HS student PLEASE READ and offer opinion please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamingboutMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my senior year in High School and would like to become an MD. If anyone knows of any BS/MD programs, 7 or 8 year, please let me know. I do know of a few but I would like to know about as many as possible. Any input would be very helpful. Thank You in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey newbie

welcome to SDN.

I'm sorry but I have no info on such programs. Just wanted to give you the customary welcome though.

The University of Miami has a BS/MD program that is 7 years (you apply at the end of your sophomore year of college). They also have one that is a 6 year program. This specific program is curtailed to high school seniors with high SAT scores. If accepted the student would do 2 years of college at UM and then go into medical school. This is all I know about the program. Call them to get more info such as application deadlines and what not.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm in the one at USC. its not abbreviated tho

the two most popular or most selective ones are probably Brown's and Northwestern's HPME. If you are from the north east check out the College of NJ...they have a program with UMDNJ

brown's med school isn't very good at all. i don't think its one of the most popular ones. NW's on the otherhand, i agre is very very good

What's up, dirty? The Association of Americal Medical Colleges (AAMC) publishes a book detailing medical school admission requirements for all the US allopathic schools, called the MSAR, and this book also has a section for the BS/MD programs in this country. You can find it in the reference section at a public or university library.

Originally posted by Smoke This
What's up, dirty? The Association of Americal Medical Colleges (AAMC) publishes a book detailing medical school admission requirements called the MSAR, and this book also has a section for the BS/MD programs in this country. You can find it in the reference section at a public or university library.

I've looked up that section. There are lots of med schools that have those programs. I wish I knew of that list, I would have applied to those schools!!!

I come from Northwestern and was accepted in the HPME program as a Junior in college in a new program they are starting. I would caution anyone considering a combined program. You really need to think about why you are choosing such program. I know that one reason that Northwestern has the program is to get students to come to NU that wouldn't normally come. If you are a good student and dedicated to medicine and you think you can get into a combined program there is little reason to think that you won't be able to get in later down the road. The reason to pick an combined program is to be able to do much more with your undergrad that you would normally as a "pre-med". There are programs that considerably shorten the length of the program which is an advantage to some. College is fun, I wouldn't want to cut it short to get out in to practice a little bit faster.

I also know that Michigan has a program but I don't know what the details of the program are.

Good luck and think about why you are choosing the programs you are looking at.

not sure how long it is, but I do know that UMKC (university of missouri- kansas city) use to have a bs/md program

Rice-Baylor in Texas. Both good schools.

Use the search menu in the upper right hand corner, and use "BA/MD" or "BS/MD" as the search string.

There are also a couple books on accelerated medicine. One is published by the folks from www.acceleratedmed.com, written by two guys out of MCPHU / Lehigh.

The other is called "The Underground Guide" or something like that.

Best of luck,

Jason

probably the best programs are USC B/MD, NW HPME, Rice/Baylor, and UCSD.... I agree with Dr. Kevin in that Brown's program isn't that great because of the subpar quality of the medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
definitely dr q.

right on bro. u gotz my back!

here are the ones i know of:

northwestern
george washington i think is 8 year
umkc is 6 year
lehigh is 6 year program
university of rochester is 7 year program
plme at brown is 8 year program (i have two friends in plme so if you thinking about brown i can always ask them any questions you may have about plme)
miami has a program
university of oklahoma has 8 medical humanities program
rice-baylor
i know vanderbilt accepts premed students after their first year, like i think 10 students, but that is extremely hard to get into
usc
thats all i can think of right now. good luck

The University of Louisville has a similar program. It's called the GEMS program (guarenteed entrance to med school). I don't think it's the same thing as a joint degree program, though. As long as you maintain a 3.5 GPA when you graduate with a bachelors, you are guarenteed a spot in the next year's med school class. It may be only for Kentucky residents, but I'm not sure. And there are only 6 spots or so given every year, so it's EXTREMELY competitive.

Baylor University-Baylor College of Medicine
New York University College of Arts and Sciences-NYU Medicine
Texas A&M University Health Sciences Center also has a program in which selected high school students will be admitted to the medical school program without taking the MCAT. I don't know the other details, though.

Hey,

I'm in a 8 year BA/MD program at Virginia Commonwealth, which, although it's 8 years, unlike many programs, I don't take the MCATs, and am guaranteed to VCU/MCV. I asked around with my friends that applied to various programs, here's a small list....

Boston U.
Tufts
Nebraska
USC
East Carolina
Temple
Villanova
Ursinus
Old Dominion U.
George Mason U.
William and Mary (sorta...after freshman year)
Maryland (in state)
Wash. U. (new this year)
Texas A&M, both campi
U-Akron
Youngstown St.
kent State
Howard
George Washington
Brooklyn College
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Binghamton
Union College
Rensaleer
Siena
Brown
a lot more, but I can't remember. go to aamc.org, look around.

Don't forget about Michigan's 8-yr program. Their program is the best by far if you're comparing the caliber of medical schools between these programs.

ok the best programs:

NW
UCSD
Michigan
rice/baylor
U Pitt
USC
NYU

=)

don't apply to ucr/ucla. its pointless and dumb

As stated somewhere in this forum, Rice & Northwestern are the only "name-brand" BS-MD programs out there. Smart money is on Northwestern 'cos they afford you the option of leaving the program to become a "regular" MD wannabe.
MY opinion is that high school kids smart enuff to enter a BS-MD prog. are often smart and suave enuff to have decent stats/ EC's/other stuff, to crack into many "top 50" schools (if thats their thing, which it often is!!) when their senior yr trudges along. So why handicap yourself so early into the game. Oh well, thats my $0.002 (i know no such currency exists). Best of luck to ya.

er shekspear,

u don't consider u mich, usc, upitt, ucsd name schools? they r all ranked inside top 35...

I chose USC over Brown PLME and Northwestern HPME. USC gives many competitive academic merit scholarships... Most students in the B/MD program at USC are under scholarship. The program also allows you to apply out after 4 years which many students choose to do.
Graduates from the USC undergraduate program are very competitive, gaining admission to such top name medical schools as Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford among others. Entering a medical program that allows you to apply out such as USC's program is not a handicap in anyway. I mean, you are ALREADY GUARANTEED admission into a top medical school, in California. If you choose to go elsewhere, you also have that option. I don't see how this can be a handicap in any regard.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet:

Rutgers- New Brunswick has a 7 year program. You apply after Sophomore year of college. The really appealling thing about this one is that RWJMS is literally on the same campus in Piscataway, so you don't have to travel while taking college/med school classes. If you have any questions about that program, I suggest you contact the Health Professions Office at Rutgers: [email protected]

Good Luck!:)

hey guys,

i don't know if any of you are Missouri residents, but University of Missouri-Columbia (along with Kansas City-6 year) has another program called Conley Scholars--which is an 8-year B.S./M.D. program. It's really cheap if you're a Missouri resident...but I don't know much about the caliber of the med school. Primary care-wise, it's spectacular...but not research-wise.

Plus, I think there's a slim-to-none chance of getting in if you're not a Missouri Resident (the dean used to be my high school guidance counselor)!

Best of luck!

Originally posted by dr kevin40
er shekspear,

u don't consider u mich, usc, upitt, ucsd name schools? they r all ranked inside top 35...

yeah they are. glaring mistake on my part. but it still does not dilute my point, i think. peace

I would like to thank everyone for posting their opinions and info. I now know where to go for more information and I would also like to thank those of you who sent me a Private Message. THANK YOU ALL. :D

RPI has one with Albany Med.