had some questions because a lot of the posts are fairly out dated so I was wondering if anything changed. I am currently in the process of applying but i am wondering if i should cancel my application.

These are all big picture type questions and the answers have not changed. But I will give you answers anyway and recommend you continue to read for more details that are readily available on this site.

- are there have been any changes in the military system other than the extra money they give out now to make it better?

Nope

- Do people still get deployed overseas?

Yup

- how much freedom do i have where i live and work after my residency?

Not much. You'll get told what is available and you'll say what you want of those. Maybe you'll get it, but maybe you won't.

-assuming my residency is 4 years and i only took the scholarship for 4 years. do i really have only 4 years of service and im done(assuming no war and such)? and what goes into those 4 years? I would just like a little more information on things the recruiter has no told me about.

Yup

- I have no problem with serving my country but i do wish to start my life and the sooner the better. and maybe the HPSP program might not be for me.

If you aren't sure it is for you, then it probably isn't. But the reality is this: free school, better pay during residency, lower pay for your first job out of residency. Chances are it is a financial wash for most people. Yes, you could deploy. Yes, you may live somewhere not awesome. In general the issues come up for people who don't get to train straight through, but this is less of a problem for the Army. Other issues are for people who want fellowships as it complicates things and extends time in service. If you just look at it as trading free school for your first four year job after residency then it isn't a bad way to go for most people.

Thanks for the help. Would really appreciate answers from anyone that has experience. and if youd like to link to other threads where some of this has been answered that is ok too.

Now we have to do DCC + BOLC.

***THIS MEANS YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY TIME IN THE SUMMER TO STUDY FOR BOARDS IF YOU SIGN UP FOR HPSP***

Members don't see this ad :)
Now we have to do DCC + BOLC.

***THIS MEANS YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY TIME IN THE SUMMER TO STUDY FOR BOARDS IF YOU SIGN UP FOR HPSP***
If you do DCC and BOLC after MS1 that is not a concern.

However, you are correct that the extra time for DCC will cut into your summer vacation after MS1, or you will burn vacation time between MS3 and 4.

If you do DCC and BOLC after MS1 that is not a concern.

However, you are correct that the extra time for DCC will cut into your summer vacation after MS1, or you will burn vacation time between MS3 and 4.

Regrettably with DCC being 1 mo and BOLC being 6 weeks they're requiring that we do DCC after MS1 and BOLC after MS2 so that we don't lose out on ADT rotations or have to start residency a month or two late. Not quite enough summer to eek in both in a single go

Regrettably with DCC being 1 mo and BOLC being 6 weeks they're requiring that we do DCC after MS1 and BOLC after MS2 so that we don't lose out on ADT rotations or have to start residency a month or two late. Not quite enough summer to eek in both in a single go
Are you absolutely sure about this? Is there a regulation that has been released to detail this? I don't know how you could attend BOLC after MS2 because you will finish classes in May, take boards and potentially move in June, and begin rotations in July. Starting internship late is a no-go, that means you don't finish the ACGME requirements for promotion to the next residency year or be eligible for licensure if going GMO. It would basically make every military resident off-cycle, and for what? Seems more likely that you would go after MS3 year and simply forfeit all of your vacation time.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Is there a regulation that has been released to detail this? I don't know how you could attend BOLC after MS2 because you will finish classes in May, take boards and potentially move in June, and begin rotations in July. Starting internship late is a no-go, that means you don't finish the ACGME requirements for promotion to the next residency year or be eligible for licensure if going GMO. It would basically make every military resident off-cycle, and for what? Seems more likely that you would go after MS3 year and simply forfeit all of your vacation time.

Let me try to dig up the e-mail, but yes it said this in no uncertain terms... We have been advised that we need to take boards *immediately* after end of M2 and before BOLC begins (2-3 day gap).

Some students have elected to take boards during BOLC... and ended up having to leave to *take their boards* at 2AM to make it to the testing site d/t not getting the preceding day off.

Woah, that's bad. It also doesn't take into account that more and more medical schools are turning to atypical training formats (e.g. not wasting a full two years on preclinical schoolhouse).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woah, that's bad. It also doesn't take into account that more and more medical schools are turning to atypical training formats (e.g. not wasting a full two years on preclinical schoolhouse).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. With this change cannot recommend HPSP unless you *really* want to serve. For me personally, still a good deal and glad I took the scholarship; but definitely something to know for those who are considering.

As far as I know, if you choose Navy or USAF, the summer after M2 will be protected to study for boards... which makes sense, right?

Last edited:
Let me try to dig up the e-mail, but yes it said this in no uncertain terms... We have been advised that we need to take boards *immediately* after end of M2 and before BOLC begins (2-3 day gap).

Some students have elected to take boards during BOLC... and ended up having to leave to *take their boards* at 2AM to make it to the testing site d/t not getting the preceding day off.
My word, that is ridiculous. And if you are not able to schedule your boards in that 2-3 day gap you take it at BOLC? Yikes.

Actually, I took step 2 at BOLC but I still wouldn't recommend that be the SOP.

So you are in BOLC for June and then report for rotations July 1?

My word, that is ridiculous. And if you are not able to schedule your boards in that 2-3 day gap you take it at BOLC? Yikes.

Actually, I took step 2 at BOLC but I still wouldn't recommend that be the SOP.

So you are in BOLC for June and then report for rotations July 1?

Sadly BOLC is 6 weeks...

You guys are taking this way too hard. Think of all the things you learned in BOLC that have really become staples of day-to-day life since then. I've spent so much time stripping rifles and doing land nav based upon a topographical map that it's almost second nature. I'm sure DCC is equally, or perhaps more useful and not just the DoD taking an enormous $#!t directly into your mouth. They wouldn't do that for no reason, right?

Honestly, the only thing I remember about BOLC was having to take a deuce so bad after the land nav course that I wasn't sure I was going to make it back. It was 99,000 degress with 120% humidity and I was turtle heading all the way to the plastic oven in which they kept all their sewage. Beyond that, I don't even really remember what the curriculum was. I haven't physically seen a topographical map (not on my phone) or an M-16 since I was there. And that was back when I wasn't anti-military medicine.

Reactions: 1 user