HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingse

Reaction score
Hello,

Is HPSP worth it? Does it cover 100% of DS costs (exceeding ~350K or higher)? Is the salary as a military dentist worth it and comparable to an associate and would it allow someone to purchase a practice after 4 years of serving?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely worth it if you can get it. Covers full cost of tuition up to any amount (as of now). You receive a sign on bonus and a monthly stipend while in school too.

The pay isn’t nearly as much as a non-military dentist. I think around 120k. Maybe less. But you receive full military benefits so it makes up for the pay. If you’re smart with your money you could probably manage to buy into a practice soon after finishing your commitment. But with no debt you’ll be doing better than most post graduation after 4 years.

Reactions: 1 users
I did exactly this. It works for some, is torture for others. I was somewhere in the middle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did exactly this. It works for some, is torture for others. I was somewhere in the middle.
Cool! I've heard that you must be accepted into a DS and then apply to HPSP, correct? Is NHSC similar to HSPS? Did you stay after you 4 years and would you mind telling me your salary during these years, please? I would appreciate it. Are you a practice owner now or still in the program?

I went through this process during a much different time so I imagine that there will be some major differences as far as the process goes.
I applied for dental school and the HPSP concurrently during 2008. At the time they had what was called the matrix qualification process. Essentially if you met a couple benchmarks, you we guaranteed the scholarship. GPA, DAT and an interview to make sure you weren't a *****. The very next year that all changed because demand for the scholarship went way up because the country had entered a recession. The matrix qualification went away. Obviously everything is different now. So I won't be able to be much help in that relm.

I did an AEGD-1, 3 years in Germany, and accepted a 2 year extension to take another overseas assignment (You have to commit to a 3 year assignment to go overseas so that added time beyond my initial commitment). So I did 7 years active duty and served in my top 2 desired locations. I would have separated at 5 years instead of 7 if they hadn't have offered me my preferred location. You can easily determine what your salary will be by googling military pay scales. You can also see what your BAH for any area will be based on available calculators. Add 20k for dentist pay. So base pay + BAH + 20000 + some other small things. The thing that will cause variance in your pay is your BAH, location. Your pay will be in the 120k range for the first 4 years. It goes up a bit after2,3 and 4 year and then quite a bit more if you are there past 6 when you promote to major. My last year I made 165K.

I pushed the button to separate in Feb 2020.... Terrible timing.... March to July of 2020 was a very stressful time for me. I ended up getting an associate gig locally with a practice who's dentist had to stop working the practice for various reasons during the pandemic. I essentially work as an "associate" in the practice from July until the purchase went through in Dec 2020. It ended up being great timing and am thrilled with my career path up to this point.

I went through this process during a much different time so I imagine that there will be some major differences as far as the process goes.
I applied for dental school and the HPSP concurrently during 2008. At the time they had what was called the matrix qualification process. Essentially if you met a couple benchmarks, you we guaranteed the scholarship. GPA, DAT and an interview to make sure you weren't a *****. The very next year that all changed because demand for the scholarship went way up because the country had entered a recession. The matrix qualification went away. Obviously everything is different now. So I won't be able to be much help in that relm.

I did an AEGD-1, 3 years in Germany, and accepted a 2 year extension to take another overseas assignment (You have to commit to a 3 year assignment to go overseas so that added time beyond my initial commitment). So I did 7 years active duty and served in my top 2 desired locations. I would have separated at 5 years instead of 7 if they hadn't have offered me my preferred location. You can easily determine what your salary will be by googling military pay scales. You can also see what your BAH for any area will be based on available calculators. Add 20k for dentist pay. So base pay + BAH + 20000 + some other small things. The thing that will cause variance in your pay is your BAH, location. Your pay will be in the 120k range for the first 4 years. It goes up a bit after2,3 and 4 year and then quite a bit more if you are there past 6 when you promote to major. My last year I made 165K.

I pushed the button to separate in Feb 2020.... Terrible timing.... March to July of 2020 was a very stressful time for me. I ended up getting an associate gig locally with a practice who's dentist had to stop working the practice for various reasons during the pandemic. I essentially work as an "associate" in the practice from July until the purchase went through in Dec 2020. It ended up being great timing and am thrilled with my career path up to this point.
Thank you! I really appreciate the response. So the base salary is based on rank?

Would you mind sharing your branch as well? Thank you!

I was Air Force.

I say this with all sincerity and without malice..... based on the basic nature of your questions, you have a lot of reading to do. All of your questions have been answered extensively in the military forums. I am happy to answer questions but you will glean way more info by reading through the forums already in place. Look for the forums that say "Ask an Airforce/Army/Navy Dentist". You will have plenty of forums and resources to keep you busy for a long time.

I was Air Force.

I say this with all sincerity and without malice..... based on the basic nature of your questions, you have a lot of reading to do. All of your questions have been answered extensively in the military forums. I am happy to answer questions but you will glean way more info by reading through the forums already in place. Look for the forums that say "Ask an Airforce/Army/Navy Dentist". You will have plenty of forums and resources to keep you busy for a long time.
Ok thank you for the advice. I will go throw the forums 👍

Hello,

Is HPSP worth it? Does it cover 100% of DS costs (exceeding ~350K or higher)? Is the salary as a military dentist worth it and comparable to an associate and would it allow someone to purchase a practice after 4 years of serving?
I'm currently serving in the Air Force. Did a 3-year HPSP, finished my commitment a few years ago and I'm still here!
It covers 100% of your tuition and gives you a stipend to live on (ie pays for food, rent, beer).
I am definitely not earning as much as my peers. I'm earning about 100k right now. My clinical workload is very manageable but often times I have to do extra admin/paperwork for military things.
If you plan it right with investments, you could possibly finish your commitment with enough money for a loan to purchase. But that also depends where you're purchasing (ex: NYC vs North Dakota) and how much money youre planning to save.

Hi!
I applied for the HPSP and was "waitlisted" for it. Is there typically lots of movement and a realistic chance that I get picked off the waitlist? or should I apply for the NHSC as well just in case I do not get this one?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently serving in the Air Force. Did a 3-year HPSP, finished my commitment a few years ago and I'm still here!
It covers 100% of your tuition and gives you a stipend to live on (ie pays for food, rent, beer).
I am definitely not earning as much as my peers. I'm earning about 100k right now. My clinical workload is very manageable but often times I have to do extra admin/paperwork for military things.
If you plan it right with investments, you could possibly finish your commitment with enough money for a loan to purchase. But that also depends where you're purchasing (ex: NYC vs North Dakota) and how much money youre planning to save.
Is moonlighting an option?

Is moonlighting an option?
Thats a big fat maybe. It depends on tons of factors including: Local hospital and commander's rules(this varies widely by the local mission and how big of a control freak your boss is), state licensure regulations and branch specific factors (example, NAVY shore vs ship). Most don't moonlight but when you do, there are lots of hoops and its complicated. I moonlighted my last 2 years, it worked well for me but I already knew I was getting out and staying local. The cost of licensure and personal liability insurance ($4500) and chain of command concerns almost derailed it.

More generally, you should be all in on your decision to join and what it means to serve. If you feel like you need one foot in and one foot out from the get go then you shouldn't do it.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi!
I applied for the HPSP and was "waitlisted" for it. Is there typically lots of movement and a realistic chance that I get picked off the waitlist? or should I apply for the NHSC as well just in case I do not get this one?
I am not sure how true this rumor is, and I don't know if it was addressed or not; from what I hear, if you didn't get the four years, they usually wait till around the new FY (OCT) and the applicants on the waitlist get rolled on to the 3-year scholarship. If anyone can confirm that, please do.