HPSP/NHSC--is it worth it for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

augustacrimsontide

Reaction score
I'm sure this question gets posted a million times so my apologies in advance for starting a 1000th thread on it.
Basically unless I get off the waitlist for my in-state school, I'll be attending UAB as an OOS student (~$107,000/yr total cost). I'm potentially interested in specializing someday but not until after a couple years of normal practice after dental school. I grew up in a rural area and would not be opposed to living in a place like that again unless it was some god-awful place like Ohio or whatever.
Given the recent uptick in interest rates for federal grad loans and my $400,000+ potential debt (not even factoring in loan fees & said interest), is HPSP or NHSC something that I should be pursuing, no question? (From what I understand, NHSC is becoming even more incredibly competitive than HPSP scholarships).
I've also seen people say that stats factor into the distribution of HPSP scholarships and wanted to know if that's actually true? 4.0 GPA/sGPA, 26 DAT.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Make sure you look at prior posts on the topic (usually below this thread are "Similar threads." :)

I'm certain your financial aid office could connect you to some of the local contacts for HPSP or NHSC. It would not surprise me if they had presentations during your upcoming orientation.

HPSP is competitive too. I would start by reaching out to a health professions recruiter for USAF, Navy and Army. They have a prequalification screening checklist. The process takes several months.
I’m retired USAF and think HPSP is a great way to go to have no school debt and gain experience after graduating.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
HPSP is competitive too. I would start by reaching out to a health professions recruiter for USAF, Navy and Army. They have a prequalification screening checklist. The process takes several months.
I’m retired USAF and think HPSP is a great way to go to have no school debt and gain experience after graduating.
Thanks! I actually reached out to several today and filled out a simple form for one of them that they sent. Were you in the HPSP program with the Air Force?

Thanks! I actually reached out to several today and filled out a simple form for one of them that they sent. Were you in the HPSP program with the Air Force?
No I was a direct commission 1.5 years out of nursing school. But I later was PNP consultant and reviewed/interviewed HPSP applicants for the USAF. Met lots of HPSP medical/dental officers in my career.

Reactions: 1 users
4 years of service to get out of a 500k hole, while also collecting a good salary is a great deal

4 years of service to get out of a 500k hole, while also collecting a good salary is a great deal
Agree plus the benefits - health insurance, retirement plan, tax exemptions, gym etc… and you work on a rather healthy population without concerns of insurance coverage/payment, ie you get to do what you were trained to do.

HPSP is competitive too.
This. It’s probably more competitive than getting into a good dental school in the first place.

You’re already too late to apply for the 4-year HPSP. You should have started the process last summer/fall. I’m not sure about the NHSC, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s also on a similar timeline.

Big Hoss

This. It’s probably more competitive than getting into a good dental school in the first place.

You’re already too late to apply for the 4-year HPSP. You should have started the process last summer/fall. I’m not sure about the NHSC, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s also on a similar timeline.

Big Hoss
The NHSC is on a delayed timeline. The application usually opens around March and closes a month or two later, but you aren’t awarded the scholarship (if you get it) until September after you have already matriculated.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for the advice. I knew prior to posting that I would be applying for a 3-year deal at max--this wasn't originally part of my plan since I didn't think I'd get waitlisted at my IS school with a 26 DAT and 4.0, but c'est la vie.
I'm on the email alert list for whenever NHSC opens in March. I talked to Army and Air Force recruiters last week and have a Navy phone interview scheduled for tomorrow. Thankfully the 3-year application process doesn't start until I'm well into my D1 year since those first grades factor into their decision process, I was told, so I have a few months to approach this carefully and think/pray about it. Fully intend to pursue all avenues since I should at least try and earn the option of saying yes/no.

Reactions: 3 users
I did the NHSC working at a FQHC. It was so beneficial to knock off my debt. It definitely was worth it. I also tried to do HPSP but did not get through. I did the National Guard HPLRP was a pretty great deal. The loan repayment was significant. I definitely recommend it. Let me know if you have questions

I'm sure this question gets posted a million times so my apologies in advance for starting a 1000th thread on it.
Basically unless I get off the waitlist for my in-state school, I'll be attending UAB as an OOS student (~$107,000/yr total cost). I'm potentially interested in specializing someday but not until after a couple years of normal practice after dental school. I grew up in a rural area and would not be opposed to living in a place like that again unless it was some god-awful place like Ohio or whatever.
Given the recent uptick in interest rates for federal grad loans and my $400,000+ potential debt (not even factoring in loan fees & said interest), is HPSP or NHSC something that I should be pursuing, no question? (From what I understand, NHSC is becoming even more incredibly competitive than HPSP scholarships).
I've also seen people say that stats factor into the distribution of HPSP scholarships and wanted to know if that's actually true? 4.0 GPA/sGPA, 26 DAT.

Thanks
I would still apply for the HPSP because you don't have to accept it if granted. I have no idea if they are being more restrictive with it nowadays but when I got HPSP back in 2016 I had 22DAT and 3.6GPA.

If you can get NHSC I would recommend it though because unless you are ideologically/romantically tied to the idea of being a military officer you will likely enjoy your life much more in NHSC. The military, or at least the Navy, wants you to do a bunch of stuff to fulfill your officer role that has nothing to do with being a dentist and in my opinion this stunts you professionally when transitioning to the civilian world.

Reactions: 2 users
I would still apply for the HPSP because you don't have to accept it if granted. I have no idea if they are being more restrictive with it nowadays but when I got HPSP back in 2016 I had 22DAT and 3.6GPA.

If you can get NHSC I would recommend it though because unless you are ideologically/romantically tied to the idea of being a military officer you will likely enjoy your life much more in NHSC. The military, or at least the Navy, wants you to do a bunch of stuff to fulfill your officer role that has nothing to do with being a dentist and in my opinion this stunts you professionally when transitioning to the civilian world.
Thanks for the input; the NHSC certainly lines up more what I'd hope to do, but I know it's incredibly competitive so I figured it'd be wise to pursue the HPSP as well to have the option if possible.

I agree about the admin and other duties as part of being an officer. However, different from NHSC, HPSP students are given a stipend to live on while in school and have a few other perks being an officer when serving their payback. Some of that makes up for the frustrations of military service. Bigger investment with more expectations in return. Plus the patient population is rather healthy and young.

I agree about the admin and other duties as part of being an officer. However, different from NHSC, HPSP students are given a stipend to live on while in school and have a few other perks being an officer when serving their payback. Some of that makes up for the frustrations of military service. Bigger investment with more expectations in return. Plus the patient population is rather healthy and young.
NHSC scholars are also given a stipend while in school.

NHSC scholars are also given a stipend while in school.
Good to know. And is it 100% loan forgiveness? My friend who did it years ago had up to $50k per year or something similar.

Good to know. And is it 100% loan forgiveness? My friend who did it years ago had up to $50k per year or something similar.
There are three different programs through the NHSC.
1) The NHSC Scholarship Program (SP) pays 99% of your tuition and fees + a stipend as you are going through school, like the HPSP. You apply just before you start or anytime while you are in school.
2) The NHSC Student to Service (S2S) Program is a loan repayment program that gives $120k as a lump sum for 3 years of service AFTER graduation as long as you sign up while you are still a student. You can renew for a lesser amount per year until your loans are paid off. You apply your last year in school.
3) The NHSC Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is another loan repayment program that gives $50k as a lump sum for 2 years of service, again AFTER graduation. You can renew for a lesser amount per year until your loans are paid off. You apply sometime after graduating.