hSDN Class of 2014

@futuresurgeon00 Our prom is April 26th :) I still have to buy my boutonniere supplies because I'm making my own.

Members don't see this ad.

AP Calculus test in 20 days. To anyone out there taking the test/class how do you guys feel? My calc teacher straight up told us he didn't prepare us well enough for it. But that's no excuse, still studying from the Barron's AP Calc review book!

Kinda scared

I'm taking the Calc exam. There's really no point as I've already qualified for the right math at ASU with the placement test.

Members don't see this ad :)
? Which math you taking? To take MAT 271 (Calc 2) you need MAT 270 Calc 1 credit. They wouldn't let me sign up for Calc 2 until I got my AP scores but I talked to some lady in the math department and she did an override for the pre-requisites!

? Which math you taking? To take MAT 271 (Calc 2) you need MAT 270 Calc 1 credit. They wouldn't let me sign up for Calc 2 until I got my AP scores but I talked to some lady in the math department and she did an override for the pre-requisites!

I need MAT 210 and MAT 211.

Actually, if I get a good AP score I would only have to take MAT 211.

I could do MAT 270 and 271, but I suck at Trig lol so I didn't place into it. We'll see after the AP test if I get credit for it.

Last edited:
Ah that makes sense! Yeah the placment test was hard, especially the trig part! Barely got into calc 1.

What was your final major again?

Ah that makes sense! Yeah the placment test was hard, especially the trig part! Barely got into calc 1.

What was your final major again?

Right now I'm trying to do Economics from WP Carey. Advisor said quite a few people went this path and got into med school. I wanna see how the pre-reqs will fit in.

Okay so I was looking through my major map and O-Chem, Bio 182, and Physics 1 all in the same semester. Is that considered crazy? That's 3 science classes at once. Has anyone else out there done this? Good idea?

Okay so I was looking through my major map and O-Chem, Bio 182, and Physics 1 all in the same semester. Is that considered crazy? That's 3 science classes at once. Has anyone else out there done this? Good idea?

You aren't gonna want to take Ochem with those unless you only take 12 credit hours.

Hi, Im late to this thread but I'm jumping in anyway. :p Class of 2014 girl here. Im going to the University at Buffalo to study Biomedical Sciences undergrad.. and my career aspiration is to become a internal medicine doc, maybe specialize in endocrinology. How Im spending my summer: Working at a hospital inpatient pharmacy for six weeks, like Ive been doing for the past two summers. :cat:

Members don't see this ad :)
What up! What do you do at the inpatient pharmacy? You get paid?! That's pretty cool, how'd you get the gig?

Yes, I get paid, about 8 dollars an hour, and I work 20 hours a week. I basically do everything the pharmacy technicians do! I fill prescriptions, sign off on them, package pills, check expiration dates, file papers, take prescriptions up to patient floors to the nurses station, combine IV bags and other drugs in a sterile room, and sometimes I'm allowed to package the narcotics. :laugh:

How I got the gig: I go to a program called Medical STEP (Science Technology Entry Program) for minorities or economically disadvantaged people.. I'm a mixed chick :) , and you just show up on Saturdays and take part in biology, technology and math lectures, and you get to do some hands on stuff every once in a while (I love the cadaver labs!!) and there's a summer component in which you are allowed to shadow a doctor, or work at a hospital or dentists office, and the pharmacy just loves me, so for the past I guess now 2 summers, I've been doing that during my summer vacations. :smuggrin:

I'm bragging.. I feel like I'm bragging.. whoops :( But yeah.. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I get paid, about 8 dollars an hour, and I work 20 hours a week. I basically do everything the pharmacy technicians do! I fill prescriptions, sign off on them, package pills, check expiration dates, file papers, take prescriptions up to patient floors to the nurses station, combine IV bags and other drugs in a sterile room, and sometimes I'm allowed to package the narcotics. :laugh:

How I got the gig: I go to a program called Medical STEP (Science Technology Entry Program) for minorities or economically disadvantaged people.. I'm a mixed chick :) , and you just show up on Saturdays and take part in biology, technology and math lectures, and you get to do some hands on stuff every once in a while (I love the cadaver labs!!) and there's a summer component in which you are allowed to shadow a doctor, or work at a hospital or dentists office, and the pharmacy just loves me, so for the past I guess now 2 summers, I've been doing that during my summer vacations. :smuggrin:

Holy crap that is actually pretty cool! You get all kinds of exposure haha! The only cool thing I've done is shadow a surgeon and scrubbed in for surgery!

Holy crap that is actually pretty cool! You get all kinds of exposure haha! The only cool thing I've done is shadow a surgeon and scrubbed in for surgery!
AH! Scrubbing in for surgery sounds so cool!! Well.. mainly because I'm just a little obsessed with Grey's Anatomy! I'm hoping to get more exposure like that during college, probably not surgery.. I'm not really a shark.. Surgery definitely isn't for me! Plus... I'm really uncoordinated... :laugh: But I really want to shadow an internist or Family Practice doctor.. :)

AH! Scrubbing in for surgery sounds so cool!! Well.. mainly because I'm just a little obsessed with Grey's Anatomy! I'm hoping to get more exposure like that during college, probably not surgery.. I'm not really a shark.. Surgery definitely isn't for me! Plus... I'm really uncoordinated... :laugh: But I really want to shadow an internist or Family Practice doctor.. :)

Omg I've watched like 10 episodes of Grey's Anatomy in the last 3 days. Haha I heard about the show a little late and am trying to catch up! Season 2 episode 21-ish! That show is amazing! How far are you into the show?

Haha..:happy: I've probably seen every episode... at least 4 times.. :laugh: I'm just a little obsessed...:nod: It's actually a problem.. (the only show I watch apart from Trauma: Life in the E.R. and SpongeBob...) :D:shrug:

haha the classics. For some reason I can never find Life in the E.R anymore, used to watch it all the time! Yeah grey's anatomy is really addicting! Btw, Patrick is my favorite in spongebob

Oh my gawd! Super addicting, at school I'm basically known for my obsession... in a good way though!! AND I LOVE PATRICK!!

Oh my gawd! Super addicting, at school I'm basically known for my obsession... in a good way though!! AND I LOVE PATRICK!!

He's the best! I like 1st hour cause I have TA and I can go on SDN! When do you guys graduate? May 23rd for me!!!!!!!

That is very cool! I have actually been volunteering in the outpatient pharmacy at the hospital, but I am going to move up to the clinical lab area in the next month or so.

That is very cool! I have actually been volunteering in the outpatient pharmacy at the hospital, but I am going to move up to the clinical lab area in the next month or so.
Ah! That's so cool! I just hate that a lot of people (it seems like) don't really see working in a pharmacy as helping you when it comes to applying to medical school. I only work during the summers, and was actually offered a paid position during the year once I graduate, but from the threads on SDN, it seems like people don't see the experience as valuable, so I have no clue if I'd want to take the job during college. :( They want more clinical type experiences. grr...

Ah! That's so cool! I just hate that a lot of people (it seems like) don't really see working in a pharmacy as helping you when it comes to applying to medical school. I only work during the summers, and was actually offered a paid position during the year once I graduate, but from the threads on SDN, it seems like people don't see the experience as valuable, so I have no clue if I'd want to take the job during college. :( They want more clinical type experiences. grr...

Exposure to pharmacy is something of value in my eyes, regardless if someone intends on entering that field or not. I chose to volunteer in the outpatient pharmacy first, to get a better glimpse at their field of work then move on to other areas of the hospital/field. Otherwise, I could have instantly went straight the lab area or emergency room etc.

That's mainly why I chose pharmacy! I was placed there one summer, and kept deciding to go back because of the value of the work. I mean, in about 3 or 4 years, or whenever I apply to medical school, technically, as far as exposure goes, I think that seeing the side of healthcare that pharmacy exposes you to, will help to make me a well rounded doctor, being able to get that exposure... It will make you more conscientious of how to talk to staff in certain departments, understanding what they go through.. I've heard the techs say some really bad stuff about some doctors and nurses. Of course, I would shadow a few doctors and get a bit of clinical exposure, but I think that the pharmacy experience is good now that I think about it.. and now I'm ranting, and being repetitive.... I should really be quiet now..

Omg I've watched like 10 episodes of Grey's Anatomy in the last 3 days. Haha I heard about the show a little late and am trying to catch up! Season 2 episode 21-ish! That show is amazing! How far are you into the show?

Love the show too :) Watched Season 6,7 and 8 this weekend - I needed my Lil'Grey + McSteamy....- yay for long weekends! :)

He's the best! I like 1st hour cause I have TA and I can go on SDN! When do you guys graduate? May 23rd for me!!!!!!!

Lucky :( June 26th (That's graduation day) - but exams end June 24th (latest)....Any other plans for the summer? (Mediterranian Cruise for 3 weeks, and then working at my swim school full time for summer (and weekends at a doctor's clinic) - for me)

People on hSDN be like - My whole life I've always wanted to become a doctor *Is 13 years old* lolol

Reactions: 1 users
Georgetown University class of 2018! Go Hoyas!

Hope to get in their guaranteed med program after sophomore year, wouldn't have to take the MCAT!

Georgetown University class of 2018! Go Hoyas!

Hope to get in their guaranteed med program after sophomore year, wouldn't have to take the MCAT!

I have several friends who did this. Not too hard to get in. Good luck!

I have several friends who did this. Not too hard to get in. Good luck!

Awesome. Do you remember what kind of grades and shadowing/volunteer hours they had? From what my dad has heard, the unofficial GPA cutoff seems to be a 3.2.

Yo Matt, I heard they have a course at Georgetown on the relationship between Jay-Z and Kanye west? That's pretty cool, and btw good luck on the program man! That's be awesome, not having to take the MCAT.

Yo Matt, I heard they have a course at Georgetown on the relationship between Jay-Z and Kanye west? That's pretty cool, and btw good luck on the program man! That's be awesome, not having to take the MCAT.

They might! I haven't seen any classes besides my major and gen ed reqs. Thanks brah! I know you'll like asu.

Hey guys! I'm back after being gone for over a year. I had left because I felt that me wanting to be a part of the medical field was me trying to live the life my parents wanted and not my own. So, that is when I discovered my underlying love for business as I've been interested in it since the recession started. However, I have doubts about that and keep having a nagging feeling about becoming a doctor and this is why I'm back. I will be attending Dartmouth College this fall and I'm so excited and will just take my days there one step at a time.

What would y'all do if you ended up not going to med/dental/health school?

I would go into healthcare management and hope to become a hospital COO or CEO down the line.

Ehh.. If I ended up not going to med school, I'd go to PA school, or nursing school. I can't see myself doing anything but caring for people. But I will get into med school, so I'm not worried. ;)

As of now, if I don't play my cards right for vet school, I would utilize my chem degree, probably get my masters in cosmetic science and eventually become a cosmetic chemist. It's still in the air for me though, I'm interested in a lot of things.

What would y'all do if you ended up not going to med/dental/health school?

I would go into healthcare management and hope to become a hospital COO or CEO down the line.

Get a PhD in whatever I was studying and then reapply, if I get in then, I'd be a badass MD/PhD!

On that note, tomorrow is the last day of school! :)/(

Back to the gym after like 6 months of slacking lol. So sore from lifting weight I used to easily be able to lift. Gonna be a long summer.

What are y'all doing this summer?

So I got 5 credit hours of chemistry credit from my college...must have gotten a 5. Too bad med schools don't care lol.

I took Bio/Orgo/Physics last semester and I'll be doing it again this coming semester. It really isn't that bad, you just gotta make sure that you're not fooling around outside of classes.

I've never heard of that before! Sounds really interesting! :eek: My back-up if I don't get into vet school is to get a masters in Biochemistry and become a Biochemist.

Yep :) It's different and interesting. Another funny thing is, that I registered for a class the introduces secondary education in the sciences and teaching chemistry would be pretty sweet. But, being a veterinarian would be even more sweet lol.

Congrats to everyone graduating! And to those going off to college. Study hard!

Georgetown Medicine (M.D.) Alumni
Orthopaedic Surgery Resident
================
For medical/nursing/dental school/college essay or application review: www.fiverr.com/awebbster_1982
Like my page at: www. facebook.com/awebbmd

Hey, I see that you went to Georgetown Medical School. Did you also go there for undergrad? I'm going to Georgetown for undergrad at the NHS school this fall. How did you like it?

I'm also interested in Ortho, congrats.

What's everyone up to? College starts in 2 weeks :O

Same here 2 weeks before move in.

When we gonna move to the real SDN forums? Is there a thread for us?

Dude I was wondering the same. How does that work? Class of 2018 or 2022 thread! Lmao