HS student need advice from predents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roosevelt32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello predental students! I made this account today to ask a few questions so here I go.
To start off im a senior in hs that is looking fowards the field of dentistry. I'm a Texas Resident and unfortunately out of the 12 universities I visited (ut,tamu,tcu), I dealt with discrimination and rude people.however I liked a few schools(ttu,unt) but I dont know much of their predentistry program. So I was considering going to undergrad OOS(colorado,utah) where there is diversity. my question is whether I'd be considered an oos aplicant when i apply to TX schools if I complete the prereqs oos.
Also My last question is how complicated is college chemistry? I struggled quiet a bit with chem and I would lik advice on how you guys study for this weedout course.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
What kind of discrimination did you experience at UT? I go here and everyone's super nice, a great education too

College Chem isn't bad. I didn't understand chem in high school (got Bs) and made As in freshman year chem

Agreed. I graduated from Texas last year and never experienced any types of discrimination. You will see a jerk here and there. It happens at every school. UT is also one of the most diverse schools in the nation. I can guarantee that you will be getting a world class education from Texas AND A&M. I also want to add that TPS or The Texas Pre-Dental Society will def. make you feel at home. Great organization with awesome like minded individuals.

Stay on top of your studies. Go to office hrs. Professors are very willing to help and appreciate the effort. Who knows. One day, they may write you a great LOR from that!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of discrimination did you experience at UT? I go here and everyone's super nice, a great education too

College Chem isn't bad. I didn't understand chem in high school (got Bs) and made As in freshman year chem
Well lets say I didnt face racism but rather rude people. As I was touring UT, I heard comments made on my mentally ill sister(who has the habit of smiling and skipping while walking). I heard snickering and giggling behind my family and heared the word "******ed". It wasn't a good experience to go through considering the fact this was the first school I toured.
UT is still a great school, however I still feel the bitter taste from that comment.

Agreed. I graduated from Texas last year and never experienced any types of discrimination. You will see a jerk here and there. It happens at every school. UT is also one of the most diverse schools in the nation. I can guarantee that you will be getting a world class education from Texas AND A&M. I also want to add that TPS or The Texas Pre-Dental Society will def. make you feel at home. Great organization with awesome like minded individuals.

Stay on top of your studies. Go to office hrs. Professors are very willing to help and appreciate the effort. Who knows. One day, they may write you a great LOR from that!
Thanks for the response, as stated above, UT is a great school but unfortnately that experience still stains my mind.

If you go out of state you can still apply as a resident as long as you don't change your license, vehicle and voter registration to new state etc.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a TX resident, look and apply into DEAP (Dental Early Acceptance Program). Get in contact with UTHSCSA dental school regarding this program, its a huge advantage over applying traditionally.

Attend a university that is a near one of the three dental schools that way you can be involved in their activities and get to know their admissions

I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience, it's unfortunate that it occurred at a great university. I believe that UT and A&M have great pre-dental societies (I interviewed with mostly A&M and UT students). You should also consider UTD, they are known for producing well-rounded pre-health students. Either way I think that you should stay in Texas and take the in-state college tuition (unless you can get in-state tuition to an OOS school with an SAT score or something). Take a look at the DEAP program that was mentioned above, you can pull a list of colleges that participate in the program with a quick Google search.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience, it's unfortunate that it occurred at a great university. I believe that UT and A&M have great pre-dental societies (I interviewed with mostly A&M and UT students). You should also consider UTD, they are known for producing well-rounded pre-health students. Either way I think that you should stay in Texas and take the in-state college tuition (unless you can get in-state tuition to an OOS school with an SAT score or something). Take a look at the DEAP program that was mentioned above, you can pull a list of colleges that participate in the program with a quick Google search.
Yes there is no doubt tx has great undergrad schools. Do you work with the admission process in tx? I bolded the statement. up on top.

Yes there is no doubt tx has great undergrad schools. Do you work with the admission process in tx? I bolded the statement. up on top.

Haha no. I meant that the other students I went to the Dental School interviews with were from UT and A&M.
But if I worked with admissions I would accept everybody!

Haha no. I meant that the other students I went to the Dental School interviews with were from UT and A&M.
But if I worked with admissions I would accept everybody!

I think you should work for admissions. I'll write you a LOR.

If you do decide to attend undergrad OOS, your residency status for applying to dental schools will likely turn on whether you are still financially dependent on your parents at the time you apply. If your parents reside in Texas, vote in Texas, register vehicles in Texas, own property in Texas, etc. etc., and that does not change over the next four years, you will be a Texas resident for D school admission and tuition purposes regardless of where you go to school.

Yea, I visited UW (i'm a texas resident) before undergrad and to really have a good chance you need to be a resident and that meant taking a year off and establishing residency and other processes that would cost a lot more money and time than just going to undergrad in texas and having a good chance at one of the three dental schools here.

Go to Utah! You'll love it here!

Stay in Texas and take advantage of the lost cost dental education you will get. That in-state preference will get you in probably as long as you do well and again.... YOU CAN'T PASS UP THIS OPPORTUNITY OF SUCH A LOW COST DENTAL EDUCATION!!!

The things I would do to pay less than 100k for dental school....

T
Stay in Texas and take advantage of the lost cost dental education you will get. That in-state preference will get you in probably as long as you do well and again.... YOU CAN'T PASS UP THIS OPPORTUNITY OF SUCH A LOW COST DENTAL EDUCATION!!!

The things I would do to pay less than 100k for dental school....
Your right .... staying in txas would probably be my best option moneywise

College chemistry isnt too hard as long as you put in the time and effort to get good grades. In high school you could breeze through a class with no problem, but in college it is required that you put in real effort for your grades. Just make it a point to study ahead of your exams and not to sacrifice your grades by cramming all the time. Also, dont forget to have a life outside of the classroom, you dont want to burn out.