HS Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTrbo12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, Im 17 and a Jr. in HS and I'm almost positive that I want to pursue a career in the Pharmacy Industry and I was wondering what would be some good ways to increase my chances/ help me get ready for college/pharmacy school?

--BTW next year I'm going to be taking AP Chem at my HS to try to transfer some credits over to college.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, Im 17 and a Jr. in HS and I'm almost positive that I want to pursue a career in the Pharmacy Industry and I was wondering what would be some good ways to increase my chances/ help me get ready for college/pharmacy school?

--BTW next year I'm going to be taking AP Chem at my HS to try to transfer some credits over to college.

Thanks!
dont mean to "bump" this I just am really curious on what I need to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduate high school or something.

I'm glad I got serious answers from you guys. your a bunch of &@@()*$@ haha but anyways I was wondering what classes are usually needed to get into Pharmacy School. (I know about the Chems & Bio's) im just wondering if there is anything else

I'm glad I got serious answers from you guys. your a bunch of &@@()*$@ haha but anyways I was wondering what classes are usually needed to get into Pharmacy School. (I know about the Chems & Bio's) im just wondering if there is anything else

First, I would just say that there's no need to respond like that to people who aren't being serious with you. Take the higher road, be more professional, and be more mature. That will serve you better in the long run.

Second, I would definitely take a look at some of the schools you might be interested in applying for and looking at their prerequisite list. Most schools have similar classes, but there ARE variations, so make sure you catch them all. A great place to start is PharmCAS.org, which is a common application for many of the pharmacy schools in the nation. I would also talk with your high school advisor about the possibility of enrolling in a 0+6 program straight out of high school, if you are absolutely sure.

One thing though, I noticed you mentioned Pharmacy Industry. Be careful with that terminology, because what it mean will vary. If you want to be a pharmacist that fills prescriptions and counsels patients, that is WAY different from a pharmacologist, or a pharmaceutical scientist. Be sure to do your research so that you can determine which path you really want to go. The latter two, you might be better also pursuing a Ph.D.

1) Research this board...there is a great deal of information in past posts.

2) Try to make yourself as "sellable" as possible, meaning doing extracurriculars and sports, having leadership duties, becoming a tutor, etc. (this is like applying to any college).

3) Get pharmacy experience. NOW! The more experience, the better. That way, you know for sure that you want to go into pharmacy since you would've seen what it's like. You can also learn a lot from pharmacists and develop good relationships (great for Letter of Recommendations...) Volunteer at a hospital pharmacy, and work at a retail pharmacy so you can have experience from both worlds.

4) If you're serious about pharmacy, then research the 2+6 schools that accept you as a pharmacist student in your freshman year. That way, you won't have to stress about getting in down the road.

5) Most importantly, but I'm sure you already know, make a good GPA (3.5+ to be safe) and a good PCAT score (90%+ to be pretty safe). However, not all pharm schools require a PCAT.

6) Develop some good study habits in high school. I never really had to study and got As and Bs. It's different in college! However, not all pharm schools require a PCAT.

7) If you want to get into pharm school after 2 or 3 years, you may want to consider going to community college to get your pre-reqs done. It'll save you money and can be easier (some people will disagree with me though...it's your call)

Just like what Binghamkid said, you can look at what schools' pre-reqs are on PharmCas.org. Most schools require GenChem 1-2, Biology, OrganicChem 1-2, Physics, Calculus, etc. on top of humanities electives.

Hope this helps. I know for a fact that I'm missing some other helpful tips. Just look around the forum like I said. Good luck!

4) If you're serious about pharmacy, then research the 2+6 schools that accept you as a pharmacist student in your freshman year. That way, you won't have to stress about getting in down the road.

^^ Thats what I want to do now that I can't play sports anymore due to numerous concussions but I tried to google schools that did that and I'm having a hard time getting a list of schools. I've also looked around the forums I just dont understand what I should be looking for..

but thanks for your help!

-----
edit: NVM, I found out that Duquesne has a 0-6 program and thats real close to me since I'm about 30 mins away from Pittsburgh.. But anyways thanks for all the help!

1)

Maybe inquirer89 meant 0+6 (where you get admitted right out of high school, for example University of the Sciences Philadelphia) or 2+4 (where you have to apply after completing two years of undergrad).

I got my degree first and went to work in a retail pharmacy. I completely agree with everyone who's mentioned that so far! Depending on your state requirements, as soon as you can get to work as a tech, go for it! Get your CPhT. Note: You DO NOT need to go through a community college class or tech school to get this. A lot of employers like Walgreens will offer coaching/study/review classes in your area, at no cost to you, and then pay the exam fee. Try retail, but also try other settings like hospital.

Going to a community college is generally a good idea but if you have certain schools in mind, check their requirements. Some schools, like MCHPS-Worcester came right out and said they "weigh" where you took your pre-reqs but I think that's a minority of schools. Honestly, that's how I completed my outstanding pre-reqs after my degree and I've had no issues because I was also working full time, paying for school out of my pocket, and the location was convenient. Build good relationships with your pre-req teachers/professors because they'll need to do recommendations for you.

Best advice is to make good grades in everything and apply to whatever school as early as you possibly can, it makes a world of difference!