Hpsp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can I find solid information on this? The armed services webpages tend to be a bit on the ambigous side.

Members don't see this ad.

or check the military medicine residency forum...i know there's tons of info about HPSP and the other military programs, with info by posters from all the different branches.

the military is awesome if 1) you would want to do it even if it wasn't for the $, and 2) you don't mind being sent where the military wants you. that's pretty much the general pointers everyone always comes back to, in my research.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by idq1i
You don't want to be in HPSP.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You conservatives crack me up, sending our boys out into the middle of nowhere to finish off a useless grudge match (not against bin laden mind you, but saddam), and then telling people not to serve the military in a medical fashion without a good reason? :rolleyes:

cerb,
I second checking out the military medicine forum, some of the folks on that page are extremely knowledgeable, and it would be worth your while to read through some posts and pm some of the more prominent members of that forum. I have a friend doing HPSP and he loves it. The benefits are great, and the hospitals he works in are top notch with some of the best doctors out there.

Best of luck!

WTF are you talking about?
Out of context once more, but not surprising. You really are in no position to judge motivations for serving one's country based on internet posts.

Cerb, I've found the military medicine forum helpful as well as the Ballard site. You can also call up a local recruiter and ask to speak to someone with knowledge of the HPSP program. I've gotten several emails from recruiters which has also helped me out as far as gathering information.

Originally posted by DAL
Out of context once more, but not surprising. You really are in no position to judge motivations for serving one's country based on internet posts.

Agreed, at least provide some reasons idq. And if they were indeed so personal that you can't post them, why didn't you just PM him?

Originally posted by DAL

I am in a position to do anything that I feel like doing.

I will indulge you, this time: the "you conservatives" posted by that lamer was out of context for this thread

I didnt even know we had a millitary forum:laugh: thanks guys. As for idq1, if you have specific reasons for why I shouldnt go HPSP then please list them. If however you are implying that I for some reason am unable to serve my country because my political ideology differs from yours, then please sir, go **** yourself.

I am in a position to do anything that I feel like doing.

I will indulge you, this time: the "you conservatives" posted by that lamer was out of context for this thread
You quickly turned this thread down that dirty road to ad hominem and I'm sure everyone is fully aware why you made such a comment. Given that, Gleevec's post was in context.

Hopefully Cerb has gotten the answer to his question, no thanks to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Gleevec
Agreed, at least provide some reasons idq. And if they were indeed so personal that you can't post them, why didn't you just PM him?

Once again....
What do:
"Conservative"
"Personal"
You, specifically

have to do with this thread?

If you look at my other response to an hpsp thread on the front page, you will see that I am more than willing to answer questions about Army's HPSP

In reference to the specific poster, that is. If you have any specific questions, ask away

Why would you suggest that someone not do HPSP? Are you in it?

I'm curious because I'm also interested in HPSP.

Originally posted by Megalofyia

As am I. If I do gain acceptance, HPSP is definitely an option I'm considering. idq, why should I not do HPSP?

This is great, Cerb's innocent HPSP question thread is in danger of being moved to Everyone!

Cerb, as has been mentioned, the military forum has a bunch of folks who are very knowledgeable about HPSP, pros and cons. I would look into Air Force or Army before Navy, but that's just my biased opinion. All in all, I think HPSP is a great option.

Once again, my suggestion is limited to one poster. I am in the program, and I think that it is great. While there are some drawbacks in terms of limited autonomy, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

You don't have to worry about loans, books, test fees, health insurance fees.
You get to serve your country.
You may have to do a residency at a place that you may not like too much.
You may get an all-expenses paid vacation to Iraq (post residency)

If you can live with the last two, go ahead and apply. You don't have to take it if you are accepted.

Btw, AFAIK, only the army and the navy still have slots. the AF is done

Originally posted by Swiper The Fox
This is great, Cerb's innocent HPSP question thread is in danger of being moved to Everyone!

It can't be.. I refuse to read the Everyone forum!

It can't be.. I refuse to read the Everyone forum!
:laugh: Me too! Crap... sorry Cerb...

Originally posted by DAL
As am I. If I do gain acceptance, HPSP is definitely an option I'm considering. idq, why should I not do HPSP?

Are you applying now btw?

If you are, get in touch with your healthcare recruiter SOON!!!! spots are running out!

Positives? See post above.
Negatives? Same. Also, consider that you will have to deal with an extremely bloated, inefficient bureacracy. It's really easy to get frustrated, but once you get used to it, it is (almost smooth sailing).

Also, the medical exam is extremely degrading (but that's a minor point)

Originally posted by Swiper The Fox

Cerb, as has been mentioned, the military forum has a bunch of folks who are very knowledgeable about HPSP, pros and cons. I would look into Air Force or Army before Navy, but that's just my biased opinion. All in all, I think HPSP is a great option.
Cerb, I'm with Swiper here on the Air Force. From what I've heard and read, the AF seems to be the best option, but I've also heard it's a little more competitive and has far few slots available.

BTW, where do conservatives get off on the idea that they own patriotism and the desire to give back to ones country? Ugh, that really pisses me off.

Are you applying now btw?

If you are, get in touch with your healthcare recruiter SOON!!!! spots are running out!

Positives? See post above.
Negatives? Same. Also, consider that you will have to deal with an extremely bloated, inefficient bureacracy. It's really easy to get frustrated, but once you get used to it, it is (almost smooth sailing).

Also, the medical exam is extremely degrading (but that's a minor point)
I'm in touch, just waiting on an acceptance. I'm really hoping it works out and I'd love to do HPSP. Thanks for the information.

Originally posted by DAL
Cerb, I'm with Swiper here on the Air Force. From what I've heard and read, the AF seems to be the best option, but I've also heard it's a little more competitive and has far few slots available.

I have heard some good things about the AF too. However, from what I can tell, the "devil docs" are navy and this is primarily what interests me. Anyone else have information on "operational medicine"?

Originally posted by Cerberus
BTW, where do conservatives get off on the idea that they own patriotism and the desire to give back to ones country? Ugh, that really pisses me off.
I second that. Judging patriotism and motivation for serving one's country just isn't necessary here.

This was posted in the Military forum a while back. The "snapshots" are a bit skewed for the humor effect, but not by much. This is definitely the Navy I know.
USN or USAF?

by Bob Norris

Bob Norris is a former Naval aviator who also did a 3 year exchange
tour with the Air Force flying the F-15 Eagle. He is now an accomplished
author of
entertaining books about US Naval Aviation including "Check Six" and
"Fly-Off". Check out his web site at <http://www.bobnorris.com/>. In
response to a letter from an aspiring fighter pilot on which military
academy to attend, Bob replied with the following.

12 Feb 04

Young Man,

Congratulations on your selection to both the Naval and Air Force
Academies. Your goal of becoming a fighter pilot is impressive and a
fine way to serve your country. As you requested, I'd be happy to share some
insight into which service would be the best choice.> Each service has a
distinctly different culture. You need to sk yourself
"Which one am I more likely to thrive in?"

USAF Snapshot: The USAF is exceptionally well organized and well run.
Their training programs are terrific. All pilots are groomed to meet
high standards for knowledge and professionalism. Their aircraft are
top-notch and extremely well maintained. Their facilities are
excellent. Their enlisted personnel are the brightest and the best
trained. The USAF is homogenous and macro. No matter where you go,
you'll know what to expect, what is expected of you, and you'll be
given the training & tools you need to meet those expectations. You
will never be put in a situation over your head. Over a 20-year
career, you will be home for most important family events. Your Mom
would want you to be an Air Force pilot...so would your wife. Your Dad
wo! uld want your sister to marry one.

Navy Snapshot: Aviators are part of the Navy, but so are Black shoes
(surface warfare) and bubble heads (submariners). Furthermore, the
Navy is split into two distinctly different Fleets (West and East
Coast). The Navy is heterogeneous and micro. Your squadron is your
home; it may be great, average, or awful. A squadron can go from one
extreme to the other before you know it. You will spend months
preparing for deployments and months on deployment. The quality of the
aircraft
varies directly with the availability of parts. Senior Navy enlisted
are the salt of the earth; you'll be proud if you earn their respect.
Junior enlisted vary from terrific to the troubled kid the judge made
join the service. You will be given the opportunity to lead these
people during your career; you will be humbled and you will get your hands
dirty. ! The quality of your training will vary and sometimes you will
be in over your head. You will miss many important family events. There
will be long stretches of tedious duty aboard ship. You will fly in
very bad weather and/or at night and you will be scared many times.
You will fly with legends in the Navy and they will kick your ass until
you become a lethal force.
And some days - when the scheduling gods have smiled upon you - your jet
will catapult into a glorious morning over a far-away sea and you will be
drop-jawed that someone would pay you to do it. The hottest girl in the
bar wants to meet the Naval Aviator. That bar is in Singapore.

Bottom line, son, if you gotta ask...pack warm & good luck in Colorado.

Banzai

PS Air Force pilots wear scarves and iron their flight suits.

Originally posted by DAL
I'm in touch, just waiting on an acceptance. I'm really hoping it works out and I'd love to do HPSP. Thanks for the information.

You may also want to read through MilitaryMD's posts in the mil forum. While the consensus is that his posts are overly negative (plus, he is Navy), I think that it is important that you make yourself aware of all the bad possibilities.

Before signing, I decided that I was willing to put up with everything. Be sure to search your soul to see if you can do the same

I have heard some good things about the AF too. However, from what I can tell, the "devil docs" are navy and this is primarily what interests me. Anyone else have information on "operational medicine"?

It is very important to have an evil agenda. Just so you know I do know of two evil doctors in the air force. I think this is a promising start. Plus if there are many evil doctors in the navy that might mean alot of competition.

My comment had nothing to do with your political views or your patriotism. It had everything to do with 7k+ of insanely lame posts, and your apparent "unbannable" status with the mods.

My comment had nothing to do with your political views or your patriotism. It had everything to do with 7k+ of insanely lame posts, and your apparent "unbannable" status with the mods.

right.....

It is very important to have an evil agenda. Just so you know I do know of two evil doctors in the air force. I think this is a promising start. Plus if there are many evil doctors in the navy that might mean alot of competition.

these are excellant points:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

Cerb, I don't know what your motivation is and I'm not going to question it. However, from my hundreds of discussions and hours of research into HPSP, I will tell you this: don't do it for the money.

Other than that, Air Force and Navy are a tough choice and one that I will hopefully be faced with in the coming months.

Originally posted by JKDMed
Cerb, I don't know what your motivation is and I'm not going to question it. However, from my hundreds of discussions and hours of research into HPSP, I will tell you this: don't do it for the money.

Other than that, Air Force and Navy are a tough choice and one that I will hopefully be faced with in the coming months.

I don't really think it would be worth it if I was only interested in money (not to say that the money isnt a big factor). There are lots of things I find appealing about it:
chance to serve my country
millitary perks
lack of malpractice insurance
chance to see world
interest in combat medicine (big factor)
etc etc

I was really interested in going through the military. The monitary aspect was attractive but the main reason I wanted to do it was because I liked the idea of serving the people getting maimed daily in our military. I actually considered USUHS my top choice for a very long time. I have all the paperwork submited for HPSP and I was a few signatures away from enlisting when I really started to do some research. I was going through the Navy and here is what made me reconsider.

1. A comment made by JKMed in the military forum. He said he's never known an officer in the Navy who hadn't been divorced.
My wife and my family are the most important thing in the world to me. I really couldn't imagine how I could spend months and maybe years away from them.

2. 3 year GMO tour before residency training
I really didn't want to delay my residency anymore, I'm already 29.

3. Government math. Year for year payback?
The advertised payback is four years, right? Wrong. In the navy there is a one year internship (neutral for paypack). The aforementioned 3 year GMO tour counts towards your obligation, which leaves you with 1 year of payback left 4 years after graduation. At this point you can do one of two things, extend your GMO tour one year and be mostly done with the military (you will stay on reserve list for 10 more years) or start your residency training. If you start your residency training you will acrue one year of obligation per year of residency training that you recieve. I was planning on surgery so that added another 5-6 years to the tally.
Grand total: 14-16 years (+4 years reserve, 10 years of being able to call my number)
4 years med school (essentially a reservist)
1 year internship
3 year GMO
5-6 years as a military resident
5-6 payback for residency training
10 years on the reserve list

4. My recruiter way amazingly annoying.
I could tell him to bug off now but as soon as I joined I was married to him and people like him for a score of years.

I guess I just decided that I could serve our soldiers without obligating myself for 20 or so years. I hope I can volunteer my services at a VA hospital or other places where soldiers recieve services. I hope to do Ortho and I know there is a big need for that with all the kids getting limbs blown off lately. I leave the scholarship money for those who are more able to make the sacrifices that miltary service entails.

rgporter, the divorce thing is a very scary observation. It really takes a strong woman and a strong family to make it through times such as that. While I never met a Navy physician, so I cannot comment on their deployment durations and things such as that, the line officers I met had an extremely high divorce rate. Our XO was divorced. All of the sub guys were either divorced or never married. The SWO guy was divorced. Navy officers can be deployed for very long times. Does this extend to navy docs? I don't know. Remember that your specialty largely can determine if and how long you put to sea, if at all.

THe only two I met who weren't divorced were the CO, a Captain. I saw the marine major out with a woman, though I do not know if she was his wife or current girlfriend.

It's certainly doable, but it totally depends on the strength of your love and the strength of the woman in your life.

Have you considered an Air Force 3-year scholarship? I have been told their schedules are much more family-friendly.

<--- Navy line officer (for 6 years) happily married (for 6 years) with 2 kids. Two major deployments, the first lasting 6 months, the second lasting 7 months (I left a 14-month-old at home that time.) The family aspect of life sucks, but it's possible to make it work.

That said, our decision to turn down USUHS and attend a civilian med school - and get out of the Navy - is mainly a family decision.

It looks like you get a really raw deal with the Navy. Is it similar with the AF?

Thanks for all the posts guys, keep em coming its nice to know what the options are.

Originally posted by JKDMed

Have you considered an Air Force 3-year scholarship? I have been told their schedules are much more family-friendly.

I had been told that there are very few AF 3-year scholarships and they are reserved for those who are rejected for 4-year scholarships. I don't know if this is still true.

Ed