HPSP with existing private scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickmx50

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an existing private undergraduate full scholarship that will give me $15k per year for years 1 and 2 of medical school. Of course that amount can't be put me over the cost of attendance. Is the monthly HPSP stipend considered part of the financial aid package or is it similar to private employment that isn't counted in CoA? I know the HPSP tuition and books are counter in CoA, but i'm just trying to see if I would be able to take HPSP with the monthly stipend, and still be under CoA to get my extra $15 per year. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, it's not your job to go out looking for discounts for the Army. It depends on how the school reports it as to whether or not you will get your money. Hopefully for you they bill HPSP in full and cut you a check.

I have an existing private undergraduate full scholarship that will give me $15k per year for years 1 and 2 of medical school. Of course that amount can't be put me over the cost of attendance. Is the monthly HPSP stipend considered part of the financial aid package or is it similar to private employment that isn't counted in CoA? I know the HPSP tuition and books are counter in CoA, but i'm just trying to see if I would be able to take HPSP with the monthly stipend, and still be under CoA to get my extra $15 per year. Thanks

"I'm just a simple medical student who wants to serve his/her country. I don't understand all this financial stuff. I just filled out the forms that the Army sent me and mailed them back. I am looking forward to serving my country in the Army as an officer and a physician."

Jtun84 is correct. Just see how the school bills it first. If they bill the Army for the full tuition and you get to keep your private scholarship, then good for you. Never, ever mention it to anyone again. Ever.