HPSP question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ztaw15

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've read through the other HPSP threads, but I am wondering if anyone can help me with this. Is it possible to not do a residency after med school and payback your commitment as a GMO immediately, and just do residency after you get out? I know that this 'may' happen, but what I am wondering is if you can choose to do this, and if so how likely is it they will allow you to do this?

Members don't see this ad.

So does this mean that one still would do an internship year, then payback the commitment as a GMO? From what I read it seems like you could just do a transitional/preliminary year for internship, and then the DGME time would be calculated based on the residency you began training in after your GMO time, is this correct? Does the military have transitional/preliminary year internship programs?

Also, any pros and cons as far as doing a GMO stint goes?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
There are pros and cons to everything, but to answer your question, yes you can go directly into payback as I did. I have enjoyed my time as a flight surgeon in the Air Force. I've had plenty of good days and plenty of bad ones. I went straight into payback as a flight surgeon and am now completing my final year and have my number one choice of residency starting next year (which I probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise).

I did not do any PGY time in any other capacity so the other post is correct. Don't do a PG1 in surgery or IM or FP if your goal is to payback the HPSP and move on to the residency of your choice.

I have been to a few different countries, done a short humanitarian mission and flown on a few different aircraft (no I don't pretend to be a pilot like some others). I would recommend calling your nearest miltary treatment facility and speaking with as many GMO/flight surgeons you can to see if it's something for you. If you don't like what you hear or aren't willing to put up with some cons for the pros, then don't do it.

There is a lot of good information here and I respect eneryones opinions, but you are more likely to find negativity here. Most happy people don't look for a place to vent. It's a great forum to start with, but speak with others like I mentioned above as well.

Do your homework is the best advice and good luck to you.

Last edited:
So I guess my only question would be, do I have to do a preliminary/transitional year, or would I go straight from medical school to working as a GMO? And can I choose to do time as a GMO or go into a preliminary/transitional year? I don't want to get forced into doing a military residency.

So does this mean that one still would do an internship year, then payback the commitment as a GMO?
Yes.
From what I read it seems like you could just do a transitional/preliminary year for internship, and then the DGME time would be calculated based on the residency you began training in after your GMO time, is this correct?
No, your DGME time begins with internship. This is the reason that IgD pointed you to the other thread. Internship prior to a GMO tour is not a "freebie" of some kind. If you do an internship year in one field and change your mind during your GMO tour, it's the equivalent of doing an internship as a civilian and changing your mind and starting a new residency, in terms of future funding.
So I guess my only question would be, do I have to do a preliminary/transitional year, or would I go straight from medical school to working as a GMO?
You must (thank God) finish an internship prior to being able to fully practice medicine as a physician. Without an internship, you have an MD to put after your name but are functionally not a physician. You can not work as a GMO without doing at least an internship.
And can I choose to do time as a GMO or go into a preliminary/transitional year? I don't want to get forced into doing a military residency.
You won't be forced into a residency you don't want. Worst case scenario, you will be denied the ability to complete your medical training up until you've paid back your time owed, at which point you can leave the service.

I would really think about this before making this leap. I, along with most of the GMO's in my clinic, have found the flight surgeon thing to be a complete waste of time. It's mind numbingly boring (the medical part), flying on airplanes sounds cool, but is also pretty boring as well. You deploy a ton--I've been gone 9 of the last 20 months.
If I were 21, just entering medical school, and had to do it all over again, I'd take out the 200K in loans and not have the military obligation. That's not everybody's opinion, but the majority of my buddies would agree.