Army HPSP Student Military Awards on Uniform

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frugopl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am getting my Class A/B uniform in order, and I'd like to double check what the average med student in HPSP after BOLC qualifies for. I got no NCO or other soldiers around to ask, so coming here. I went through the HRC website and combed AR600-8-22, and came up that I qualify for: Army Service Ribbon, Global War on Terror Medal. Anything else I should have? I have 45 days of active duty (BOLC), got comissioned over two years ago.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can also wear the National Defense Service Medal.
There has been discussion about this in the past, and the official word from the HPSP office is that any ADT time while in the HPSP doesn't count towards the 30 day requirement on active duty for the NDSM, as you aren't technically Regular Army, but still IRR. Personally, I think that's a ridiculous take on the award criteria, and think that you should just go ahead and wear all three. Pro tip is that you can easily fit three ribbons on a two ribbon slide, and fix it to please anyone who might not like you wearing the NDSM early.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to be on active duty for 90 days for the Global War on Terror.

You need to be on active duty for 90 days for the Global War on Terror.
They should award a star for it every 90 days. I'm not sure if that would make it more silly, or less silly.

The GWOTs are weird medals. Years ago I was able to "trade" my GWOT expeditionary medal for a campaign service medal.

Reactions: 1 user