hSDN Class of 2013

Hello again my friends of 2013.
I'd just like to say I hope that all of you guys are having a good summer.
I also have my Hospital Volunteer Orientation today, and I'm actually a little tiny bit nervous.
Anyways, I don't even know why I'm posting here, haha.
I know I'm late on the whole ~Hospital Volunteering Wagon.~ Haha.
I'd just like to see if any of you guys would like to share some volunteering experiences with me.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello again my friends of 2013.
I'd just like to say I hope that all of you guys are having a good summer.
I also have my Hospital Volunteer Orientation today, and I'm actually a little tiny bit nervous.
Anyways, I don't even know why I'm posting here, haha.
I know I'm late on the whole ~Hospital Volunteering Wagon.~ Haha.
I'd just like to see if any of you guys would like to share some volunteering experiences with me.
Thanks!

Listen to whoever is in charge of you says.
If you don't understand, ask questions.
Don't be sarcastic, it can come off as being a jerk.
Use common sense.
Try to enjoy what you're doing. It's not just for college apps.

Awesome! Thanks Ibu. And for sure on the enjoying the service, I'll make sure to keep that one in mind the whole time.
It's funny actually, today while I was in the room with all the other volunteers I couldn't help but notice how stressed out they looked.
[Then again, I guess this could simply be me projecting my feelings on them... but,]
I don't know, they just looked really stressed and they had their "helicopter parents" with them. I just wanted to go up to them and be like, "Hey, it'll be fine." Haha.
Anyways, yeah, I'm excited for this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Thanks Ibu. And for sure on the enjoying the service, I'll make sure to keep that one in mind the whole time.
It's funny actually, today while I was in the room with all the other volunteers I couldn't help but notice how stressed out they looked.
[Then again, I guess this could simply be me projecting my feelings on them... but,]
I don't know, they just looked really stressed and they had their "helicopter parents" with them. I just wanted to go up to them and be like, "Hey, it'll be fine." Haha.
Anyways, yeah, I'm excited for this opportunity.

What department will you be volunteering in, or do you not know yet?

I remember hospital volunteering...I hated it. I stood in the pharmacy for four hours every Sunday and restocked medications. It was awful.

Much happier I'm volunteering outside of the hospital now.

What department will you be volunteering in, or do you not know yet?

I don't know yet, haha. My interview is the 3rd of August.
The orientation I went to was just general stuff basically.

Hey Class of 2013! I'm new to SDN so hey :D So is anyone going to any of these uni's for their undergrad studies?:
-Penn State University Park
-University of Delaware
-University of Maryland College Park
-Temple University
-UConn

I volunteer at my local hospital, and I am in the same year as you. I have been volunteering since summer started and while I enjoy and appreciate the fact that I get the exposure to the hospital and patients in high school, the actual work that we are allowed to do as volunteers is not the most exciting.

I volunteer for eight hours, once a week. (Four hours in the Radiology and four in the Cardiovascular and Monitored Surgery Nurses Stations) In both of the stations I am allowed to restock supplies, take ice/ snacks to patients, and answer the call button. And that's about it. CV is preop and post-op recovery, so some of the surgical residents come by our station and I get some exposure that way. (Mostly listening to them talk to the nurses as well as occasional questions on my part.) There's also a lot of downtime when there isn't much to do.

Lol, I don't do **** when I volunteer. I just restock stuff for the nurses for about 30 minutes, and the rest of the3 hours and 30 minutes is mine. Usually, I just get food and watch TV in the cafeteria and chill with my phone. Most people, including me, don't do anything when they "volunteer". It's a joke.

Also, I got my AP scores a while back, but I never posted them...

AP US 4
AP Lang 5
AP Gov 5
AP Psych 5

I'm pretty thrilled! :D

Awesome! Congratulations on those scores.
Oh, and also thanks for the little run down on the volunteering. :)

Sorry about the double post, but,
The Common Application has arrived!
Here's to the many sleepless nights that are bound to be brought forth by college applications.
Good luck to all of you in my class, and cheers to a good senior year!
[It's late and I get emotional, sorry.]

Do I qualify if I'm class of 2012 but taking a gap year...applying next year?
:scared:
:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I qualify if I'm class of 2012 but taking a gap year...applying next year?
:scared:
:laugh:

Well, technically, your class of 2012 for HS, but for college, your class of 2017 ;) but it's nice that you're taking a gap year. What will you do for it?

Hey, fellow seniors! I've been lurking on SDN for forever and just decided it was about time for me to make an account. I'm an aspiring doctor planning to major in either graphic design or studio art. What are you guys planning to major in?

I'm planning to major in Biology, minor in Dance and Medical Humanities

That's a cool combination. What style of dance do you study? I used to take ballet classes. So challenging but fun! Lol

Sooo, how close are you guys with applications?

Just started 3 of 5 I need to fill out. Haven't started any essays. Damn. Also retaking SAT in Nov. On top of this, I have a huge year long senior HS project to do while maintaining 3.0+ gpa this semmy.

Oh, and my major will be Computer Science. Some of my colleges don't offer that so for those cases I went with CIS (Computer Information Science) - though, I'm not particularly fond with the scope of interest with that degree so I may end up changing it if it comes down to that.

I graduate in 2012, but in mid-December and won't be starting college until spring semester 2013 (and probably graduating in 2017).... So I guess I belong here?

Anyway, I've put in most of my applications already as the deadline for January start applications is November 1st. My top choices are University of Chicago, Northwestern, Loyola University Chicago, Boston University, and Northeastern, but Loyola is far ahead of the rest. And I think my major will be Bio on the pre-med track.

I actually haven't completed my applications to UofC and Northwestern and probably won't since they don't do January start and I would likely not get in. Also, all the advice on this forum seems to be to choose the cheaper and less competitive university you like the best... which for me is Loyola.

I'm pumped, I'll be out of high school in a month and a half, and in college a month after that.

Last edited:
Class of 2013 representing.

Looking to major in Biology, not sure about 2nd major and minor if possible.

I'm done with all my applications! :) Then again, I only did 3 apps. And I already was accepted to one of them! :)

The only thing I have to do now is anxiously wait for the two other colleges to release their decisions.

I'm basically sure about one major--math. I would like to take several courses in Chemistry and Arabic though, but I'm not sure if I would pursue a major or minor in either one of them.

khatz, good luck on your project.

I'm applying to one more school now...

But this one has the most essays by far! :(

Where are all the fellow 13ers?

I'm applying to one more school now...

But this one has the most essays by far! :(

Where are all the fellow 13ers?

After much poking and prodding, my recommendations are all done and my transcript has been submitted to all my schools. So everything is done on my end, and the waiting begins. Hopefully I'll hear from the majority of my schools in the next few weeks, as all my applications are for January or are early action.

I'm actually kind of sad the process is over for me. Being stuck at a boarding school while all my friends have gone off to college has been tough. My applications have taken my mind off the present and made me really look forward to college.

I hope your situation with your friends gets better. Don't you have any friends from your own grade at your school though?

And don't be sad the process is over! You should be happy. So many people at my school skipped on Halloween or were frantically finishing up things to send in applications. I, on the other hand, didn't have that problem. :D

I decided against applying to the 4th school (Rice) b/c of distance and tuition. Plus Michigan is just such a great school and at in-state tuition it's perfect.

My final list is UMichigan (EA), Case Western (EA), and Michigan State (Accepted!).

What's your final list, Pierce?

Luckily I've been able to visit friends at their colleges, which is really fun. But it's too far to go every weekend.

I wish I'd been able to go out this Halloween, but it was all but cancelled where I live. I'm on the east coast, and we really got hit hard by hurricane Sandy.

My final list (heavily focused on top 3):
- Loyola University Chicago
- Boston University
- Northeastern University
- Fordham University
- Emmanuel College Boston

Last edited:
Nice to meet you dancer. I've heard South Carolina has an excellent honors college.

Don't go to OSU! (Prejudice from being from Michigan :D)

Pierce, I'm sorry about the hurricane. I hope Sandy didn't do too much damage. It sounds like your school is filled with a few of the kids from my school-- a bunch of druggies. Ugh. I couldn't take being in a school of only 30. I hope the surgeries went all right for you. :)

OSU sucks

:thumbup:

/School Pride

Seriously, though, Ohio State is a great school but I wouldn't consider it w/ out-of-state costs. South Carolina would be better if larger schools are to your liking, dancer.

Just got accepted to Northeastern for the spring semester! I'm glowing right now, finally I know I'm definitely going to somewhere great for college.

Just got accepted to Northeastern for the spring semester! I'm glowing right now, finally I know I'm definitely going to somewhere great for college.

Congrats on your acceptance!!! :) Great to know that our generation isn't as hopeless as people seem to think.