HPSP scholarship question and waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PhoenixFire24

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on applying for air force and army HPSP program during the 2016 and 2017 school cycle if I get into medical school. I had a brief episode of depression for five months in 2014 and was treated briefly with medication. I haven't had any problems since that time. I have been seen all kinds of research stating that they won't give any waivers for a history of depression due to the strictness and downsizing of the military. Is this true? Or is a waiver possible, especially if I have medical documentation stating that I have not had any depression in over a year by my MD?
 
Separation due to psych reasons is one of the more common ways folks exit the military early these days. It can be hard to say it's worth the risk when there are plenty of applicants without this baggage. Doesn't look good for you.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't approve a waiver. It's nothing personal but I know it won't feel that way. My guess is that this will be tough to overcome without a deliberate lie. I don't make decisions and you lose nothing by asking.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on applying for air force and army HPSP program during the 2016 and 2017 school cycle if I get into medical school. I had a brief episode of depression for five months in 2014 and was treated briefly with medication. I haven't had any problems since that time. I have been seen all kinds of research stating that they won't give any waivers for a history of depression due to the strictness and downsizing of the military. Is this true? Or is a waiver possible, especially if I have medical documentation stating that I have not had any depression in over a year by my MD?

Unfortunately right now Uncle Sam has no shortage of people wanting to join including med students. A history of depression with meds is usually PDQ. Most med recruiters will not even try for a waiver especially not right now. I don't mean to sound rude, but if you had a bought of depression previously, try and put yourself into the shoes of a physician in the military. You are in some rat's ass end of the world doing a job you do not enjoy with no friends or family near. Even the most emotionally stable and toughest people crack in those conditions.

It is nothing personal, it's just what Uncle Sam wants, not what you want.

Trust me, it sucks. I have been dropping weight for over a year now and still can't make tape to join. I have been fighting the last 10 pounds for months now and I am just an inch of fat away in the waist to make the tape. Guess what? Uncle Sam doesn't care. I am not a fit for them right now. So I keep working at it.
 
I wouldn't approve a waiver. It's nothing personal but I know it won't feel that way. My guess is that this will be tough to overcome without a deliberate lie. I don't make decisions and you lose nothing by asking.

I definitely don't have any interest in lying about it. I would never want to chance a dishonorable discharge no matter how much I have been interested in serving.
 
Take the loan and laugh your way to the bank when your fellow HPSP colleagues in 7-10 years are stuck in some rat hole for 9-15 months while being underpaid by 100-150K a year.