HPSP Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

me..

Reaction score
Hello, I'm a first year medical student interested in HPSP 3 year scholarship for Airforce but also considering Army. I'm interested in anesthesiology or Radiology.
1. One of my biggest concerns is matching, I know AF has a lot of people do civilian residencies. I saw AF has about 10 Anesthesiology spots and similar for DR. Its a low number but I was wondering how many typically apply for those spots. For instance, 15 apps for 10 spots is a lot better that 40 apps. Also does anyone know how different it is for the Army. I know they have more spots but do they have proportionally more applicants or much less apps per spot? Anyone have that data to compare?
2. Since I would do 3 year scholarship, if I do 4 or 5 year residency would I have to serve extra years on top of three? Also lets say I had to do a 2 year GMO then do residency. Would those 2 GMO years make me owe 5 total after residency or would I only owe 1 or just still 3?
3. If I had to do an intern year in the military and reapply, assuming I do okay, would this significantly/almost guarantee me a residency spot for the next year?
4. I know I'll probably get deployed and have to move somewhere. If I get deployed and have a wife would she be able to move with me? or does this all depend? would it be common/rare to have to separate? Would this be more common in the army?
5. Any other general advice about this and my path? Any general advice on whether I should do AF or Army?
Thanks so much for yalls time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm a first year medical student interested in HPSP 3 year scholarship for Airforce but also considering Army. I'm interested in anesthesiology or Radiology.
1. One of my biggest concerns is matching, I know AF has a lot of people do civilian residencies. I saw AF has about 10 Anesthesiology spots and similar for DR. Its a low number but I was wondering how many typically apply for those spots. For instance, 15 apps for 10 spots is a lot better that 40 apps. Also does anyone know how different it is for the Army. I know they have more spots but do they have proportionally more applicants or much less apps per spot? Anyone have that data to compare?
2. Since I would do 3 year scholarship, if I do 4 or 5 year residency would I have to serve extra years on top of three? Also lets say I had to do a 2 year GMO then do residency. Would those 2 GMO years make me owe 5 total after residency or would I only owe 1 or just still 3?
3. If I had to do an intern year in the military and reapply, assuming I do okay, would this significantly/almost guarantee me a residency spot for the next year?
4. I know I'll probably get deployed and have to move somewhere. If I get deployed and have a wife would she be able to move with me? or does this all depend? would it be common/rare to have to separate? Would this be more common in the army?
5. Any other general advice about this and my path? Any general advice on whether I should do AF or Army?
Thanks so much for yalls time!
1. At least right now it’s probably not going to be harder to match anesthesia or radiology in the Air Force than it is as a civilian. That could change in the next four years or you could change your mind about specialty.
2. Yes you would serve more than three years unless you did a three year residency. So if you do Radiology for example it would be four years after residency. Anesthesia would be three after residency.
3. No.
4. Deployment is something you do without dependents. Usually less than a year. Your wife would stay where you deployed from. Think of deployment as the “going to war” part of the military. (Though it’s not always war per se it’s the military business that they don’t take families to) Permanent change of station (PCS) is when the military actually moves you. Usually you take your family then with some expectations for austere environments. So if they move you to Korea for example you would take your family but you deploy to Djibouti you don’t.
5. I’m Navy but between the two I would do Air Force.