hSDN users, read my story. Don't drop out of high school.

Started by besmart
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

besmart

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please stay in school. Here is my story. When I was in high school, I was called dumb, stupid, and got picked on left and right. I was one of the least popular and spoken to students in high school. I got made fun of because of my huge muscles. I had a 2.25 GPA in high school (dead serious). I even got a 15 on my ACT (a moneky can get a 15). On the Saturday I took the ACT, I was asked by the most popular student in my graduating class why I bothered to show up to take the ACT. I flat out told him, I never said I was not going to go to college.

So graduation came and I graduated. Right after I graduated I moved away to a new city all by myself. I worked a bunch of different jobs for two years trying to find something that I could stand working. I couldn't find anything. One day I was looking for the most basic jobs there is at the local hospital. There was a Patient Transporter job posting. The job advertisement made the position sound like it was very basic work. So I said, "what the hell, might as well just apply to it." So a few months went by while I was unemployed and I got called in for an interview. A couple of weeks later I was hired as a Patient Transporter.

When I started the job, the co-workers thought I was in high school. I didn't talk to anyone. When I started training, it took me only two days to catch on to everything that the job required. I was asked if I was one of the A students in high school. I just said no. So I was giving my own freedom on the job on only my third day on the job.

A year went by with that job and I started to really enjoy it. So I started to spend time at the local medical library and was amazed at the stuff I was reading (even though I couldn't even pronounce the word DNA). So I checked out several basic science books (genetics, cell) and read the books. It took me months to understand any of it, but I fell in love with the material.

So I asked my boss if I could start a medical assisting degree at the local tech school. She said I could. Before I could take a class, I had to see if I could add, subtract, divide, and write English. I failed the test (yes, I'm serious). I told my boss that I failed the entry test and I couldn't go to school. My boss told me just to learn how to write English, learn the very basics of math and retake the test again. So I spent a few months doing that. So I took the test again. I passed the English part but failed the math part again, by only two points. So I got a tutor to help me learn math. So I took the test again in a couple of weeks later. I passed the math exam by 1 point.

So my first classes at the tech school were high school level math and English classes. I aced all of the courses. The next semester I took pharmacology, medical terminology, business ethics, and another course. I got a 3.5 GPA. At that moment I knew I could do this. I knew I could become a medical assistant. I was so happy. So that summer I spent most of my free time at the local medical library just reading medical/science journals and reading books. I started to become comfortable with the material and knew I could do better then being a medical assistant.

So that fall I started at the community college. I failed college algebra my first semester (retook it and got an A) but I got an A in genetics. I got put on probation. The next semester I got above a 2.0 GPA and was taken off probation. The next school year was better. By the time I transferred to a four year college, I had a 3.0 GPA...IN COLLEGE. I was pumped. I knew I could better my life.

Even though I was happy with how I did at the community college, I was stupid to do it on my own. I found out that I didn't know how to study, how to take exams, how to take notes, or anything like that. As a result, I did bad my first year at the new college. My adviser told me I had to better. From that point on, I have a raising GPA every semester.

Now I have a B.S. degree in biology. I spoke with every single admissions counselor for the medical schools I plan on apply to and I explained my academic history and my work history.

Now I just have to retake the courses that I got Cs in and I can apply to medical school. I got a practice MCAT score of 33.

They all said that I'm a very strong applicant because of my upward GPA, potential MCAT score (just have to replicate it), and my work history (my work history involves a lot of stuff that I've been doing over the years).

Edit: I still have never stopped reading textbooks on my own nor stopped reading journals.

For everything that I do in my life since I left for college, I owe everything to my boss that hired me for that hospital position. I flat out told her she was the savior of my life. Without her, I would have been a nobody. She said she hired me because I was a nice person and I was a young and healthy body that could take the abusive work that the job entailed. Little did she know that she allowed a person that was loss a chance to discover what he/she (sorry, not going to say if I'm a male for female) is good at in life.

I didn't know how to pronounce the word DNA because I didn't take any hard science classes in high school. I never exposed myself to science in high school because I thought I was too stupid.
 
Last edited:
Heroes never give up ! 👍👍👍

Please stay in school. Here is my story. When I was in high school, I was called dumb, stupid, and got picked on left and right. I was one of the least popular and spoken to students in high school. I got made fun of because of my huge muscles. I had a 2.25 GPA in high school (dead serious). I even got a 15 on my ACT (a moneky can get a 15). On the Saturday I took the ACT, I was asked by the most popular student in my graduating class why I bothered to show up to take the ACT. I flat out told him, I never said I was not going to go to college.

So graduation came and I graduated. Right after I graduated I moved away to a new city all by myself. I worked a bunch of different jobs for two years trying to find something that I could stand working. I couldn't find anything. One day I was looking for the most basic jobs there is at the local hospital. There was a Patient Transporter job posting. The job advertisement made the position sound like it was very basic work. So I said, "what the hell, might as well just apply to it." So a few months went by while I was unemployed and I got called in for an interview. A couple of weeks later I was hired as a Patient Transporter.

When I started the job, the co-workers thought I was in high school. I didn't talk to anyone. When I started training, it took me only two days to catch on to everything that the job required. I was asked if I was one of the A students in high school. I just said no. So I was giving my own freedom on the job on only my third day on the job.

A year went by with that job and I started to really enjoy it. So I started to spend time at the local medical library and was amazed at the stuff I was reading (even though I couldn't even pronounce the word DNA). So I checked out several basic science books (genetics, cell) and read the books. It took me months to understand any of it, but I fell in love with the material.

So I asked my boss if I could start a medical assisting degree at the local tech school. She said I could. Before I could take a class, I had to see if I could add, subtract, divide, and write English. I failed the test (yes, I'm serious). I told my boss that I failed the entry test and I couldn't go to school. My boss told me just to learn how to write English, learn the very basics of math and retake the test again. So I spent a few months doing that. So I took the test again. I passed the English part but failed the math part again, by only two points. So I got a tutor to help me learn math. So I took the test again in a couple of weeks later. I passed the math exam by 1 point.

So my first classes at the tech school were high school level math and English classes. I aced all of the courses. The next semester I took pharmacology, medical terminology, business ethics, and another course. I got a 3.5 GPA. At that moment I knew I could do this. I knew I could become a medical assistant. I was so happy. So that summer I spent most of my free time at the local medical library just reading medical/science journals and reading books. I started to become comfortable with the material and knew I could do better then being a medical assistant.

So that fall I started at the community college. I failed college algebra my first semester (retook it and got an A) but I got an A in genetics. I got put on probation. The next semester I got above a 2.0 GPA and was taken off probation. The next school year was better. By the time I transferred to a four year college, I had a 3.0 GPA...IN COLLEGE. I was pumped. I knew I could better my life.

Even though I was happy with how I did at the community college, I was stupid to do it on my own. I found out that I didn't know how to study, how to take exams, how to take notes, or anything like that. As a result, I did bad my first year at the new college. My adviser told me I had to better. From that point on, I have a raising GPA every semester.

Now I have a B.S. degree in biology. I spoke with every single admissions counselor for the medical schools I plan on apply to and I explained my academic history and my work history.

Now I just have to retake the courses that I got Cs in and I can apply to medical school. I got a practice MCAT score of 33.

They all said that I'm a very strong applicant because of my upward GPA, potential MCAT score (just have to replicate it), and my work history (my work history involves a lot of stuff that I've been doing over the years).

Edit: I still have never stopped reading textbooks on my own nor stopped reading journals.

For everything that I do in my life since I left for college, I owe everything to my boss that hired me for that hospital position. I flat out told her she was the savior of my life. Without her, I would have been a nobody. She said she hired me because I was a nice person and I was a young and healthy body that could take the abusive work that the job entailed. Little did she know that she allowed a person that was loss a chance to discover what he/she (sorry, not going to say if I'm a male for female) is good at in life.

I didn't know how to pronounce the word DNA because I didn't take any hard science classes in high school. I never exposed myself to science in high school because I thought I was too stupid.
 
Please stay in school. Here is my story. When I was in high school, I was called dumb, stupid, and got picked on left and right. I was one of the least popular and spoken to students in high school. I got made fun of because of my huge muscles. I had a 2.25 GPA in high school (dead serious). I even got a 15 on my ACT (a moneky can get a 15). On the Saturday I took the ACT, I was asked by the most popular student in my graduating class why I bothered to show up to take the ACT. I flat out told him, I never said I was not going to go to college.

So graduation came and I graduated. Right after I graduated I moved away to a new city all by myself. I worked a bunch of different jobs for two years trying to find something that I could stand working. I couldn't find anything. One day I was looking for the most basic jobs there is at the local hospital. There was a Patient Transporter job posting. The job advertisement made the position sound like it was very basic work. So I said, "what the hell, might as well just apply to it." So a few months went by while I was unemployed and I got called in for an interview. A couple of weeks later I was hired as a Patient Transporter.

When I started the job, the co-workers thought I was in high school. I didn't talk to anyone. When I started training, it took me only two days to catch on to everything that the job required. I was asked if I was one of the A students in high school. I just said no. So I was giving my own freedom on the job on only my third day on the job.

A year went by with that job and I started to really enjoy it. So I started to spend time at the local medical library and was amazed at the stuff I was reading (even though I couldn't even pronounce the word DNA). So I checked out several basic science books (genetics, cell) and read the books. It took me months to understand any of it, but I fell in love with the material.

So I asked my boss if I could start a medical assisting degree at the local tech school. She said I could. Before I could take a class, I had to see if I could add, subtract, divide, and write English. I failed the test (yes, I'm serious). I told my boss that I failed the entry test and I couldn't go to school. My boss told me just to learn how to write English, learn the very basics of math and retake the test again. So I spent a few months doing that. So I took the test again. I passed the English part but failed the math part again, by only two points. So I got a tutor to help me learn math. So I took the test again in a couple of weeks later. I passed the math exam by 1 point.

So my first classes at the tech school were high school level math and English classes. I aced all of the courses. The next semester I took pharmacology, medical terminology, business ethics, and another course. I got a 3.5 GPA. At that moment I knew I could do this. I knew I could become a medical assistant. I was so happy. So that summer I spent most of my free time at the local medical library just reading medical/science journals and reading books. I started to become comfortable with the material and knew I could do better then being a medical assistant.

So that fall I started at the community college. I failed college algebra my first semester (retook it and got an A) but I got an A in genetics. I got put on probation. The next semester I got above a 2.0 GPA and was taken off probation. The next school year was better. By the time I transferred to a four year college, I had a 3.0 GPA...IN COLLEGE. I was pumped. I knew I could better my life.

Even though I was happy with how I did at the community college, I was stupid to do it on my own. I found out that I didn't know how to study, how to take exams, how to take notes, or anything like that. As a result, I did bad my first year at the new college. My adviser told me I had to better. From that point on, I have a raising GPA every semester.

Now I have a B.S. degree in biology. I spoke with every single admissions counselor for the medical schools I plan on apply to and I explained my academic history and my work history.

Now I just have to retake the courses that I got Cs in and I can apply to medical school. I got a practice MCAT score of 33.

They all said that I'm a very strong applicant because of my upward GPA, potential MCAT score (just have to replicate it), and my work history (my work history involves a lot of stuff that I've been doing over the years).

Edit: I still have never stopped reading textbooks on my own nor stopped reading journals.

For everything that I do in my life since I left for college, I owe everything to my boss that hired me for that hospital position. I flat out told her she was the savior of my life. Without her, I would have been a nobody. She said she hired me because I was a nice person and I was a young and healthy body that could take the abusive work that the job entailed. Little did she know that she allowed a person that was loss a chance to discover what he/she (sorry, not going to say if I'm a male for female) is good at in life.

I didn't know how to pronounce the word DNA because I didn't take any hard science classes in high school. I never exposed myself to science in high school because I thought I was too stupid.

Very inspiring story. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Very inspiring story

Did u ever think of going to the popular boys in ure high school that im in med school/med position??
 
Very inspiring story

Did u ever think of going to the popular boys in ure high school that im in med school/med position??

I added them to Facebook so I can do that in that fashion instead of face-to-face. I'm not in medical school yet though.
 
Haaa sry Besmart...but the line through your name kinda makes it look different. Stand out from the crowd!

Must be banned cuz of Facebook-🙁oops I said it. I hope I don't get banned..we'll see!
 
Possibly because he was re-opening a subject that the Mods obviously didn't want on here...
 
Possibly because he was re-opening a subject that the Mods obviously didn't want on here...

Can a mod close this thread please. Even though my name is in my userid, I do not want a thread title with my full name on it. If that makes any sense.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad