hSDN users, read my story. Don't drop out of high school.

besmart

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please stay in school. Here is my story. When I was in high school, I was called dumb, stupid, and got picked on left and right. I was one of the least popular and spoken to students in high school. I got made fun of because of my huge muscles. I had a 2.25 GPA in high school (dead serious). I even got a 15 on my ACT (a moneky can get a 15). On the Saturday I took the ACT, I was asked by the most popular student in my graduating class why I bothered to show up to take the ACT. I flat out told him, I never said I was not going to go to college.

So graduation came and I graduated. Right after I graduated I moved away to a new city all by myself. I worked a bunch of different jobs for two years trying to find something that I could stand working. I couldn't find anything. One day I was looking for the most basic jobs there is at the local hospital. There was a Patient Transporter job posting. The job advertisement made the position sound like it was very basic work. So I said, "what the hell, might as well just apply to it." So a few months went by while I was unemployed and I got called in for an interview. A couple of weeks later I was hired as a Patient Transporter.

When I started the job, the co-workers thought I was in high school. I didn't talk to anyone. When I started training, it took me only two days to catch on to everything that the job required. I was asked if I was one of the A students in high school. I just said no. So I was giving my own freedom on the job on only my third day on the job.

A year went by with that job and I started to really enjoy it. So I started to spend time at the local medical library and was amazed at the stuff I was reading (even though I couldn't even pronounce the word DNA). So I checked out several basic science books (genetics, cell) and read the books. It took me months to understand any of it, but I fell in love with the material.

So I asked my boss if I could start a medical assisting degree at the local tech school. She said I could. Before I could take a class, I had to see if I could add, subtract, divide, and write English. I failed the test (yes, I'm serious). I told my boss that I failed the entry test and I couldn't go to school. My boss told me just to learn how to write English, learn the very basics of math and retake the test again. So I spent a few months doing that. So I took the test again. I passed the English part but failed the math part again, by only two points. So I got a tutor to help me learn math. So I took the test again in a couple of weeks later. I passed the math exam by 1 point.

So my first classes at the tech school were high school level math and English classes. I aced all of the courses. The next semester I took pharmacology, medical terminology, business ethics, and another course. I got a 3.5 GPA. At that moment I knew I could do this. I knew I could become a medical assistant. I was so happy. So that summer I spent most of my free time at the local medical library just reading medical/science journals and reading books. I started to become comfortable with the material and knew I could do better then being a medical assistant.

So that fall I started at the community college. I failed college algebra my first semester (retook it and got an A) but I got an A in genetics. I got put on probation. The next semester I got above a 2.0 GPA and was taken off probation. The next school year was better. By the time I transferred to a four year college, I had a 3.0 GPA...IN COLLEGE. I was pumped. I knew I could better my life.

Even though I was happy with how I did at the community college, I was stupid to do it on my own. I found out that I didn't know how to study, how to take exams, how to take notes, or anything like that. As a result, I did bad my first year at the new college. My adviser told me I had to better. From that point on, I have a raising GPA every semester.

Now I have a B.S. degree in biology. I spoke with every single admissions counselor for the medical schools I plan on apply to and I explained my academic history and my work history.

Now I just have to retake the courses that I got Cs in and I can apply to medical school. I got a practice MCAT score of 33.

They all said that I'm a very strong applicant because of my upward GPA, potential MCAT score (just have to replicate it), and my work history (my work history involves a lot of stuff that I've been doing over the years).

Edit: I still have never stopped reading textbooks on my own nor stopped reading journals.

For everything that I do in my life since I left for college, I owe everything to my boss that hired me for that hospital position. I flat out told her she was the savior of my life. Without her, I would have been a nobody. She said she hired me because I was a nice person and I was a young and healthy body that could take the abusive work that the job entailed. Little did she know that she allowed a person that was loss a chance to discover what he/she (sorry, not going to say if I'm a male for female) is good at in life.

I didn't know how to pronounce the word DNA because I didn't take any hard science classes in high school. I never exposed myself to science in high school because I thought I was too stupid.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Heroes never give up ! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Please stay in school. Here is my story. When I was in high school, I was called dumb, stupid, and got picked on left and right. I was one of the least popular and spoken to students in high school. I got made fun of because of my huge muscles. I had a 2.25 GPA in high school (dead serious). I even got a 15 on my ACT (a moneky can get a 15). On the Saturday I took the ACT, I was asked by the most popular student in my graduating class why I bothered to show up to take the ACT. I flat out told him, I never said I was not going to go to college.

So graduation came and I graduated. Right after I graduated I moved away to a new city all by myself. I worked a bunch of different jobs for two years trying to find something that I could stand working. I couldn't find anything. One day I was looking for the most basic jobs there is at the local hospital. There was a Patient Transporter job posting. The job advertisement made the position sound like it was very basic work. So I said, "what the hell, might as well just apply to it." So a few months went by while I was unemployed and I got called in for an interview. A couple of weeks later I was hired as a Patient Transporter.

When I started the job, the co-workers thought I was in high school. I didn't talk to anyone. When I started training, it took me only two days to catch on to everything that the job required. I was asked if I was one of the A students in high school. I just said no. So I was giving my own freedom on the job on only my third day on the job.

A year went by with that job and I started to really enjoy it. So I started to spend time at the local medical library and was amazed at the stuff I was reading (even though I couldn't even pronounce the word DNA). So I checked out several basic science books (genetics, cell) and read the books. It took me months to understand any of it, but I fell in love with the material.

So I asked my boss if I could start a medical assisting degree at the local tech school. She said I could. Before I could take a class, I had to see if I could add, subtract, divide, and write English. I failed the test (yes, I'm serious). I told my boss that I failed the entry test and I couldn't go to school. My boss told me just to learn how to write English, learn the very basics of math and retake the test again. So I spent a few months doing that. So I took the test again. I passed the English part but failed the math part again, by only two points. So I got a tutor to help me learn math. So I took the test again in a couple of weeks later. I passed the math exam by 1 point.

So my first classes at the tech school were high school level math and English classes. I aced all of the courses. The next semester I took pharmacology, medical terminology, business ethics, and another course. I got a 3.5 GPA. At that moment I knew I could do this. I knew I could become a medical assistant. I was so happy. So that summer I spent most of my free time at the local medical library just reading medical/science journals and reading books. I started to become comfortable with the material and knew I could do better then being a medical assistant.

So that fall I started at the community college. I failed college algebra my first semester (retook it and got an A) but I got an A in genetics. I got put on probation. The next semester I got above a 2.0 GPA and was taken off probation. The next school year was better. By the time I transferred to a four year college, I had a 3.0 GPA...IN COLLEGE. I was pumped. I knew I could better my life.

Even though I was happy with how I did at the community college, I was stupid to do it on my own. I found out that I didn't know how to study, how to take exams, how to take notes, or anything like that. As a result, I did bad my first year at the new college. My adviser told me I had to better. From that point on, I have a raising GPA every semester.

Now I have a B.S. degree in biology. I spoke with every single admissions counselor for the medical schools I plan on apply to and I explained my academic history and my work history.

Now I just have to retake the courses that I got Cs in and I can apply to medical school. I got a practice MCAT score of 33.

They all said that I'm a very strong applicant because of my upward GPA, potential MCAT score (just have to replicate it), and my work history (my work history involves a lot of stuff that I've been doing over the years).

Edit: I still have never stopped reading textbooks on my own nor stopped reading journals.

For everything that I do in my life since I left for college, I owe everything to my boss that hired me for that hospital position. I flat out told her she was the savior of my life. Without her, I would have been a nobody. She said she hired me because I was a nice person and I was a young and healthy body that could take the abusive work that the job entailed. Little did she know that she allowed a person that was loss a chance to discover what he/she (sorry, not going to say if I'm a male for female) is good at in life.

I didn't know how to pronounce the word DNA because I didn't take any hard science classes in high school. I never exposed myself to science in high school because I thought I was too stupid.

Very inspiring story. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Very inspiring story

Did u ever think of going to the popular boys in ure high school that im in med school/med position??

Very inspiring story

Did u ever think of going to the popular boys in ure high school that im in med school/med position??

I added them to Facebook so I can do that in that fashion instead of face-to-face. I'm not in medical school yet though.

I don't know but I don't get why you guys find it so amusing either....

Haaa sry Besmart...but the line through your name kinda makes it look different. Stand out from the crowd!

Must be banned cuz of Facebook-:(oops I said it. I hope I don't get banned..we'll see!

I don't know but I don't get why you guys find it so amusing either....

lol I don't know...I just thought it was funny. He wrote a lengthy story like that just to get banned??

Possibly because he was re-opening a subject that the Mods obviously didn't want on here...

Possibly because he was re-opening a subject that the Mods obviously didn't want on here...

Can a mod close this thread please. Even though my name is in my userid, I do not want a thread title with my full name on it. If that makes any sense.

hmm... I'm out of guesses then.