HPSP/Residencies...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A1cfox21

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in the military and am about to get out to finish my BA, so no need for any warnings on the military. Just had some questions regarding HPSP and residencies. I'm planning on joining the FL ANG for some extra educ bennies. If I do the HPSP, will any remaining commitment for the ANG be added to the HPSP commitment? I'm anticipating going to a DO school more than likely. Is it accepted/allowed to use OMM in the military? I'm set on doing FP (which I know can change at some point). Is it possible/likely to get a deferment for FP in the USAF? I'm also interested in doing a sports medicine fellowship. Is it possible to defer for a 4th yr for a fellowship? Or would I have to do a military one, if there are any? OR, would I have to wait until I finish my commitment to try and get into a fellowship? My ideal situation would have me either do my FP residency at Eglin or defer for a residency in FL somewhere, then do a sports med fellowship, then head to Germany or England for the rest of my comittment. I'd probably continue in the ANG or AF Reserves to finish my career. Thanks for the help/input.

Members don't see this ad.

A1cfox21 said:
Is it accepted/allowed to use OMM in the military? I'm set on doing FP (which I know can change at some point).
Yes, though due to time constraints many DOs I know don't do it. I know of one FP DO who had appointments scheduled for some of his patients to get OMM, but he was the exception not the rule. Many pilots and flight crews like DOs for the OMM because they get some relief with meds.
Is it possible/likely to get a deferment for FP in the USAF? I'm also interested in doing a sports medicine fellowship. Is it possible to defer for a 4th yr for a fellowship? Or would I have to do a military one, if there are any?
I can't tell you anything about the USAF (I'm Army) but I believe that FP is one of the few residencies that the AF isn't outsourcing (ie. the AF trains their own FPs). There is a sports medicine fellowship offered at USUHS. I thought of going that route also, but life took me in a different direction.
My ideal situation would have me either do my FP residency at Eglin or defer for a residency in FL somewhere, then do a sports med fellowship, then head to Germany or England for the rest of my comittment.
Yeah, that would be ideal. Just remember that the needs of the military outweigh your personal desires (I know you know this, being in the military already).

Good luck.

A1cfox21 said:
I'm currently in the military and am about to get out to finish my BA, so no need for any warnings on the military. Just had some questions regarding HPSP and residencies. I'm planning on joining the FL ANG for some extra educ bennies. If I do the HPSP, will any remaining commitment for the ANG be added to the HPSP commitment? I'm anticipating going to a DO school more than likely. Is it accepted/allowed to use OMM in the military? I'm set on doing FP (which I know can change at some point). Is it possible/likely to get a deferment for FP in the USAF? I'm also interested in doing a sports medicine fellowship. Is it possible to defer for a 4th yr for a fellowship? Or would I have to do a military one, if there are any? OR, would I have to wait until I finish my commitment to try and get into a fellowship? My ideal situation would have me either do my FP residency at Eglin or defer for a residency in FL somewhere, then do a sports med fellowship, then head to Germany or England for the rest of my comittment. I'd probably continue in the ANG or AF Reserves to finish my career. Thanks for the help/input.

I'm a formeer AF 4N0 now MSIII at AZCOM. Feel free to pm me if you have any q's.

Members don't see this ad :)
st0rmin said:
Yes, though due to time constraints many DOs I know don't do it. I know of one FP DO who had appointments scheduled for some of his patients to get OMM, but he was the exception not the rule. Many pilots and flight crews like DOs for the OMM because they get some relief with meds.

I can't tell you anything about the USAF (I'm Army) but I believe that FP is one of the few residencies that the AF isn't outsourcing (ie. the AF trains their own FPs). There is a sports medicine fellowship offered at USUHS. I thought of going that route also, but life took me in a different direction.

Yeah, that would be ideal. Just remember that the needs of the military outweigh your personal desires (I know you know this, being in the military already).

Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I would think OMM could be pretty popular. If what you say is true, FS may have plenty of oportunities to practice OMM. Cool. Can anyone else comment on Civilian deferments for AF FP's? I know very well about the needs of the AF. Been to AK, MS, UT, and good 'ol Iraq... Good times.

Any remaining ADSO (active duty service obligation) that you have remaining will be added onto the obligation you incur from HPSP and/or residency (but since you are planning on FP, this wouldn't affect you).