1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hpsp

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Cerberus, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Where can I find solid information on this? The armed services webpages tend to be a bit on the ambigous side.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. evenstar

evenstar sausage monkey
    7+ Year Member

If you're interested in the Air Force HPSP, there's a really helpful site made by a guy who just finished med school on an HPSP scholarship. It's at http://lukeballard.tripod.com/HPSP.html ... hope that helps!

4. brats800

brats800 cheesehead

Attending Physician
    or check the military medicine residency forum...i know there's tons of info about HPSP and the other military programs, with info by posters from all the different branches.

the military is awesome if 1) you would want to do it even if it wasn't for the $, and 2) you don't mind being sent where the military wants you. that's pretty much the general pointers everyone always comes back to, in my research.

5. idq1i

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You don't want to be in HPSP.

6. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You conservatives crack me up, sending our boys out into the middle of nowhere to finish off a useless grudge match (not against bin laden mind you, but saddam), and then telling people not to serve the military in a medical fashion without a good reason? :rolleyes:

cerb,
    I second checking out the military medicine forum, some of the folks on that page are extremely knowledgeable, and it would be worth your while to read through some posts and pm some of the more prominent members of that forum. I have a friend doing HPSP and he loves it. The benefits are great, and the hospitals he works in are top notch with some of the best doctors out there.

Best of luck!

7. Megalofyia

Megalofyia 425 lbs and growing
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can you be a little more specific?

8. idq1i

Attending Physician
    WTF are you talking about?

9. idq1i

Attending Physician
    In reference to the specific poster, that is. If you have any specific questions, ask away

10. DAL

DAL no thank you
    7+ Year Member

Out of context once more, but not surprising. You really are in no position to judge motivations for serving one's country based on internet posts.

Cerb, I've found the military medicine forum helpful as well as the Ballard site. You can also call up a local recruiter and ask to speak to someone with knowledge of the HPSP program. I've gotten several emails from recruiters which has also helped me out as far as gathering information.

11. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Agreed, at least provide some reasons idq. And if they were indeed so personal that you can't post them, why didn't you just PM him?

12. idq1i

Attending Physician
    I am in a position to do anything that I feel like doing.

I will indulge you, this time: the "you conservatives" posted by that lamer was out of context for this thread

13. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    I didnt even know we had a millitary forum:laugh: thanks guys. As for idq1, if you have specific reasons for why I shouldnt go HPSP then please list them. If however you are implying that I for some reason am unable to serve my country because my political ideology differs from yours, then please sir, go **** yourself.

14. DAL

DAL no thank you
    7+ Year Member

You quickly turned this thread down that dirty road to ad hominem and I'm sure everyone is fully aware why you made such a comment. Given that, Gleevec's post was in context.

Hopefully Cerb has gotten the answer to his question, no thanks to you.

15. idq1i

Attending Physician
    Once again....
    What do:
    "Conservative"
    "Personal"
    You, specifically

have to do with this thread?

If you look at my other response to an hpsp thread on the front page, you will see that I am more than willing to answer questions about Army's HPSP

16. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why would you suggest that someone not do HPSP? Are you in it?

I'm curious because I'm also interested in HPSP.

17. DAL

DAL no thank you
    7+ Year Member

As am I. If I do gain acceptance, HPSP is definitely an option I'm considering. idq, why should I not do HPSP?

18. Swiper

Swiper Registered User
    10+ Year Member

This is great, Cerb's innocent HPSP question thread is in danger of being moved to Everyone!

Cerb, as has been mentioned, the military forum has a bunch of folks who are very knowledgeable about HPSP, pros and cons. I would look into Air Force or Army before Navy, but that's just my biased opinion. All in all, I think HPSP is a great option.

19. idq1i

Attending Physician
    Once again, my suggestion is limited to one poster. I am in the program, and I think that it is great. While there are some drawbacks in terms of limited autonomy, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

You don't have to worry about loans, books, test fees, health insurance fees.
    You get to serve your country.
    You may have to do a residency at a place that you may not like too much.
    You may get an all-expenses paid vacation to Iraq (post residency)

If you can live with the last two, go ahead and apply. You don't have to take it if you are accepted.

Btw, AFAIK, only the army and the navy still have slots. the AF is done

20. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It can't be.. I refuse to read the Everyone forum!

21. Swiper

Swiper Registered User
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: Me too! Crap... sorry Cerb...

22. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    Well, in that case "go **** yourself"

23. idq1i

Attending Physician
    Are you applying now btw?

If you are, get in touch with your healthcare recruiter SOON!!!! spots are running out!

Positives? See post above.
    Negatives? Same. Also, consider that you will have to deal with an extremely bloated, inefficient bureacracy. It's really easy to get frustrated, but once you get used to it, it is (almost smooth sailing).

Also, the medical exam is extremely degrading (but that's a minor point)

24. DAL

DAL no thank you
    7+ Year Member

Cerb, I'm with Swiper here on the Air Force. From what I've heard and read, the AF seems to be the best option, but I've also heard it's a little more competitive and has far few slots available.

25. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    BTW, where do conservatives get off on the idea that they own patriotism and the desire to give back to ones country? Ugh, that really pisses me off.

26. DAL

DAL no thank you
    7+ Year Member

I'm in touch, just waiting on an acceptance. I'm really hoping it works out and I'd love to do HPSP. Thanks for the information.

27. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    I have heard some good things about the AF too. However, from what I can tell, the "devil docs" are navy and this is primarily what interests me. Anyone else have information on "operational medicine"?

28. DAL

DAL no thank you
    7+ Year Member

I second that. Judging patriotism and motivation for serving one's country just isn't necessary here.

29. Swiper

Swiper Registered User
    10+ Year Member

This was posted in the Military forum a while back. The "snapshots" are a bit skewed for the humor effect, but not by much. This is definitely the Navy I know.

30. idq1i

Attending Physician
    You may also want to read through MilitaryMD's posts in the mil forum. While the consensus is that his posts are overly negative (plus, he is Navy), I think that it is important that you make yourself aware of all the bad possibilities.

Before signing, I decided that I was willing to put up with everything. Be sure to search your soul to see if you can do the same

31. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    anyhow, lets keep this thread away from the everyone forum... there is a reason i dont go there very often...

32. Megalofyia

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It is very important to have an evil agenda. Just so you know I do know of two evil doctors in the air force. I think this is a promising start. Plus if there are many evil doctors in the navy that might mean alot of competition.

33. idq1i

Attending Physician
    My comment had nothing to do with your political views or your patriotism. It had everything to do with 7k+ of insanely lame posts, and your apparent "unbannable" status with the mods.

34. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    right.....

35. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    these are excellant points:smuggrin: :smuggrin:

36. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    Cerb, I don't know what your motivation is and I'm not going to question it. However, from my hundreds of discussions and hours of research into HPSP, I will tell you this: don't do it for the money.

Other than that, Air Force and Navy are a tough choice and one that I will hopefully be faced with in the coming months.

37. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    I don't really think it would be worth it if I was only interested in money (not to say that the money isnt a big factor). There are lots of things I find appealing about it:
    chance to serve my country
    millitary perks
    lack of malpractice insurance
    chance to see world
    interest in combat medicine (big factor)
    etc etc

38. rgporter

rgporter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was really interested in going through the military. The monitary aspect was attractive but the main reason I wanted to do it was because I liked the idea of serving the people getting maimed daily in our military. I actually considered USUHS my top choice for a very long time. I have all the paperwork submited for HPSP and I was a few signatures away from enlisting when I really started to do some research. I was going through the Navy and here is what made me reconsider.

1. A comment made by JKMed in the military forum. He said he's never known an officer in the Navy who hadn't been divorced.
    My wife and my family are the most important thing in the world to me. I really couldn't imagine how I could spend months and maybe years away from them.

2. 3 year GMO tour before residency training
    I really didn't want to delay my residency anymore, I'm already 29.

3. Government math. Year for year payback?
    The advertised payback is four years, right? Wrong. In the navy there is a one year internship (neutral for paypack). The aforementioned 3 year GMO tour counts towards your obligation, which leaves you with 1 year of payback left 4 years after graduation. At this point you can do one of two things, extend your GMO tour one year and be mostly done with the military (you will stay on reserve list for 10 more years) or start your residency training. If you start your residency training you will acrue one year of obligation per year of residency training that you recieve. I was planning on surgery so that added another 5-6 years to the tally.
    Grand total: 14-16 years (+4 years reserve, 10 years of being able to call my number)
    4 years med school (essentially a reservist)
    1 year internship
    3 year GMO
    5-6 years as a military resident
    5-6 payback for residency training
    10 years on the reserve list

4. My recruiter way amazingly annoying.
    I could tell him to bug off now but as soon as I joined I was married to him and people like him for a score of years.

I guess I just decided that I could serve our soldiers without obligating myself for 20 or so years. I hope I can volunteer my services at a VA hospital or other places where soldiers recieve services. I hope to do Ortho and I know there is a big need for that with all the kids getting limbs blown off lately. I leave the scholarship money for those who are more able to make the sacrifices that miltary service entails.

39. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    rgporter, the divorce thing is a very scary observation. It really takes a strong woman and a strong family to make it through times such as that. While I never met a Navy physician, so I cannot comment on their deployment durations and things such as that, the line officers I met had an extremely high divorce rate. Our XO was divorced. All of the sub guys were either divorced or never married. The SWO guy was divorced. Navy officers can be deployed for very long times. Does this extend to navy docs? I don't know. Remember that your specialty largely can determine if and how long you put to sea, if at all.

THe only two I met who weren't divorced were the CO, a Captain. I saw the marine major out with a woman, though I do not know if she was his wife or current girlfriend.

It's certainly doable, but it totally depends on the strength of your love and the strength of the woman in your life.

Have you considered an Air Force 3-year scholarship? I have been told their schedules are much more family-friendly.

40. Swiper

Swiper Registered User
    10+ Year Member

<--- Navy line officer (for 6 years) happily married (for 6 years) with 2 kids. Two major deployments, the first lasting 6 months, the second lasting 7 months (I left a 14-month-old at home that time.) The family aspect of life sucks, but it's possible to make it work.

That said, our decision to turn down USUHS and attend a civilian med school - and get out of the Navy - is mainly a family decision.

41. Cerberus

Attending Physician
    It looks like you get a really raw deal with the Navy. Is it similar with the AF?

Thanks for all the posts guys, keep em coming its nice to know what the options are.

42. edmadison

edmadison 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I had been told that there are very few AF 3-year scholarships and they are reserved for those who are rejected for 4-year scholarships. I don't know if this is still true.

Ed