HPSP with Air Force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jwain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

First time posting and was hoping someone could give me some insight with the HPSP scholarship for the Air Force. What kind of specialities are most sought after by the Air Force? I’m interested in doing EM or IM. I’ve heard that the Air Force would have specific Residences/specialties to fill which means they could influence which speciality you actually go into? I’m just trying to get an understanding of what life is like after medicial school with the Air Force. It seems like a lot of people on SDN have very mixed emotions about military medicine.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wanting to do Plastics in AF USPS, but no luck in finding out, I'm assuming that contacting a recruiter is the best bet

Reactions: 1 user
What kind of specialities are most sought after by the Air Force?
The USAF is just a little country composed of families that skew a bit toward the younger side. All military specialties are there, but the ones needed by younger people (Peds, Ob, FP) generally skew heavy and the ones needed by older people (RadOnc, Pathology) generally skew light.

I’ve heard that the Air Force would have specific Residences/specialties to fill which means they could influence which speciality you actually go into?
The USAF's goal is to produce enough doctors to serve this little country composed of families that skew a bit toward the younger side. As such, they have a list of doctors they need to train in the various specialties to meet this goal. The USAF can't force you into a specific medical specialty, but they can absolutely "influence" what specialty you go into. If you decide you want to do EM and the USAF decides they only need to train 7 EM docs the year you are set to match, you'll need to be one of those 7 docs selected or start considering other options.

I’m just trying to get an understanding of what life is like after medicial school with the Air Force.
That is what the stickies and FAQs are for. All of this stuff has been discussed ad nauseum.

It seems like a lot of people on SDN have very mixed emotions about military medicine.
I think people have mixed emotions about pretty much everything significant in life. About the only thing I don't have mixed emotions about is apple pie a la mode--which I consider an unqualified good.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know what lifestyle is like as doctor for the air force? are you overworked or is it pretty similar hours to a civilian doctor?

does anyone know what lifestyle is like as doctor for the air force? are you overworked or is it pretty similar hours to a civilian doctor?

It varies greatly depending on your specialty, location, etc. In some specialties you work more and harder, in others you work less. The difference is if you are unhappy in your job/boss/location, you can't go find a new one.

I worked way more clinical hours in the Air Force than I do now as a civilian (180 hours a month versus 140). I also frequently had to go in on my off days to take a drug test, physical fitness test, sit through a lecture on sexual harrassment or suicide prevention, complete computer based training, and the list goes on.

how about residency? is residency in the air force pretty similar to a civilian residency? is there amy difference in the number of hours or workload?