Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Hpsp

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tulane06, Nov 18, 2005.

1. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm planning on doing the military scholarship thing to pay for med school. Is anyone else here considering HPSP?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I went through the process for the scholarship last year and probably would have taken it had I been accepted to medical school. But as time went on and I talked with more people, both civilian and military, I realized I was getting a raw deal. Though I felt pride in knowing I would be serving my country and caring for the men and women who defend our nation, I was also growing uncomfortable with the idea of being directly subject to the atrocious policies of the current administration.

My advice, be certain you know what you're getting yourself into and why you want this scholarship. Talk to as many people as you can and definitely visit the military medicine forum on SDN. Remember that when you're in the military, you are an officer first and a doctor second.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. USArmyDoc

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Get over yourself! :rolleyes: If you wanted to serve, you should serve for the purpose of protecting our nation and, in our case, healing the "trigger pullers."

4. WholeLottaGame7

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah I'm definitely considering it. I'm just a little concerned about possibly not being able to go into the residency of my choosing, but it would be hard not to, especially if I go to a private or out-of-state school. No loans + stipend + helping servicemen/women/families = good deal.

5. volcanicglass

volcanicglass Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
  6. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    Take it from someone who served in the Air Force: That pride in serving your country does necessitate wearing camo. Serve an underserved community, serve join the Public Health Service, become a medical director for a volunteer ambulance service, etc. None of these require selling your soul to the military. But don't take my word, check out the military medicine forum to get other peoples' opinions to see what I am saying is not just my opinion. It's a widely held belief.

7. USAFdoc2be

USAFdoc2be Jaime
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm going to USUHS next year and I have quite a few friends who are docs in the AF and love it. There are always going to be people who love and hate their job, no matter where you are. I worked as a drug rep for a few years before joining the military and heard all he complaints those docs made. Each has advantages and disadvantages, just make sure you weigh both sides before making the commitment.

8. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I know one doc who liked the Air Force, and his sanity and grip on reality has come into question more than once by other physicians. I guess if you're willing to be told where to live, how to practice, when to work, and be made to get up at ungodly hours of the morning to do mindless exercise (as I know some medical units mandate), then go for it. I just find that there are far better options in the civilian world.

9. USAFdoc2be

USAFdoc2be Jaime
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

I can't comment on the "how to practice", but the "when to work", "where to live" are part of the military and the "midless exercises" have saved lives and will hopefully prevent further loss of life. I do all those now in the military and am not part of the medical corps. If you don't want to live the military lifestyle, then I agree don't join the military.

I happen to love the military, love moving and seeing new places, wherever that may be. I proud to get up at ungodly hours to do an exercise knowing that on the other side of the world people are waking up at the same time defending our freedom. I couldn't ask to work with and for a better and more worthy group of people.