HPSP $$ Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc4sure

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
The HPSP regs say that they will pick up the tab for student heath insurance if the school requires it. :thumbup:
However, the pricing on these policies is all over the scale depending on what deductible you take, whether you include dental and vision-----
If I had a choice I'd take zero deduct and add dental, vision and anything else I could dream up that was legit.
I have a bad feeling that HPSP isn't going to fund the best policy, but more likely the cheapest.
Anyone have any experience with this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

No experience, but I would guess they will pay for the minimum required, not all of the "bells and whistles."

I've been surprised before though. I'd call someone in the know.

Oh yeah. Good question. Talk with the agent about this, and get her to lump everything together. As long as the price isn't too exorbitant (I pay 1100 a semester), nobody will raise an eyebrow. If the agent lists each thing separately, the army will only pay for medical.

Members don't see this ad :)
there is a cap on teh amount they will pay from wht i was told.

kedhegard, do they pay for your whole insurance and if they do, how did u manage that?

Yes, they pay for mine, but not my wife's. I don't know how I managed it, I know it is technically over their limit (which I believe is 800 dollars), but they have never said a word to me. I just send them the bill, and they reimburse me. Just like when they paid 175 for my stethoscope when the book says they'll only give you like 140. Hope they're not reading this!

Really, the best thing to do would be to ask other students at your school who are HPSP what amount they have been reimbursed. You have my figure of about 1100 dollars. Whatever you do, don't call your advisor and ask if they will reimburse over the amount listed, because they will want to know who told you they are reimbursed more!! I don't want to have to repay a bunch of money because somebody had been letting us all slide on our insurance amounts for a while. i know for sure I am not the only one who gets more than the alloted amount back, and it sure is nice.

Really, 800 dollars is not enough to get suitable insurance unless your school offers it through their own healthcare system. Mine does not.

One of the reasons why I preferred AF over Army was that AF told me they would pay all of my health insurance (least expensive policy), whereas Army would pay only $1000. At Tufts, the single rate insurance plan is $2,292, so that is a significant amount extra the AF will pay. So it seems to vary between branches... I have no idea about Navy though...

Well you air force guy lied to you technically. The Army pays for the least expensive medical policy provided by your school (if listed seperatly they do not cover the other aspects). If you decide not to use the school's policy (but they still require you have one) then their is a cap. I believe that cap is $1000-$1200. They will pay the entire amount if you purchase your school's policy.

texdrake said:
The Army pays for the least expensive medical policy provided by your school ....... They will pay the entire amount if you purchase your school's policy.

That wasn't what i was told. They told me there is a cap on whether you get the school policy ir not....interesting, i'll have to make sure of that. :)

texdrake said:
Well you air force guy lied to you technically. The Army pays for the least expensive medical policy provided by your school (if listed seperatly they do not cover the other aspects).

It was actually the Army recruiter who told me the Army would only pay $1000. He said people were trying to get that changed bc school policies in New England were typically over $1000. Maybe he was misinformed, which would be too bad for him, because that info helped push me toward Air Force!

Is there a way to come up with 12 months coverage combining your 45 day ADT coverage and school coverage? In other words, can we avoid gaps in coverage?
Another question--Were any of you required to send in your policy or did you just submit the reumbursement form?

As a full time student, you don't have gaps in coverage. We were covered under any policy that the school offered, no cap mentioned. For the marred guys/gals, take the single rate bill the military for that amount. Pay the difference.