All Branch Topic (ABT) HPSP/USUHS - problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdviceNeeded

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a US permanent resident interested in becoming a military doctor (army/navy/AF) , I would like to join ROTC for undergraduate and then HPSP/ USUHS for med school, but since I am not a US citizen I cant join ROTC and only hope I will be a citizen by the end of college so I can join HPSP/USUHS. But there are a few things I could not find an answer for, and hope you could help me out:
1. I was born in Israel, and as an Israeli citizen I cannot enter most Muslim countries. Will the army disqualify me for this? Since I cannot be deployed overseas in the Muslim countries? (I am okay with going but my place of birth and citizenship is forbidding me to/ I can't enter?)
2. I want to cancel my Israeli citizenship once I will be a US citizen, but the problem is that, in Israel Army is mandatory for every citizen/resident and I am running away from army (I have a warrant/arrest permission against me?) It says no criminal background to join US Army, is refusing to serve in a foreign army a crime? (I am confused..) so since there is a warrant against me I can't cancel my citizenship, will that hurt my security clearance?
3. Will GED and community college credits hurt my chances getting into med school and receiving hpsp? (or only undergraduate grades matter?)

Just to mention, I don't want to join army for the money, I would like to join army even if I won't receive the scholarship but since they offer a scholarship.. why not take it? :), I have lived in wars all my life, suffered missiles attacks so I am kind of used to wars/military lifestyle, I don't want to join Israeli army because I suffered in this country, and would like to serve in the US since it helped me so much.

Thank you, I will appreciate any help/advice given.

Members don't see this ad.

I would fulfill your obligation as an Israeli citizen first. Secondly you cannot be a dual citizen as a US military officer.

I would fulfill your obligation as an Israeli citizen first. Secondly you cannot be a dual citizen as a US military officer.
Thanks for the answer, I didn't know I can't be an officer with dual citizenship, but I can't join Israeli army since it is 2-3 years of service and I won't be able to leave the country I would lose my green card... I am going to doctors so I can get a medical release...

Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to doctors so I can get a medical release...

If you're medically unfit for service in the Israeli Army, why do you think you'd be fit for service in the U.S. Army?

Or if the "medical release" is a scam so you can dodge service in your home country, I'd be generally unwelcoming and distrusting of your commitment to our Army.

If you're medically unfit for service in the Israeli Army, why do you think you'd be fit for service in the U.S. Army?

Or if the "medical release" is a scam so you can dodge service in your home country, I'd be generally unwelcoming and distrusting of your commitment to our Army.

I don't have any medical problems, please don't judge me for this you don't know what I have been through..

Last edited:
We don't know what you've been through but we do know what happens to the rest of us when someone plays the system to avoid their obligations. We don't need any more of those.

I don't have any medical problems, please don't judge me for this you don't know what I have been through..
:shrug:

I'm not really interested in what you've been through, certainly not so long as you choose to be vague about it, and I'm not interested in welcoming you to the armed forces of my country when you're going to lie to evade obligated service to an allied country. (If you were fleeing North Korea I'd feel differently.)

It makes me question how reliable you'd be for us if the going got tough and you went through something difficult here, too.

You don't get to indignantly take the moral high ground here.

Reactions: 1 user
I am sorry to hear this, but that's okay I appreciate your honesty. Even if I wanted to serve in Israel's army I couldn't, because I would lose my permanent resident status and for me that means losing all my life :( please understand me...

I would check with a lawyer familiar with Israeli law on your ability to renounce citizenship and avoid your service obligation. A Navy PA I met once was born in Mandate Palestine, the territorial authority existing before the establishment of the State of Israel. He left Palestine as a small child. The Israeli government has a database of persons born before and after the establishment of the country (1948) and he was required to pay the citizen's exit tax when he was leaving the country, even though he had never lived in Palestine when the state existed, was a naturalized U.S. citizen traveling with a U.S. passport and did not consider himself an Israeli citizen; the government there did.