HS Student that wants to pursue a career in Dentistry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phixate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am currently a junior at the nation's top 30 high schools. I am pretty embarrassed about posting my scores and numbers out there, but I currently have a 3.3 GPA non-weighted, and I plan to take the SAT this coming October and November. If I get around a 1900 or 2000, what are my options? I was considering UoP's dentistry 7-year program which has requirements that I should consider which are : 3.5 GPA, 1200 SAT combined (critical reading at least 600). Is there even a chance for me? I am currently in California and I wish to stay in this state but if I have to move to pursue a greater education that offers a great program and affordable costs, I am more than happy to move out there. Although many people may say this, but I am not in it for the money. The money may be a plus but I plan to travel to third world countries to help the poor that cannot afford the basic hygiene that us, Americans, take so much for granted. I acknowledge the fact that I have to have a financial background before I go on my mission in life and I am willing to put in the work, the time, and the effort to make this goal become true.
I have my junior panel tomorrow where teachers and parents of other children come and give advice and suggestions on what to do about my future education. They want me to come up with 7 colleges that I would like consider as my future schools but I can only come up with 1 that I really want to go to.
Obviously my GPA is going to be a problem, but I just want to ask do I even have a chance against other aspiring dentists? And what are some dentistry programs that I can apply without getting completely rejected, that are both great and affordable, while not leaving my home state?
Some of the extra curricular activities that I plan to put in my applications for colleges are:
Basketball Captain: Frosh, JV, Varsity
Volleyball Captain: JV and Varisty
Intern: During this summer and next year, I am going to intern at my friend's dad's dentistry where I hope to learn the basics.
Summer program: I applied for the Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC. I may not get in, but if I do :thumbup:
Journalist: Wrote for my communities' news for six months before having to leave for summer.

Members don't see this ad.

The homework for tomorrow would explain your 17 minutes of patience before bumping your thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't matter where you go as long as you keep a high gpa and get a high dat score. I would suggest a cheap school :thumbup:

Have you taken a lot of AP classes? If you have, you can probably graduate in 3 years undergrad without the need for pre-whatever programs, and have the flexibility of choice when it comes to schools you apply to (and hopefully are accepted at). If not, just do choose whatever you feel is best. If you can afford it, why not apply?

Have you taken a lot of AP classes? If you have, you can probably graduate in 3 years undergrad without the need for pre-whatever programs, and have the flexibility of choice when it comes to schools you apply to (and hopefully are accepted at). If not, just do choose whatever you feel is best. If you can afford it, why not apply?

So far, I have taken AP United States History and AP Statistics.

Just get into any 4 year university and get good grades. You're young now, enjoy your life and don't stress about these things.

Hello, I am currently a junior at the nation's top 30 high schools. I am pretty embarrassed about posting my scores and numbers out there, but I currently have a 3.3 GPA non-weighted, and I plan to take the SAT this coming October and November. If I get around a 1900 or 2000, what are my options? I was considering UoP's dentistry 7-year program which has requirements that I should consider which are : 3.5 GPA, 1200 SAT combined (critical reading at least 600). Is there even a chance for me? I am currently in California and I wish to stay in this state but if I have to move to pursue a greater education that offers a great program and affordable costs, I am more than happy to move out there. Although many people may say this, but I am not in it for the money. The money may be a plus but I plan to travel to third world countries to help the poor that cannot afford the basic hygiene that us, Americans, take so much for granted. I acknowledge the fact that I have to have a financial background before I go on my mission in life and I am willing to put in the work, the time, and the effort to make this goal become true.
I have my junior panel tomorrow where teachers and parents of other children come and give advice and suggestions on what to do about my future education. They want me to come up with 7 colleges that I would like consider as my future schools but I can only come up with 1 that I really want to go to.
Obviously my GPA is going to be a problem, but I just want to ask do I even have a chance against other aspiring dentists? And what are some dentistry programs that I can apply without getting completely rejected, that are both great and affordable, while not leaving my home state?
Some of the extra curricular activities that I plan to put in my applications for colleges are:
Basketball Captain: Frosh, JV, Varsity
Volleyball Captain: JV and Varisty
Intern: During this summer and next year, I am going to intern at my friend's dad's dentistry where I hope to learn the basics.
Summer program: I applied for the Ostrow School of Dentistry of USC. I may not get in, but if I do :thumbup:
Journalist: Wrote for my communities' news for six months before having to leave for summer.

Here are some facts:

"top 30 high school" literally means nothing. It has zero importance in the decision process (undergraduate or dental).

Your unweighted GPA represents a lack of effort in high school (which is one of the easiest educations you will receive in your life... Especially since you went to a "top 30" school which is probably giving you MANY MORE learning opportunities compared to other high schools). Most schools use the system I use and they will be able to click on your school name, see how many AP classes are offered, see the average student GPA, even see the average family income in the area. This is where a top 30 high school hurts you rather than helps.

Like others have said, CHEAPER is better. Do not waste your money on a "good" private school that may accept you. I would even suggest that you start at a community college, get a good GPA, and transfer to a cheap public school for your last two years.

2000 on the SAT is not going to pull much weight with a 3.3. And UOP 7 year program is probably not going to overlook your stats (http://www.pacific.edu/Admission/Undergraduate/Applying/Pre-Dentistry.html)

Lastly, you have 5 years until you need to think about which dental schools you want to get accepted to. I know you are excited... But, the truth is, right now you have a lot of ambiguities on your application. You have not taken the SAT/ACT, you have a 3.3, you do not know where you want to get accepted to and yet you are sure you want to be a dentist.

Get accepted to a university first, and THEN (and only then) should you start worrying about this.

If I was reading an app of a student with a 2350 SAT, a 4.0 unweighted GPA and tons of ECs, I wouldn't be surprised if they said "I eventually want to be a dentist"; however, you are asking this without the appropriate preparation.

You have come on here asking if you will have a chance and therefore you are asking us to evaluate high school performance in order to extrapolate. If high school performance is any indication of how well you will do in college then getting accepted to dental school is going to be an uphill battle for you.

If this sounds harsh... It is because I was on phone duty today... Which means I have to listen to PARENT after PARENT (never student) explain how we are missing out for not accepting their student. I even had a crying mother today say "F*#& you!" about 15 times. So, yeah.

Last edited:
I'm sorry sir. I'm just really anxious of what my future holds.

You keep this up and by time you graduate from dental school you will have more gray hair than Anderson Cooper.

Unreal. :eek:

I'm assuming you're an academic counselor of sorts - more like helicopter parent air traffic controller.

You just described my job more accurately than I have ever heard it described before... HAHA! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
If this sounds harsh... It is because I was on phone duty today... Which means I have to listen to PARENT after PARENT (never student) explain how we are missing out for not accepting their student. I even had a crying mother today say "F*#& you!" about 15 times. So, yeah.

How did you respond to all that? lol

You have come on here asking if you will have a chance and therefore you are asking us to evaluate high school performance in order to extrapolate. If high school performance is any indication of how well you will do in college then getting accepted to dental school is going to be an uphill battle for you.

This, high school means nothing (except for getting scholarships for undergrad) my high school gpa would have been about 0.5 (if we had GPAs, hippie schools have their upsides) dropped out and got a GED. My high school record was never asked for and no one at any interview ever asked why I had a GED and not a high school degree.

Here are some facts (things that I learned as an application reviewer for a top 25 university):

"top 30 high school" literally means nothing. It has zero importance in the decision process (undergraduate or dental).

Your unweighted GPA represents a lack of effort in high school (which is one of the easiest educations you will receive in your life... Especially since you went to a "top 30" school which is probably giving you MANY MORE learning opportunities compared to other high schools). Most schools use the system I use and they will be able to click on your school name, see how many AP classes are offered, see the average student GPA, even see the average family income in the area. This is where a top 30 high school hurts you rather than helps.

Like others have said, CHEAPER is better. Do not waste your money on a "good" private school that may accept you. I would even suggest that you start at a community college, get a good GPA, and transfer to a cheap public school for your last two years.

2000 on the SAT is not going to pull much weight with a 3.3. And UOP 7 year program is probably not going to overlook your stats (http://www.pacific.edu/Admission/Undergraduate/Applying/Pre-Dentistry.html)

Lastly, you have 5 years until you need to think about which dental schools you want to get accepted to. I know you are excited... But, the truth is, right now you have a lot of ambiguities on your application. You have not taken the SAT/ACT, you have a 3.3, you do not know where you want to get accepted to and yet you are sure you want to be a dentist.

Get accepted to a university first, and THEN (and only then) should you start worrying about this.

If I was reading an app of a student with a 2350 SAT, a 4.0 unweighted GPA and tons of ECs, I wouldn't be surprised if they said "I eventually want to be a dentist"; however, you are asking this without the appropriate preparation.

Wow. That was a dagger. To be honest that hurt, but instead of crying over it, I'm going to take it as constructive criticism. Damn, that makes me feel like I'm nothing but **** it. I'm still going to pursue my dream and although I realized my goals a little late, I'm going to do anything to achieve it!

Wow. That was a dagger. To be honest that hurt, but instead of crying over it, I'm going to take it as constructive criticism. Damn, that makes me feel like I'm nothing but **** it. I'm still going to pursue my dream and although I realized my goals a little late, I'm going to do anything to achieve it!

You didn't realize your goals late. I'm like at least 10 years older than you and just now applying. Just don't mess around in college and get good grades. Your college GPA will follow you for life, your high school GPA not so much. DO take the above post as constructive criticism and improve your study habits.

THIS IS THE DANG TRUTH..... MAKE COLLEGE YOUR BESTFRIEND... because it will haunt you if you do not lol....

THIS IS THE DANG TRUTH..... MAKE COLLEGE YOUR BESTFRIEND... because it will haunt you if you do not lol....

+1, the above statement embodies what I was trying to get across.

Dude, I had a biology prof that sent a mass email to the students saying:

1. I will only talk to you about your grades.
2. I will not talk to your parents about your grades.
3. Your parents are welcomed to come talk to me about grades, if they are enrolled in the class, but will only talk about their grades, and not their children's.

Then I had a physics prof that kicked out a parent and slammed the door on them after the parent tried to review their kid's exam.

It's insane the amount of time the parents invest in their kid's education, and they want the best payout for it. They will do all they can to give, what they feel, the best chance to succeed. I did not know the degree of parental involvement was such a big problem until I got to undergrad. In contrast, my parents just made sure I went to school, and that was their extent of caring.

Like everyone else said what highschool you came from does not really matter.
I know that uop's programs will not consider you if you are not above the minimum requirement, unless you have some kind of connections to the school/admissions office. However, you can still attend uop as a bio or biochem major and take the same classes as a pre-dent and get accepted that way. I have seen many many people do this

If I were you right now:
stay motivated and keep pursuing your goals. Break at least 2000 on the SAT/ACT (aim for 2100+++ tho) and go to a decent/good university that has a good science program. You dont necessarily have to attend an IVY league or top 30 university. In the eyes of dental schools as long as your GPA is outstanding and it is complemented by a good DAT score, with a well rounded application, you will be accepted somewhere.

Study your ass off in college and take as many classes as you can without hurting your GPA. Graduate early if you want, if not enjoy your 4 years and prepare well for your application early on. Shadow or volunteer and take classes every summer, while taking one of the summer to study for the DAT.

I recommend against a liberal arts college because you will not meet many people inside your major and you may goof/slack off and not work as hard as you should be to go to dental school. Of course this is different for everyone, but I know several people that hang with only business majors and just don't study enough to get good grades.

Good luck. Feel free to message me if you have any questions about uop or just the whole applying process.

Look, college is the one time in your life you get a clean slate on everything. Get into a college and make good grades. Your GPA becomes a lot more important.

And I personally don't recommend the 7 year UoP program even if you get in. Most of us had no idea we wanted to be dentists freshman year and your heart could change too. Don't commit to something without taking tougher science classes and doing a lot of shadowing.