HPSP scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerstar22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying to optometry school to enter in the fall of 2008, and have been researching the possibility of taking a scholarship from either the Navy or the Air Force. I've talked to recruiters in each field and an OD in the Navy to try and get a feel for each. Problem is that I am getting some contradicting information that I was hoping someone would be able to clear up. If anyone on this post in currently, or has been in the past, a participant in the HPSP scholarships I could use some unbiased info. For instance:
1) do Naval optometrists go on ships?

2) Do Naval optometrists spend anytime as GMO's?

3) How does the standard of living in the Navy compare to that of the Air Force?

I've gotten answers to each of these questions from both the Air Force and the Navy, but each answer has been disputed by the other. Thanks alot for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Do Naval optometrists go on ships?

Yes. Carriers for example.

2) Do Naval optometrists spend anytime as GMO's?

No, GMO is short for general medical officer (physician) in the military. As an optometrist you will be a primary eye care provider and part of the MSC (medical service corps). But if your question is: Could I be deployed? The answer is always yes.

3) How does the standard of living in the Navy compare to that of the Air Force?

The Air force is supposed to have nicer looking facilities; but I like the Navy…

Re-post your questions in the military formus for more opinions. :thumbup:

Well, as for standard of living for the Navy - you're more likely to be near the beach!!! :) Yeah that sucks for us Army guys...